World’s best restaurants named by Trip Advisor - and one is in CHIANG MAI!

webfact

World’s best restaurants named by Trip Advisor - and one is in CHIANG MAI!

dkCM.jpg

David's Kitchen//File photo

The review website Trip Advisor has released its list of the world’s best fine dining restaurants - and a restaurant in Chiang Mai features in the top 10.

The rankings have been released as part of the site’s 2018 Travellers' Choice Restaurant Awards.

According to the site, the tenth best restaurant in the world is David’s Kitchen in Chiang Mai, which has an average 5 star rating from 4,045 reviews, and includes comments such as:

“OUTSTANDING! The best restaurant during our entire visit to Thailand”

“This isn't a meal, it's an experience you will remember all of your life.”

“World Class Cuisine in Chiang Mai”

“This place has over 3500 excellent reviews for a reason!”

According to its website David's Kitchen is run by British expat and former theatre director David Gordon, who moved to Thailand 18 years ago.

Trip Advisor said restaurants were ranked using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for restaurants around the world, during a 12-month period.

"Millions of diners worldwide rely on TripAdvisor to discover their perfect culinary experience. The 2018 Travelers' Choice restaurant winners are what diners consider the best-in-class, and we hope these leaders in hospitality will inspire others to try something new," said Bertrand Jelensperger, senior vice-president for TripAdvisor Restaurants.

"Food and dining experiences can often be the main highlight of any trip or an evening out. Luckily, diners can use this list to find the ideal eatery for any occasion – from formal to casual and everything in between."

TripAdvisor's 2018 Travellers' Choice Restaurants Awards

World's best fine dining restaurants

1. Au Crocodile, Strasbourg, France

2. Martin Berasategui, Lasarte, Spain

3. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain

4. Restaurant Sat Bains Nottingham, United Kingdom

5. Restaurante Benazuza, Cancun, Mexico

6. La Colombe, Constantia, South Africa

7. TRB Hutong, Beijing, China

8. Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy

9. The Grove Auckland Central, New Zealand

10. David's Kitchen, Chiang Mai, Thailand

11. Adam's, Birmingham, United Kingdom

12. Maido, Lima, Peru

13. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India

14. Restaurant Christopher Coutanceau, La Rochelle, France

15. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, Great Milton, United Kingdom

16. Gabriel Kreuther, New York City

17. Ristorante Lido '84, Gardone Riviera, Italy

18. Epicure, Paris

19. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain

20. Ciel Bleu Restaurant, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

21. i Latina, Buenos Aires, Argentina

22. Da Vittorio Brusaporto, Italy

23. Tin Lung Heen, Hong Kong

24. Europea, Montreal, Canada

25. Daniel, New York City

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-05

Nothank you would never believe anything on Trip Advisor. My friend has a guesthouse in Chiang Mai one of his guest complained he had no parking, but he had not advertisted parking and the guest didn't have a car to park.

I don't recommend any place which I like on TripAdvisor, at least not if I intend to go there again. Why? Because I don't want that it will fill up with lots of people - many of them tourists.

I wonder how many of the people who recommended good places come back later to find out it's now full or tourists and the prices are up. Or they don't get a table at all because it was fully booked - thanks for your recommendation.

Funny how the parameters are changing !!!....

yesterday it was a bunch of corrupt Michelin or Gault & Millau "experts" who had the power to introne or destroy an establishment that was generally out of reach for many........

..........today it's you and me..chosing more modest restaurants and giving views with ratings !!!...and it motivates a larger scope of restaurants to improve their service and to treat all customers with the value for they money, as they are aware that anybody can destroy their reputation overnight.....a good thing on the whole that has a merit to be democratic leaving anybody to choose and comment.........(obviously a restaurant can ask 50 or 60 buddies to sign in and give it good reviews, but still.....still....)

Hahaha - they can’t be serious - 10 best in the world ???? I do have 3 very good friends who achieved Michelin Stars in their restaurants - they would be laughing there a.. off!
Had dinner at David’s kitchen twice very clever marketing technics to be fair and constantly soliciting TripAdvisor ratings from guests verbally and by mail - again fair enough it’s a business. Reality - service maybe 4 out of 10 - food maybe a 5 out of 10. And believe me when it comes to food and fine dinning I know what I am talking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Funny how the parameters are changing !!!....

yesterday it was a bunch of corrupt Michelin or Gault & Millau "experts" who had the power to introne or destroy an establishment that was generally out of reach for many........

..........today it's you and me..chosing more modest restaurants and giving views with ratings !!!...and it motivates a larger scope of restaurants to improve their service and to treat all customers with the value for they money, as they are aware that anybody can destroy their reputation overnight.....a good thing on the whole that has a merit to be democratic leaving anybody to choose and comment.........(obviously a restaurant can ask 50 or 60 buddies to sign in and give it good reviews, but still.....still....)

I think the problem these days is that so much is published on the internet that nobody knows anymore what the truth is.

People lie and don't tell the truth - for whatever reason.

I read some reviews from some people and I wonder: Did they actually visit that place?

Lots of fake news - not only in Trump-Land...

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Trip Advisor is the last place I'd look for recommendations. All sorts of nOOb travellers sighing "oh so exotic!" while gnawing on some shoe sole fried in old diesel oil.

Indeed...

Always be suspect towards any such superlative listing/rating of anything. 

Reviews and particular opinions are like anuses - everyone has one and not one exceeds the other.

One could poll a hundred different folks and receive a hundred different replies.

Why are so many swayed so easily?

????

The problem with these ratings is that they are done by People. And depending who these people are, you may get the right or wrong results for you. Happened to me in a College Town. Best rated places overall where not what I would consider great, rather the opposite. Would be good to get custom picks depending on your preferences. A fantastic Restaurant for one is perhaps not so great for someone else. The whole notion of best Restaurant in the world is ambitious. 

There was guesthouse in Phnom Pehn that had a negative review because he aledgedly had underage girl prostitutes visiting all the time. Problem was that he had been closed for months for renovations and the reviewer had never stayed there. The forum refused to remove the post. So he did some investigation and found the reviewer was a NGO worker who was based in the USA so he sued. Got enough to pay for his renovations because the reviewer was dead to rights and could not substantiate one iota of her claims. In fact was not even in Cambodia when she said she stayed there.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't recommend any place which I like on TripAdvisor, at least not if I intend to go there again. Why? Because I don't want that it will fill up with lots of people - many of them tourists.

I wonder how many of the people who recommended good places come back later to find out it's now full or tourists and the prices are up. Or they don't get a table at all because it was fully booked - thanks for your recommendation.

And some Thai mon and pop restaurants cannot handle full capacity AND provide the same level of quality and service as before. They are only good when doing at their own pace.

16 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Hahaha - they can’t be serious - 10 best in the world ???? I do have 3 very good friends who achieved Michelin Stars in their restaurants - they would be laughing there a.. off!
Had dinner at David’s kitchen twice very clever marketing technics to be fair and constantly soliciting TripAdvisor ratings from guests verbally and by mail - again fair enough it’s a business. Reality - service maybe 4 out of 10 - food maybe a 5 out of 10. And believe me when it comes to food and fine dinning I know what I am talking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think the best food in south east Asia are those one dish hawker in food courts ( as in Singapore) whose owners had  years of experience in doing only one dish ,fine tuning until it is perfect. Ambiance may be lacking but if it is good authentic food you are looking for, this is the way to go. I had eaten at various fine dining restaurants that were rated very highly . Top marks for the furnishings,  location and service. But food? acceptable at best ... 

with the price to match.!

5 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

The problem with these ratings is that they are done by People. And depending who these people are, you may get the right or wrong results for you. Happened to me in a College Town. Best rated places overall where not what I would consider great, rather the opposite. Would be good to get custom picks depending on your preferences. A fantastic Restaurant for one is perhaps not so great for someone else. The whole notion of best Restaurant in the world is ambitious. 

When reading ratings, you got to gauge the type of people rating it and keep some skepticism in the back of your mind. I had read some fantastic ratings by some people who are not used to good food at a reasonable price. They rated the food with the attached cheap price in mind and so of course if the food is cheap and satisfying, they rated it highly. When I tasted it, I would only give it an average rating because compared to other restaurants ( with a higher price ) it is not much different. So a value for money meal  does not necessarily translate into a high rating for food quality. 

13 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

When reading ratings, you got to gauge the type of people rating it and keep some skepticism in the back of your mind. I had read some fantastic ratings by some people who are not used to good food at a reasonable price. They rated the food with the attached cheap price in mind and so of course if the food is cheap and satisfying, they rated it highly. When I tasted it, I would only give it an average rating because compared to other restaurants ( with a higher price ) it is not much different. So a value for money meal  does not necessarily translate into a high rating for food quality. 

You are right about gauging the people who rated a place. What great food is, is another question. Probably philosophical. To me even a "hot dog stand" can be highly rated, if their product is great, tasty, fresh, well prepared and presented. A cheap price must never be an excuse for mediocre food.  

This is trip advisors own best restaurants so wouldn't be believing too much what's written .

I went to a restaurant in Vietnam few months ago that was number 6 out of 900 or so .Reviews looked good as did all the photos so I gave it a try. It was so so , spent dinner with staff asking questions every time I went to take a bite , standing watching from 6ft away , food was bland and people in the pool 10 ft away shouting and splashing away didn't make for pleasant dinner. I reviewed it 3/5 and pointed out what I did and didn't enjoy and was contacted by the hotel after my review was posted asking me to remove the review as it dropped them 6 places and they didn't think it was fair. They then offered me 50% refund to remove it , so I refused and said what would be the point of the site if people buy off bad reviews . I mostly only use it for hotel bookings and also where I live I know how easy it is to manipulate the rankings as many new restaurants do it when they open and suddenly get in the top 10 of over 1000 .

Good restaurant, but there are a lot of articles out there about how to game Trip Advisor for higher rankings. I place zero faith in that site after reading a few of those articles and having been burned multiple times.

That said, for those who do use the site, this is a big win for a local restaurant!

• 3 months later...

IMG_4856.PNG

Proberbly trip advisor forget to vote my favourite Wiener schnitzel Restaurant in the Austrian mountain ! Big schnitzel and grill menu for 2 people must order one day before to get this size here in thailand I must order proberbly 7 or even 10 menu ! Where trip advices shows pics of the served menu I cannot see them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived