Too slow, poor service, not enough staff and corrupt - Dusit Poll gives Thai immigration the thumbs down!

webfact

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try doing a poll with 1 year visa holders, for me immigration is fine, my point is, its all those dam copy,s , my office has no copy service, or a list in english of what may be required, so for newbies i  must wait while it,s all explained to them,off they go go to get a copy of whatever they didn,t know about, and in this day and age they should just scan all the docs. even after they have all copy,s and photo,s, they then scan bank book,passport (and more ?),and take your photo with computer . DOH ! Thailand 0.4 ???????? 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:47 AM, ebean001 said:

I have been here for 12 years. Every 90 days...same same paperwork. Why not move it to 120 for people that have been here for 5+ years...or for everyone. Even 180 days. That would reduce the workload of collecting the same paperwork over and over again.

when renewing my retirement Visa, the guy completes many forms. Why so many? Just ask me if there are any changes. Then make me sign a form that states..'No Changes'. Then stamp the new Visa.

Bottom-line: I think providing the same paper work over and over again is a lose-lose situation. Implement the 'no change' form. Done.

It's called "Job Security".

6 hours ago, wcaldwell said:

I think some of the problems stem from Thailand trying to monetize tourist visas with fees and "make-work" jobs rather than look for efficient and streamlined solutions.  Look at their neighbours .. Malaysia.  90 day upon arrival.  No hassles, no extension fees, no cattle call at the local immigration office, no middle of the night border runs.

Thai airports have an officer with an electronic terminal that swipes your passport and can decide to allow you to enter or not.  Meanwhile, local immigration offices require forms, photos, interviews and 1900 baht.  Give the local offices the same electronic access and stop the madness.

What exactly do they do with all those forms and photos anyway?

While waiting yesterday, saw one of the many young trainees whose main task was to mule stacks upon stacks and bundles upon bundles of paperwork to an unknown location. Didn't see all these bundles stacked up in the corners of the cubicles like last year. Guess her job was to move them out of sight...to some obscure storage area...where they will never be seen or looked at again. 

Typically Thailand! :coffee1:

On 12/7/2018 at 9:27 AM, Longcut said:

It's called "Job Security".

When have government employee's ever had to worry about "job security".

It's simply complete incompetance of the system and of those in-charge of the debacle. It is of course fixable - but that's another story. 

Some grammar police posts and replies in violation of the following have been removed:

Forum Netiquette

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:54 AM, Halfaboy said:

When I read these results I am happy that I am dealing with Jomtien Immigration. It can always better but in general I am happy with their service.

I can't agree Jomtien provides satisfactory service for extension of stay. They don't provide sufficient service for retirement extensions. I know many people that have gone there at 1pm for retirement extensions, marriage extensions and told to come back another day preferably at 8am. 

On 12/6/2018 at 5:57 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

"...And a whopping 27% complained of corruption despite the Lt-Gen's "no tips" crusade..."

You mean merely putting up a sign that says "No Tips" didn't end corruption as we know it? That is shocking news! No way! I can't believe it! It is impossible!

I would have sworn that it would work...

(sarcasm alert)

I had cause to recently visit my local immigration office - I needed a residency certificate to renew my driving licence.

The last time, 2 years BJ (before Big Jok ???? ) the fee was B250, which was calmly tucked into the IOs shirt pocket. This time there was a prominently displayed sign stating "no tips". No charge was made for the residency certificate. However, when the IO checked on her computer, to confirm my address, she "discovered" that I had not re-registered my address after my last 3 monthly entrance/exit. The system knew to the minute when I had left and re-entered, it knew that I had declared my address on the "TM whatever" form when I had re-entered. I hadn't reported my 30 minute absence from the kingdom (which they knew about anyway)! 

That was a fine of B800 for me, and B500 for my wife. It wasn't until I got home and opened the envelope which they had given me, that I noticed that there was no receipt!

No tips! Righty ho...

Mind you, the medical certificate was only B80 (B150) last time. I had to take my own blood pressure, but the doctor did glance at me when he signed the certificate, through the little hatchway linking his consulting room and the receptionists desk!

On 12/6/2018 at 6:46 AM, coxo said:

No complaints with Udon Thani immigration, been dealing with them for a few years, very prompt service. 

That did seem to be a good office, but the lady at the bank across the street indicated they were pushing some to agents...but the paperless 90 day report was nice....

What would be really nice would be the introduction of some sort of centralised system which meant you didn't need 50 photo copies for each visit. Also, why can they not introduce staggered lunch breaks so some staff go from 11-12 and others go from 12-1, meaning they don't need to close the whole place for an hour or more. 

I was there not long ago to renew my Non - B. There must have literally been 10,000+ pieces of paper in that waiting room at Chaeng Wattana. What a completely ludicrous waste.

The UK don't get many things right, but when my wife went to do her extensions when we lived there it couldn't have been any simpler. Book an appointment, take your UK Visa card and the form and submit it. Done within 15 mins as everything is computerised. 

What would be really nice would be the introduction of some sort of centralised system which meant you didn't need 50 photo copies for each visit. Also, why can they not introduce staggered lunch breaks so some staff go from 11-12 and others go from 12-1, meaning they don't need to close the whole place for an hour or more. 

I was there not long ago to renew my Non - B. There must have literally been 10,000+ pieces of paper in that waiting room at Chaeng Wattana. What a completely ludicrous waste.

The UK don't get many things right, but when my wife went to do her extensions when we lived there it couldn't have been any simpler. Book an appointment, take your UK Visa card and the form and submit it. Done within 15 mins as everything is computerised. 

yes the experiences in having to go the immigration offices

yes they vary from place to place

yes it would most likely depend on the day

yes its is a double check on information you hand in

yes the support can be low and misunderstanding

yes retreating to its culture has its attitude towards respect

yes comparison has its pros and cons living here

yes you will most likely turn into a drunk

yes you will have an experience in bein cheated, robbed, and mislead

yes the cost living is gradually increasing year by year baht high

yes the expectations leaves only the imagination pondering whether to stay or not any longer in this country

I did my yearly extension this morning, took all of 30 minutes, guess it depends on the staff and their commitment without any BS. There is a sign up at the desks saying that long term extensions should take between 25 and 35 minutes if you have all your documentation, it is spot on, guess there are some offices that simply dont give  a sh*t and go slow, looks like our local office is one of the good ones and should get a big pat on the back

Well did 3 tasks today(christmas day) and all done easily and with good humour, I was having a chat with the IO and said yeah in Chiang Mai Chinese often just stop in the middle of the road causing traffic mayhem, I did have to bite my tongue at his question  of didnt the police do anything about them, it was then I was looking for a lightning strike to help me out when someone else interrupted him to get some information and I happily forgot to answer. 

No complaints really about the service itself. But it seems there are loads more Chinese now in the extension queues. Used to show up at 130pm and out by 330pm. Now show up at 1230pm, 4.5hr wait, out at almost 6pm. But extension done with zero hassle besides the wait. Staff all nice and friendly.

Archived