Brake failure! Bus plows into cars, bikes and baht bus at Pattaya lights

webfact

Brake failure! Bus plows into cars, bikes and baht bus at Pattaya lights

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A pile up at the Thappraya intersection in South Pattaya yesterday left eight people injured and six vehicles badly damaged. 

The accident occurred as the driver of a bus coming from Jomtien lost control on the hill. 

Surat, 40, said she was travelling to South Pattaya with her foreign husband. The bus came along Thappraya Road at speed and hit their vehicle spinning it round several times before they hit a power pole. 

The bus then plowed into other vehicles waiting at the lights. 

The eight injured were in private cars and on bikes and were also passengers in a baht bus (song thaew). They were taken to several hospitals in the Pattaya area. 

The bus driver Thanawat, 50, said his brakes failed. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, webfact said:

The bus driver Thanawat, 50, said his brakes failed. 

What he really means is that he was hurtling down the hill, going way too fast and there was insufficient space left when he realised the lights were red. Combined with his incompetence and inability to use the gears in addition to the brakes, he is an idiot who should be taking the bus, not driving one.

10 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Why is the engine never used (downshift, lower gear, or use parking brake) on these supposed brake failures in an emergency/catastrophic situation?  Mind boggling 

Good point,but the guy has probably never been taught this or anything much about driving a large vehicle.

7 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Why is the engine never used (downshift, lower gear, or use parking brake) on these supposed brake failures in an emergency/catastrophic situation?  Mind boggling 

That involves thought....something alien to many thai motorists........:whistling:

I can say, hand on heart, that I dont normally 'hate' anyone, but I do hate this crowd of Muppets who drive these coaches. They are a menace. I make a point of never giving them an inch on the road, never let them out of side roads, never give way to them on lane changes and  always try to fxxk them up if I can and delay their mad dash ways.  Childish maybe,  unwise certainly, but it makes me feel like I'm getting my own back in some small way. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I can say, hand on heart, that I dont normally 'hate' anyone, but I do hate this crowd of Muppets who drive these coaches. They are a menace. I make a point of never giving them an inch on the road, never let them out of side roads, never give way to them on lane changes and  always try to fxxk them up if I can and delay their mad dash ways.  Childish maybe,  unwise certainly, but it makes me feel like I'm getting my own back in some small way. 

Yes childish. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

yes they are disgusting . I live in Pattaya north, they arrived in numbers 6 years ago and since then have taken over the roads and street parking , to the point the are a menace even when they are parked, its like trying to see at an intersection ,with walls of parked buses on all 4 sides ....but..i have seen a few newer quite buses with professional drivers who have obviously been trained in the laws and ethics of driving in a resort city..Pattaya needs some buses...we don't need the disgusting poorly maintained,smoke belching ,engine screaming buses driven by a lawless <deleted.>

If you ever see buses doing something stupid while you are driving, use your horn and make sure its a long  bleep at him.  If nothing else it will tell the bus passengers that their driver is being a dick.  Hopefully, it will impact negatively on the tip at the end of the day.  

19 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you ever see buses doing something stupid while you are driving, use your horn and make sure its a long  bleep at him.  If nothing else it will tell the bus passengers that their driver is being a dick.  Hopefully, it will impact negatively on the tip at the end of the day.  

the passengers are well aware of their driver's behaviour but lack the backbone and/or common sense to do anything about it.

A lot of people on here seem to know that the brakes didn't fail or that the driver was on the phone, wasn't;t trained etc. You people were not there, you have no privileged information. You people are simply guessing, and basing your condemnation of the driver on nothing but prejudice.

In my experience brakes do sometimes fail, I have had it happen to me in the past. It is very alarming when it occurs.

One of the issues in Thailand is a lack of maintenance. It is certainly a possibility that an ill maintained bus's brakes might fail. If you don't like Thailand and condemn the Thais so much why don't you go home? So much negativity is coursing through TV.

4 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

A lot of people on here seem to know that the brakes didn't fail or that the driver was on the phone, wasn't;t trained etc. You people were not there, you have no privileged information. You people are simply guessing, and basing your condemnation of the driver on nothing but prejudice.

In my experience brakes do sometimes fail, I have had it happen to me in the past. It is very alarming when it occurs.

One of the issues in Thailand is a lack of maintenance. It is certainly a possibility that an ill maintained bus's brakes might fail. If you don't like Thailand and condemn the Thais so much why don't you go home? So much negativity is coursing through TV.

If you read the drivers accounts of accidents in the news, it's almost always failing brakes.

This makes me a bit suspicious.

Meanwhile, quite often in the last few years, i have avoided collisions, in Thailand and home country, with drivers which were busy looking at their phones.

Sorry if that upsets you, but i won't leave Thailand, my choice is to stay away from the roads as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Can’t help but be astonished by the lack of responsibility here.  I’m pretty sure that is where people are coming from.  It’s almost 2019, and nobody can make changes that save Thai lives, and make the quality of life better for everyone.  It’s not being self centered to want Thailand to be safe and prosperous. How long have lived here?  And, you are assuming that Thai people don’t want these changes.  It’s the lazy corrupt officials that are responsible, and to some degree, the passiveness of the population.  More of us than you think are married and live here long term.  Some people don’t have enough money to move, and visas, and children...

it seems like you are the one that doesn’t care if the laws are enforced?

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Wow - just my opinion -  but sounds like you have a death wish....  3800 automobile deaths per Month in the USA - likely as many per capita in Thailand.  The automobile is a 2 ton death trap on wheels in many ways

Why press your luck?

(I dont drive here - but did back in the USA for 44 years) 

Archived