Leaving the country with Thai Child

My son has 2 passports (Thai/U.S.). Last time we left Thailand together on a trip, immigration at Suvarnabhumi grilled us to make sure he was my son, and being afraid to speak in Thai at the time, my son refused to answer the guy. We made it through eventually. I'm glad they do that to protect kids, but it also kind of made me worried we'd miss an expensive flight. Has anyone had any issues lately? Our names match on our passports. He leaves on Thai passport of course. Should I bring a copy of his birth certificate this time perhaps?

-What documents did they ask for last time?

-Why not carry every document you have, with copies, that just might be connected in some way?

-Will your son travel on the same passport as last time? Why not make several blown up photo copies of the details page and the page(s) with the previous departure and return immigration stamps?

I took my 11 yr old daughter to the UK last year, she left on her Thai passport but I handed over both passports to the Imm guy. He looked and both a stamped her out with no questions. We had a stop over in Denmark and the Danish Imm lady there was a different matter, she asked me and my daughter questions and I had to show her my daughter's BC and a letter from her mother giving her permission to go to the UK which had been stamped by the local amphur.

When we got to UK the Imm lady there, just asked my daughter 1 question and that was " Is this your Father? "

I just left Thailand 10 days ago with my Thai son to go to Paris.

Absolutely no questions asked at Suvarnabhumi.

To be on the safe side, I carried with me a short handwritten letter from his mother saying that she was allowing him to travel abroad with me, but I didn't use it.

Although some time ago, I traveled with my two young leuk krung daughters to the UK a few times with no questions asked at either end.  

The only time we've had to provide documentation was while living in the UK, taking our kids on holiday to Cyprus, we had to prove my wife's daughter (100% Thai) was in fact her daughter!

On 12/5/2018 at 6:08 AM, ubonrthai said:

Should I bring a copy of his birth certificate this time perhaps?

You didn't mentioned the age of your son, Thai authorities seem to worry about minor children being brought abroad without the mothers consent.

The birth certificate would not help, as it's not a consent from the mother to bring a child out of the country; it might not even be legal proof that you are the father.

You can obtain a standard letter from the local amphor office – same one-stop office that issue ID-cards – where the mother grants you permission to take the child out of Thailand. You'll need to bring the mum in person to the office, however check first what documentation the office wish you to bring, so you have the correct photocopies ready.

Last time I left Thailand alone with my then 12-year old daughter in May this year, I brought the letter, but we din't need to document anything. We have same surname, and the child dual nationality passport, and left the Kingdom on the Thai passport. Also two years before, no questions were asked when we left Thailand alone, i.e. without the mum. But just in case, I'll advise to have that letter made up, if possible, to avoid any problems and delays.

????

We went through today with no problems. 7yo answered basic questions in Thai with no problem and then they took us to another area for a photo together. Questions were “Is this your dad? Does mom know you are going? Why isn’t mom going?”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived