Why Thai banks are trying to charge you for cash at ATMs and branches

webfact

There's also the point that banks take your cash, then loan it out to others or invest it, and make a good return but give the 'owner' of the money a very small cut of the earnings.   

Bank gets the best deal / actual owner of the money gets little, but still has to pay various bank charges.

Banks don’t “take” your cash, you have to give it to them. If you don’t want to give to them, don’t. Do something else with your cash.

Seems to me that when the bank gets more interest on the loans they sell, I get more interest on the savings they hold for me.

Of course the bank gets a bigger portion than the customer does. They also carry most of the expenses and all of the risk. Bank goes tits-up, I still get my money...

Again, if you don’t like banks, don’t trade with them, or better, just open your own and you’ll be wealthy beyond belief.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And it’s typically the greediest squeaking the loudest about others being greedy...

Ooh. Someone doesn't agree... so he makes up stuff that pretends disagreeing is the right thing to do.

*yawn*

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Banks don’t “take” your cash, you have to give it to them. If you don’t want to give to them, don’t. Do something else with your cash.

Seems to me that when the bank gets more interest on the loans they sell, I get more interest on the savings they hold for me.

Of course the bank gets a bigger portion than the customer does. They also carry most of the expenses and all of the risk. Bank goes tits-up, I still get my money...

Again, if you don’t like banks, don’t trade with them, or better, just open your own and you’ll be wealthy beyond belief.

That's a fair conclusion to draw, I agree with that. Or you could make it so uncomfortable for the bank staff to have to cope with your hubris... management eventually gets the message.

Personally I tend to dislike most Thais and I have no problem telling them that when confronted with their widespread scorn for foreigners. Once is usually enough, there's the usual distribution of those who prefer not to talk to you again and those who try to get closer to you so you change your mind about them.

Water off a duck's back either way. Thais are most useful when they're a means to an end; same as their approach to foreigners. Quid pro quo.

That's a fair conclusion to draw, I agree with that. Or you could make it so uncomfortable for the bank staff to have to cope with your hubris... management eventually gets the message.

Personally I tend to dislike most Thais and I have no problem telling them that when confronted with their widespread scorn for foreigners. Once is usually enough, there's the usual distribution of those who prefer not to talk to you again and those who try to get closer to you so you change your mind about them.

Water off a duck's back either way. Thais are most useful when they're a means to an end; same as their approach to foreigners. Quid pro quo.

Too funny

27 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Issued from U.K. ? Don’t Amex hit you with a sizeable fee for doing that ? Haven’t done it for years but they certainly use to 

No, Norway. Not sure re AMEX fee. Don't usually do this but my Master expired. So I just tested.

Must say though, after having had Amex for more than 35 years,

The exchange rates that Amex offers beat VISA and Master hands down.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

I loved it, reading how miserable some people make themselves out to be always makes me feel better about my own lot in life.

Likee, readee. No likee no readee. Simple.

Nobody cares what you think either way.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:30 PM, darksidedog said:

while making money lending to others based on your deposits

How banks create money to hand out loans is very interesting.

I used to think it was actually all from deposited funds. Why are we as a society complacent to banks?

Banks cannot lose. A fantastic system. For banks anyway.

Bitcoin anyone?

www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/022416/why-banks-dont-need-your-money-make-loans.asp

20 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Wow - earlier you stated 'every single Thai is venal' - not sure how long it took you to get round to 69,000,000 people to determine that immature generalisation and now 'nobody cares' what another poster writes.

You seem to speak on behalf of a lot of people you don't know ! 

Oh puhlease. Credit me with a little of the knowledge you appear not to have, and spare me the pseudo-intellectual political correctness. If you don't know about Thais, then don't get involved in discussions about their culture. Know your limitations.

Like your friend Dave Mogan,  if you don't like, or can't understand, then don't read or don't reply. Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to comment and remove all doubt. I'll miss you of course, but I'll manage.

5 minutes ago, stud858 said:

How banks create money to hand out loans is very interesting.

I used to think it was actually all from deposited funds. Why are we as a society complacent to banks?

Banks cannot lose. A fantastic system. For banks anyway.

Bitcoin anyone?

www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/022416/why-banks-dont-need-your-money-make-loans.asp

Which is why the Sophonpanich fortune of dubious origin was used to buy a bank concession with all the promises of no effective competition.

Oh puhlease. Credit me with a little of the knowledge you appear not to have, and spare me the pseudo-intellectual political correctness. If you don't know about Thais, then don't get involved in discussions about their culture. Know your limitations.

Like your friend Dave Mogan,  if you don't like, or can't understand, then don't read or don't reply. Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to comment and remove all doubt. I'll miss you of course, but I'll manage.

No one cares what you think....

16 hours ago, KhunFred said:

can I walk into my local Bangkok Bank branch, where I have my account and get money off my American DEBIT card (from my credit union) without being charged a fee?

Yes, you can. Getting a so-called "cash advance" on your debit card is possible and currently free at BBL. It's a known method to bypass the ATM fee. Note that it is not free at all banks though (e.g. Krungsri charges 200 baht for the same service). It's not required to have a BBL account, by the way.

Note that since TiT, some branches (specifically, some clueless cashiers) will refuse to let you use the service because "sorry mister, cannot". Move on to the next branch in that case.

By the way, since you're an American, you should really just get the Schwab debit card. They will reimburse any ATM fees and you won't need the above silly hack.

Archived