Too slow, poor service, not enough staff and corrupt - Dusit Poll gives Thai immigration the thumbs down!

webfact

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I don't want to fly out and come back an hour later...why can't they let me stamp in BKK somewhere?? I'm married with a Thai and when i have to go to immigration my wife even has to take a day off to join me since they can't speak a word english there.

But then the opportunity to show who's the boss would be missed. Same with what would, in effect be acknowledging the superiority of another language if they dealt with you in any language other than Thai (even though it's a dying language and in 50 years, nobody will even remember it).

Can't have that.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Kudos and cheers to whomever is running Hua Hin’s immigration services. Never once have been asked for a bribe and the staff (with the exception of one middle aged bitter woman) is always friendly, helpful and courteous.

They even opened a center in the mall to make 90 day checkin easier. 

I will second this. The centre in the mall is especially great for those on retirement visas, as you simply walk in any time of the day and perform the 90 day stamping; it's rarely got more than 1 person in there. 
But even the main immigration is a breeze, especially now that the mall location has opened, as it takes the old timers away thus freeing it up for everybody else 

5 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Kudos and cheers to whomever is running Hua Hin’s immigration services. Never once have been asked for a bribe and the staff (with the exception of one middle aged bitter woman) is always friendly, helpful and courteous.

They even opened a center in the mall to make 90 day checkin easier. 

I imagine it's a bit like the curate's egg. In KK, they offered me (and other regulars), a 90-day slip through the post for 1500THB per year. Corruption? Of course but useful (to me) corruption.

Then the Immigration police thought KK staff were corrupt. I got a visit from the police to check that my 90-day slip was valid. It was a bit demeaning and the 2 bobbies that called, while polite were clearly trying to bust me for offering a bribe. At my next visa renewal the 'service' had been stopped. One of the staff grumbled that their regional bosses thought they were corrupt.

Adding 2 and 2 makes 4 and doesn't need a calculator (always assuming you didn't go to school in Thailand).

Needs Lt Gen Surachate Hakparns to focus on providing efficient service & practices, e.g. removal of income confirmation by Embassies, BUT, Thai Immi not advised what confirmation will be required!!                                   Many areas need attention, reduction of forms & more electronic practices, in Bangkok, expand number of office locations for main services (Visas & Reporting) to have one location (Chaeng Wattana) ludicrous!!                              LtGen Surachate needs to get on & do what's needed & less on self promotion!!

18 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

But then the opportunity to show who's the boss would be missed. Same with what would, in effect be acknowledging the superiority of another language if they dealt with you in any language other than Thai (even though it's a dying language and in 50 years, nobody will even remember it).

Can't have that.

I'm my own boss since i've got the money.

As a revenge i bring my wife with me to Singapore, do maximum taxfree shopping and also buy as much as i can carry from the Singaporese department stores. Staff there is polite, well mannered and speaks good english.

I have been here for 12 years. Every 90 days...same same paperwork. Why not move it to 120 for people that have been here for 5+ years...or for everyone. Even 180 days. That would reduce the workload of collecting the same paperwork over and over again.

when renewing my retirement Visa, the guy completes many forms. Why so many? Just ask me if there are any changes. Then make me sign a form that states..'No Changes'. Then stamp the new Visa.

Bottom-line: I think providing the same paper work over and over again is a lose-lose situation. Implement the 'no change' form. Done.

It appears the respondents only had multiple choice options.

Wheres the complaints about lack of consistency across offices ?

AND across Consulates ??

Why do we constantly have to turn up at our "own" offices to know what the rules are when Immigration is  supposedly a Nation wide portfolio?

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

I'm my own boss since i've got the money.

As a revenge i bring my wife with me to Singapore, do maximum taxfree shopping and also buy as much as i can carry from the Singaporese department stores. Staff there is polite, well mannered and speaks good english.

That matches my own experience, though mine is quite a few years ago.

One way to even the balance (I have found), is to thank the staff for their good service (especially when it's been rotten), and give them a 5-baht tip. It's a great leveller, though it does make them furious and is not recommended if you have to go back in 90 days - it might well be remembered. Fortunately, many Thais don't have wonderful long-term memory. Odd thing though; it doesn't seem to make them quite as furious if you're dripping bling when you go, they seem to think you're an alpha if you have 2Kg of visible gold hanging off you - my missus told me that - shrewd woman my missus.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

KK Immigration is fast. Usually in and out in under 30 minutes.

IO have always been pleasant to deal with..

Kanchanaburi Immigration is fast and pleasant as well. Am usually in and out in 10-15 min. for my 90 day report, and under 30 min for my yearly extension (provided I don't have a brain fart and am missing a required doc).

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

They called for faster service at immigration offices and a better attitude from staff.

Impossible in this country, outsource the work to Singapore!

Very possible. Look at Jomtien/Pattaya: if you stayed inside more than 5 minutes for a Retirement Extension Renewal, then you were very unlucky or on an exceptionally very busy day :wink::cool:

Problem in Jomtien is the increasing corruption, mainly last 2 years :sad:

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

A simple 90 day stamp on arrival would solve most of the problems as a large number of people will enjoy their holiday and then leave within this 90 day period.

For the rest there could be extensions of say another 30, 60 or even 90 days.

People don't want to go to immigration when they're on holiday.

Make it easy for them, if they don't get what they want then don't expect them to all come back.

I know many people who cut short their yearly winter trips to avoid going to immigration for extensions, etc and leaving the country only to enter again for another stamp is just something that a huge number will never ever do - so they go home instead.

I completely agree. I never go to immigration, I stay 30 days and then I leave the country, sometimes I reenter by land border or by plane. If the Thai government doesn't want me spend money in the country, it is theyr problem, not mine.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I don't want to fly out and come back an hour later...why can't they let me stamp in BKK somewhere?? I'm married with a Thai and when i have to go to immigration my wife even has to take a day off to join me since they can't speak a word english there.

If you are married to a Thai and living here presently, does it not make sense to learn some common immigration phrases?  

I don't get some expats who come here long term but don't bother to learn local language.

went to chaengwattana 8 months ago and it was quite a free for all mess, no organised queuing system, been twice in the last six weeks and find it well organised and efficient. the staff i have dealt with have been professional and even friendly! no complaints at all.

Here on Koh Samui we still cannot do online 90 day reporting so if you live on one of the other islands such as Koh Phangan you have to get a ferry boat over plus a taxi to immigration it takes up most of your day just to confirm where you are living.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

A simple 90 day stamp on arrival would solve most of the problems as a large number of people will enjoy their holiday and then leave within this 90 day period.

For the rest there could be extensions of say another 30, 60 or even 90 days.

People don't want to go to immigration when they're on holiday.

Make it easy for them, if they don't get what they want then don't expect them to all come back.

I know many people who cut short their yearly winter trips to avoid going to immigration for extensions, etc and leaving the country only to enter again for another stamp is just something that a huge number will never ever do - so they go home instead.

Real tourist generally stay less than 30 days a 90day stay would be a waste of time only rewarding those who abuse the system. Their whining would increase to the unbearable level about how they are saving the Thai economy

Thailand should look at the Philippines,you can go for an initial month then go to immigration and get another year,no financials as far as i know,then when that is up you ask for another,after 3 years yes you have to leave for a day at least come back and start all over again,no 90 days or other nonsense,it's like wow they actually want me here,unlike Thailand,and have the Thai immigration heard of the concept of staggered lunch hours? It would seem not as they close from 12-1,so they can all sit together for lunch.

Ah, The Land of Smile, well, travelling to Thailand in many occasions the only smile I am getting

is on Thai Airways, on arrival all smiles just vanished and I am met with suspicious faces, as for long

waits I won't even bother commenting about it, as I don't think it'll ever change.

Quote: In Olympic times, has any Thai sportsmen ever won a medal with speed related sports.     

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

Here on Koh Samui we still cannot do online 90 day reporting so if you live on one of the other islands such as Koh Phangan you have to get a ferry boat over plus a taxi to immigration it takes up most of your day just to confirm where you are living.

If Immigration has stamped a years extension in your passport, what is the point of 90 day reporting. First they trust you for 365 days then 90 days later no trust, as a prisoner on remand you must report in? Scrub the 90 day process. Same with TM 30, if Immigration at the airport has checked you in the computer why the duplication 24 hours later; no other country in the world I have stayed or visited needs this stupidity. In fact developing nations in Africa have now deleted the incoming country form as it was a waste of time and expense, just need visa and scan one set of fingerprints.

My two cents worth, having used 2 different offices, Chiang Mai and Buri Ram, CM I gave up and used an agent, I spent 20 years in bloody lines waiting in the RAAF and dont want to continue and to get there at absurd hours plz, so sorry to those who feel this is wrong I was happy to spend my time as I wanted to, Buri Ram is a totally different story, never much waiting (you can strike a bad day), pleasant to deal with actually talk to you, well my partner who we exchange banter past and helpful in they usually even fill out my forms or some part of them. I know this can change as more ex pats come to the area, it wont effect me as I go back to Oz for 2 years to make my pension portable. But hopefully the online stuff will make it just that little bit easier.

16 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Thailand should look at the Philippines,you can go for an initial month then go to immigration and get another year,no financials as far as i know,then when that is up you ask for another,after 3 years yes you have to leave for a day at least come back and start all over again,no 90 days or other nonsense,it's like wow they actually want me here,unlike Thailand,and have the Thai immigration heard of the concept of staggered lunch hours? It would seem not as they close from 12-1,so they can all sit together for lunch.

Very accurate analysis of Thainess at work. No thought spared for anyone but themselves. They, especially the IO's, see us as blood sucking leeches to be dealt with accordingly. They would send us to 'farang' detention camps given half a chance...

22 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

Corruption will always be a part of Thai society, it is endemic in almost every aspect of life here. //

Corruption is part of every society, even your country.

And I disagree on many comments about corruption in Thailand. Sure the corruption level is high, but things are changing. Thai people are fed up of too much corruption and don't hesitate now to denounce it, thanks in part to Facebook and social media. I don't doubt corruption will decrease in Thailand in coming years. :cool:

57 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

That matches my own experience, though mine is quite a few years ago.

One way to even the balance (I have found), is to thank the staff for their good service (especially when it's been rotten), and give them a 5-baht tip. It's a great leveller, though it does make them furious and is not recommended if you have to go back in 90 days - it might well be remembered. Fortunately, many Thais don't have wonderful long-term memory. Odd thing though; it doesn't seem to make them quite as furious if you're dripping bling when you go, they seem to think you're an alpha if you have 2Kg of visible gold hanging off you - my missus told me that - shrewd woman my missus.

Call me an idiot if you like but i first hate to sit on those tiny chairs still wrapped in plastic among myanmar workers for 2-4 hours in row while my wife does all the paperwork.

Second i can't stand the inefficiency and no speaking english at IMMIGRATION, being treated like a criminal while i never ever did anything wrong. And why those agency-folks with 10 passports can jump the queue?? I have to wait for them? Come on.

Going there takes a full day for me and my wife so we go to Singapore to enjoy our time/money there.

And if anybody wants me to wait 4 hours i wish they have a nice restaurant with cool drinks/music/real chairs/tables and nice food...Oh and i also like to smoke in the shade in a clean smoking lounge (like Changi airport).

So nope, i won't go to their immigration anymore.

As an example for Phuket. I do not use the small office in Patong as they have a high proportion of tourists in there and pull all sort of scams.

In the main office in Phuket Town the only stunt they pull that I am aware of is the B300 for a Certificate of residence. They have made considerable improvements over the past couple of years- a drive thru window (albeit on the wrong side of the truck) being one example, moving retirement permits to a separate office another.  

Personally I think a lot of the slothfulness and lack of modernisation  is not about creating chaos but about providing jobs. If you have three people in employment instead of one  its good for them. Including the civvies there are FIVE(!) people just in the retirement permit office. A lot of the surliness I see is directed towards people who have not had the courtesy to properly prepare their paperwork or dress appropriately before interfacing with the IOs. I have never had any issues with the IOs in Phuket Town nd sympathise with them on occasion when I see the people they have to deal with.

On the entry side personally I have never had any issues or long delays on entering the country.

Archived