Too slow, poor service, not enough staff and corrupt - Dusit Poll gives Thai immigration the thumbs down!

webfact

35 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

My only serious complaint about Thai Immigration is the lack of information that is required to complete the process.  //

As an example the recent elimination of the income letters from the American and English embassies are a real opportunity for mischief. //

So your "only serious complaint about Thai Immigration" is something that doesn't depend of it !?? :unsure:

Thai Immigration never asked embassies to stop provide such letters. So please go complain to your embassy. :glare:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand should look at the Philippines,you can go for an initial month then go to immigration and get another year,no financials as far as i know,then when that is up you ask for another,after 3 years yes you have to leave for a day at least come back and start all over again,no 90 days or other nonsense,it's like wow they actually want me here,unlike Thailand,and have the Thai immigration heard of the concept of staggered lunch hours? It would seem not as they close from 12-1,so they can all sit together for lunch

YOU DIDN'T MENTION THAT YOU HAVE TO EXTEND THE VISA EVERY 2 - 3 MONTHS AT A COST. YOU ALSO NEED TO APPLY FOR THE SO CALLED ACR CARD. THE COSTS ARE ABOUT SAME IN THAILAND WHEN AN AGENT TAKE CARE OF ALL YOUR PAPERS, BANK ACCOUNT AND VISA - ONLY FOR RETIREMENT) 

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Corruption is part of every society, even your country.

And I disagree on many comments about corruption in Thailand. Sure the corruption level is high, but things are changing. Thai people are fed up of too much corruption and don't hesitate now to denounce it, thanks in part to Facebook and social media. I don't doubt corruption will decrease in Thailand in coming years. :cool:

Although I do agree with some of what you said, there is such thing as the Corruption Perceptions Index. Thailand annually fairs poorly in the list, highlighting that the need for reform is greater now more than ever. What the Thai's have done in recent years to placate the UN and ASEAN is to make it appear to the international community that they are implementing frameworks and strategies to combat corruption, whilst at the same time doing absolutely nothing domestically to tackle the issue. This problem is wayyyyy to long in the tooth to be fixed now. The guys at the top would't want that anyway, who is going to put their spoiled brats through international school then? 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

And a whopping 27% complained of corruption despite the Lt-Gen's "no tips" crusade.

So some of the 73% who didn't complain about corruption are maybe part of the "fee for service" use-an-agent crowd.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

What a joke! Sorry for the pun. Corruption is a lot higher than that!

This is Thailand corruption starts at the top and works its way down. Top = efficient seamless corrruption bottom your local chaps their share is minimal .  Bottom =  couldn't careless

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Very possible. Look at Jomtien/Pattaya: if you stayed inside more than 5 minutes for a Retirement Extension Renewal, then you were very unlucky or on an exceptionally very busy day :wink::cool:

Problem in Jomtien is the increasing corruption, mainly last 2 years :sad:

Correct I took my number on my last 90 day report at Jomtien before I got to sit down number was up

22 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

// to make it appear to the international community that they are implementing frameworks and strategies to combat corruption, whilst at the same time doing absolutely nothing domestically to tackle the issue. //

I would disagree about this "nothing".

When I bought my condo 10 years ago in Pattaya, I remember that the seller had to give an "envelope" at the Pattaya Land Office to "ease" the process. When I sold back this same condo this year, no "envelope" (and no money on any form) has been asked or given. :cool:

6 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:
1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Very possible. Look at Jomtien/Pattaya: if you stayed inside more than 5 minutes for a Retirement Extension Renewal, then you were very unlucky or on an exceptionally very busy day :wink::cool:

Problem in Jomtien is the increasing corruption, mainly last 2 years :sad:

Correct I took my number on my last 90 day report at Jomtien before I got to sit down number was up

Retirement extension renewals and 90 day reports are 2 very different things.

When someone claims retirement extensions take less than 5 minutes, then he's talking a lot of excrement.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I would disagree about this "nothing".

When I bought my condo 10 years ago in Pattaya, I remember that the seller had to give an "envelope" at the Pattaya Land Office to "ease" the process. When I sold back this same condo this year, no "envelope" has been asked or given. :cool:

Yeah I know. It's a lot easier these days, they use Prompt Pay instead

:coffee1:

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

I don't want to fly out and come back an hour later...why can't they let me stamp in BKK somewhere?? I'm married with a Thai and when i have to go to immigration my wife even has to take a day off to join me since they can't speak a word english there.

And you can't speak a word of Thai, even though you are MARRIED to a Thai women?!

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

And you can't speak a word of Thai, even though you are MARRIED to a Thai women?!

Granted learning Thai if you live here is a good idea but Immigration officers are employed to deal daily with foreigners. They also should have an inkling of foreign languages,

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

// When someone claims retirement extensions take less than 5 minutes, then he's talking a lot of excrement.

It was in fact less than 3 minutes the last time I made it. :wink:

Did you already made it in Jomtien ?

Reception makes a quick check of your file then give you a number for the Retirement desk where there is usually no wait but a few "helpers" who will check better (with extensive use of highlighter) and ask you for payment. You don't even have to do with the Immigration Officer. A 2 minutes job.

Edit: Of course 2 other minutes the following day to collect your passport and have your picture updated.

14 minutes ago, TPI said:

I've been going to Nan immigration for over 10 years, apart for one trip (demand for money) it's been a joy! Efficient staff, free coffee!

Have had four or five interactions with Nan Immigration over the past six months...all good. Although they did charge 500 baht for the Certificate of Residency.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

I don't want to fly out and come back an hour later...why can't they let me stamp in BKK somewhere?? I'm married with a Thai and when i have to go to immigration my wife even has to take a day off to join me since they can't speak a word english there.

...you're not on holiday though, are you!?

Get a marriage visa.

TO SLOW ??? NAAH, I have to wait 2 months for my resident papers in Chiang Mai ! ! ! !

The woman at the counter said that they don't have enough staff !?!?!?

Apparently they have a lot of time to play games on there mobile...!!! seen myself !!!

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

They should have conducted the poll at Chiang Mai 2 months ago. Those numbers would have doubled. A complete review of the unnecessary procedures and a real effort at getting things on a computer and hence removing the need for 2 copies of my wife's I.D card and house paper (which hasn't changed) for 25 years is in order. If only we could find out what passed between the visa agents and the immigration officers, then we would have a better idea of the scale of corruption. Substantial I'm sure. 

By far Chiang Mai immigration has to be the worse in the whole country. It`s hideously bad.

If you have a one year visa, multi entry, marriage, retired or whatever the 90 day check should be abolished

it's a pointless exercise... immigration say it's an address check, so why if you miss it you are suddenly an "over-stayer" when you have a visa for one year??

and don't say it can be done online either, that only works if your luck is in!

I've been retired here 10 years and have only managed to do online 3 times since it started, every other time I've had yo go to the office.

The other thing that really bugs me is you go to the office, take a que-ticket and sit down...

only to find an agent from a company with multiple applications is ahead of you... a ticket should be for one application, not one person with 10 sets of applications!!

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

If you have a one year visa, multi entry, marriage, retired or whatever the 90 day check should be abolished

it's a pointless exercise... immigration say it's an address check, so why if you miss it you are suddenly an "over-stayer" when you have a visa for one year??

I've been retired here 10 years and have only managed to do online 3 times since it started, every other time I've had yo go to the office.

The other thing that really bugs me is you go to the office, take a que-ticket and sit down...

only to find an agent from a company with multiple applications is ahead of you... a ticket should be for one application, not one person with 10 sets of applications!!

Agreed, surely all they need to do is say if you change your address please let us know by mailing us this form.

I used to do my 90 report by mail, but as you say, a pointless activity. Keeps lot of immigration people in work, I suppose!

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, surely all they need to do is say if you change your address please let us know by mailing us this form.

I used to do my 90 report by mail, but as you say, a pointless activity. Keeps lot of immigration people in work, I suppose!

Archived