Brake failure! Bus plows into cars, bikes and baht bus at Pattaya lights

webfact

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Of course the brakes failed!  The brakes ALWAYS fail.  It's NEVER the fault of the driver.  Well, at least in Thailand. lol

OK, so if there are so many brake failures with public transport, over decades,  how come the police and other agencies haven't done something about this matter 20 years ago?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scorecard said:

OK, so if there are so many brake failures with public transport, over decades,  how come the police and other agencies haven't done something about this matter 20 years ago?

It appears obvious that brake failure has become the favourite excuse for every accident.

Sure, it can happen, but not that often.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What he really means is that he was hurtling down the hill, going way too fast and there was insufficient space left when he realised the lights were red. Combined with his incompetence and inability to use the gears in addition to the brakes, he is an idiot who should be taking the bus, not driving one.

Talking far too much sense.. but do we expect things to change ?

1 hour ago, RicUSA said:

Wow - just my opinion -  but sounds like you have a death wish....  3800 automobile deaths per Month in the USA - likely as many per capita in Thailand.  The automobile is a 2 ton death trap on wheels in many ways

Why press your luck?

(I dont drive here - but did back in the USA for 44 years) 

I dont take it to extremes as I am aware of my own mortality, I just dont give them an inch.  Like all bullies, they back off when challenged. 

It is a translation issue. Yes the brakes failed.  Translated should be:  "The brakes failed to stop the bus that I was driving 25 miles per hour over the speed limit, while completely ignoring the local  traffic conditions, the upcoming traffic intersection and its associated red lights.  And I was going down hill with an overloaded weight bus, and I had the bus in neutral to take advantage of coasting down the hill and saving diesel fuel.  And I failed to apply the brakes soon enough because my iphone stereo ear plugs were blasting loudly into my ears and I was distracted watching the movie playing on the Iphone I had on the dashboard" 

15 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

It is a translation issue. Yes the brakes failed.  Translated should be:  "The brakes failed to stop the bus that I was driving 25 miles per hour over the speed limit, while completely ignoring the local  traffic conditions, the upcoming traffic intersection and its associated red lights.  And I was going down hill with an overloaded weight bus, and I had the bus in neutral to take advantage of coasting down the hill and saving diesel fuel.  And I failed to apply the brakes soon enough because my iphone stereo ear plugs were blasting loudly into my ears and I was distracted watching the movie playing on the Iphone I had on the dashboard" 

And just on the left a girl in a mini skirt and a big pair of knockers was walking down the street and that was the main thing that distracted me, then the brakes failed.

This road is locally called F1 for good reason the hill ,the screaming motor bikes. the drivers flying down the road with their pedals to the metal

and the odd police riding their bikes like they are from another world

just another day in nolawland

Brake failure in Thailand is otherwise known as going too fast and the abs working in the rest of the world.some of the vehicles involved in brake failure look brand new so it don't have to be rocket science to work out what's gone wrong.how many of these operators are charged with failure to maintain safe vehicles? None and because when and if checked their brakes are ok.

18 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Why is the engine never used (downshift, lower gear, or use parking brake) on these supposed brake failures in an emergency/catastrophic situation?  Mind boggling 

They are never asked that question on there so called bus driving test because nobody has ever taught them how to drive a bus correctly. The test would go like this.  Can you tell me what buses are designed for? The answer probably would have been " To show other  drivers on the road your bus is bigger than what they are driving and to get out of the buses way" "" Always me me first"

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Because it would have a serious impact on the envelopes they receive for turning a blind eye

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Dear me, where to start?

1 hour ago, notamember said:

i was there, i saw it all, the bus did not decelerate at all

it was like a scene from movie, it just kept going until it had hit sufficient stuff to stop it

thank fully, i was not in the stuff it did hit

i would say the brakes failed based on what i saw

..Or the driver didn't even hit the brake at all.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:16 AM, Vacuum said:

I don't believe him!

me neither.....I been driving for over 40 years.....many kinds of vehicles NEVER HAD brake failure....SPEED looks like caused the bad accident....gears SLOW vehicles down and also applying the hand brake can stop a vehicle...even TURNING off the engine too

27 minutes ago, essox essox said:

me neither.....I been driving for over 40 years.....many kinds of vehicles NEVER HAD brake failure....SPEED looks like caused the bad accident....gears SLOW vehicles down and also applying the hand brake can stop a vehicle...even TURNING off the engine too

Any vehicle near salt water/aka seawater  (Gulf of Thailand, etc) will experience brake line failure (welded tubular steel lines most common on all vehicles) .  I've seen it and experienced it in the USA - Corrosion is not your friend, when it comes to brake lines.  

23 minutes ago, RicUSA said:

Any vehicle near salt water/aka seawater  (Gulf of Thailand, etc) will experience brake line failure (welded tubular steel lines most common on all vehicles) .  

So thats it then,  It was brake failure. case closed.

25 minutes ago, brling said:

So thats it then,  It was brake failure. case closed.

Didn't say that this case was brake failure - just replied to essox who said he never experienced brake failure in over 40 years.  I have and have seen it happen from corroded brake lines

On 12/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, samsensam said:

the passengers are well aware of their driver's behaviour but lack the backbone and/or common sense to do anything about it.

Once on an overnight bus trip ( My last)from Buri Ram to Pattaya the driver kept nodding off and i kept waking him until he threatened to put me off at a lonely spot. I ignored him and just kept doing the same.

25 minutes ago, RicUSA said:

Didn't say that this case was brake failure - just replied to essox who said he never experienced brake failure in over 40 years.  I have and have seen it happen from corroded brake lines

Would magical if all the lines would fail at the same time.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:13 AM, webfact said:

The bus driver Thanawat, 50, said his brakes failed. 

Technically he's right... the brakes indeed failed to stop the bus in time when he stepped on them about three seconds before impact. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, Vacuum said:

Would magical if all the lines would fail at the same time.

Doesnt take "all the lines".   Brakes work by fluid pressure, It only takes one small crack in one supply line or wheel cylinder and all the brake fluid leakes out pushing down on the brake pedal.  Once the brake fluid is gone you have no more brakes 

4 hours ago, RicUSA said:

Doesnt take "all the lines".   Brakes work by fluid pressure, It only takes one small crack in one supply line or wheel cylinder and all the brake fluid leakes out pushing down on the brake pedal.  Once the brake fluid is gone you have no more brakes 

Buses have air brakes.

https://www.europeanbrakingsystems.co.uk/history

Air brakes normally have a fail-safe system that automatically applies the brakes when air pressure is lost. So in theory a brake failure would involve an actual failure of the physical contact between the pads and the drums/disks. That would be quite unlikely on all wheels at the same time.

Also buses generally use engine braking extensively, and retarders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retarder_(mechanical_engineering)

I dont know to what extent any of these are fitted to Thai buses though, but it may be that the driver was using the brake pedal extensively rather than the other braking techniques, and that the brake pads failed as a result.

Archived