Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

I have been in and out of Thailand for years.  The longest I stayed in Thailand was three months.  

Now my wife has been talking about buying a condo there.  She wants to put me in it and let me live in Thailand.  

She began talking like that after I stayed in Thailand about 2 years ago for the three months.  My monthly expenditures averaged $800.00 US a month.  That made her very, very happy!  This is a woman that would brag to me about how she spent less than $1.00 US for lunch while at work.   She says I spend too much money here in the U.S..  

Perhaps I do, perhaps I don't.  She also thinks that sending me 65,000 Baht a month would be fine.  That is a lot less than I spend here each month and that isn't counting the mortgage and utilities, just what I spend on other stuff.  

It would be my wife that buys the condo.  Her income is much more than mine since about June or July of this year.  I could live several months in Thailand on what she earns in one.  

My wife is from Thailand by the way.  Loves money.  Hardly spends it.  

I still have some residual memories of living in Thailand in the early 1970's up in  Udon Thani.   It was cheap back then.  I could have lived on $200.00 a month and been a high roller too.  Now, not so much.   

I think if I were to live in Thailand for a year, I would be spending upwards of $1000 to $1500 a month, but that would include rent if I moved up country from Bangkok.  Or maybe less than $1000.00.  I would only know if I were stay there more than three to six months. 

As for my opinions of living in Thailand.  That may depend on how I tolerate the heat.  When I was young, I never noticed it unless I was in direct sunlight. 

At my older age now, I have less tolerance to standing, which I do a lot of when I take the MRT or BTS.  My knees are giving out due to excessive hiking up and down mountains with packs that were about equal to half my body weight.  I prefer western food more than I do Thai food now.  

Other than those things, of the top of my head, I like the other aspects of living in Thailand.  

Edited by radiochaser

17 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

It is one thing to make your decisions, but this post is focusing on how much of the decision making to live, stay, die in Thailand is made strictly due to personal financial situations?

Probably a wide variety of reasons why someone wish to live in Thailand – also forever – some partly live here, as you say, and some decide enough-is-enough and return home. However, money is often, if not the only, then one major aspect; even when coming mainly because of the warm weather, or the beautiful smiling ladies.

Some expats, if not many, are financial refuges from their home country, as a low government retirement pension, or just a low retirement income from whatever sources, hardly can provide for a decent life-style, whilst living in Thailand the same funds seem to "last longer", i.e. you can buy a better life-style, also because of climate and lower rent for a home compared to for example colder home countries; even with enough funds, you might find a better way of living for you savings.

Probably the kind of "financial refuges" in various levels are a major part of expats – including myself, that can obtain a better happier life-style in Thailand than the same amount of money would provide for for in my home country – but it's not that straight forward, as issues like health and health-costs also are important factors, and school and education if you have a child or children here. Furthermore, folks from some countries might not look forward to spend their last time in a home for elderly people – including myself – but rather prefer the (still) affordable better service that can be bought here, or future elder-care is part of an "agreement" for financial sponsorhip of a Thai partner.

Those that have money enough, or are just (filthy) rich, probably care less – and why should they, money is not something they talk about, it's something they have – we all know that money can buy excellent VIP-service in Land-of-Smiles. However, as they also don't seem to be the majority of regular posters in Thaivisa forums, we might not know so much about them from reading the posts here – I know for example about a fellow dollar-billionaire countryman that decided to live as a Buddhist monk here – but some of them must be buyers of the ongoing constructions of villas and houses in the 50+ million baht range aimed for foreigners.

And don't forget that a number of expats might have started out with all the right financial conditions for a perfect otium in Land-of-Smiles, but something went wrong en route. For example the "how to make a minor fortune in Thailand is to begin with a major fortune"; lost illusions of partnership or marriage; lost lifelong savings because of divorce or "rip off", i.e. the many horror-stories we hear – don't forget that "Thai ladies have been voted as the best housekeepers in the World, you buy, they keep" – some of these expats had no other choice than returning to their home country, often bitter over the lost illusions; I've met a number of them.

So in answer to the OP question: "Would so many expats be so gung-ho living in Thailand if they had the financial freedom to make others choices?"

Probably not "so many expats", but still quite a number – including me...????

• Like 2

As to opinions and the finances....it is the same world over. Having money also is collalated to education and living standards in the home country. There are many of us here, in large measure, because we cannot live as well on the same retirement income in the home country. At $2400.00 per month, I am priced out of the U.S. market, at least in having the car, motorbike, 3 bed- 3 bath home and a family of 3. Here, I live a working middle class life style in that many in the working middle class in the western nations have been priced out of by the income/wealth gap squeezing working people over the past 30 - 40 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Isnt that what every expat that runs out of money does.. 

Western social safety nets, free housing, free healthcare, pension support cheques, etc etc etc.. Plus the ability to make proper money. 

Also in the big picture theres 'net monthly' in asia I only spend, in the west making money is trivially easy, so when thats factored in west is far cheaper.. How many expats come here with nothing and end up rich v how many come here with assets and go home broke ?? 

Your post is missing one major factor. Making money in the West is only easy if you are a successful self-employed entrepreneur, or securely employed in a full-time job. Just ask the Millennials what percentage of them are employed 5 days a week.

If you are in your 50's, 60's or older in Australia, forget it. Age discrimination is so entrenched HR departments will only consider people in their 30's. Even the 40's gets a question mark.

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe I could start a thread on "why do those that move back to their countries, come on here frequently, bashing Thailand, and people who choose to reside here ?"

Does it ring a bell ?

Or Mixed feelings about living in Thailand aka another teenage English teacher goes broke in the land of smiles. 

9 hours ago, murraynz said:

what i cant understand is----how do so many people get to retirement age, after 45yrs of potential working time...yet they havent accumulated enough savings ,assets, passive income to provide for a good retirement.

so many dont even have enough to deposit the 800,000thb in bank for visa..{its a pittance,realy}

scrimping and scraping in retirement is not at all clever...prepare for retirement, we may live 30 yrs past 65..

i dont feel sorry for the people who havent saved---they must have boozed or lived over -extragantly, in their early years...

moving to a country with cheaper cost of living-doesnt always solve the problem....

Coming in 3...2...1

The inevitable "Dump on people with less money than you" post or as described in a similar thread "The lack of compassion" TVF poster competition.

Post #14 and we have a WINNER!!!

DING DING DING!!!

Amazing it took that long.

You too can be Jeff Bezos (well...relatively speaking) for 15 minutes on TVF.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Sad 1

I am comfortable if not rich and I eat like a king. But.......my opinion of Thailand takes a huge hit every time I get behind the wheel of my truck and watch the antics of the Thai drivers and their complete ignorance and ignoring road laws.

One intent of this post was the rigorous defense by those living in Thailand at any cost, even it means teaching English or other low paying jobs.

These folks seem to defend Thailand more than the average poster ever would and to them Thailand seems like the only answer.

Defending Thailand to the point that in their opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with Thailand.

Perhaps these people have wised up to the fact that this is all there is for their lives and they have happily accepted into it?

However, as we have seen in recent TV news, issues such as the income letter, etc. can raise the tempers of many that consider Thailand their final stop in life.

Through all the not so useful posts, there is always a some useful answers from posters that can help others rationalize their decisions.

For myself, moving back to the USA has been a complete blessing.

Reflecting back, there were a hell of a lot of good times in Thailand, and also a hell of a lot of not so good times. If you ever were caught in the middle of the flood in 2011 that would be a not so good time.

So back in Corporate America, I see myself having a fine retirement, when I get to that age.

However, and (many years will pass and who knows how Thailand will change with the next govt), I try to reflect on why it is I feel I would never retire in Thailand full time if I didn't have to financially?

I can understand posters from the UK that say the weather, although the heat/humidity/monsoons of Thailand are not a luxury that's for sure

Not getting over the fact if your wife dies before you and ever thing is in her name

Not wanting to eat Thai food every single day of the week

Ungodly traffic

Trash dumped every where and anywhere

So my option would be Isaan to avoid a lot of that

Not much to do in Isaan, not much going on or things to worry about. At retirement age, probably good not to worry about much

My other option from Florida USA, is there is a heck of lot of nice spots in the Caribbean that are closer and more friendly.

The decision does not have to be made because of lack of money

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I stay in Thailand because of money.  I have a new house and new wife for 90% less than they would cost me in Florida where I came from.  With that other 90% I have fun.  90% more fun than I had in Florida. 

I'll include a photo of what I think retirement life is like in the USA.  ????

ca.jpeg

It;s good to have something to aspire to.

52 minutes ago, JAFO said:

As I see it, You always start a thread and in it are always hidden agendas to some how berate others for why they are in Thailand

How about this gem from a recent thread on TV.   :   It only adds to the sum total of human misery to have yet another thin-skinned, self-righteous and easily-manipulated old man trapped in the wilds of Sakhon Nowhere, stubbornly living a lonely life surrounded by vultures and cutting himself from potential friends because he feels he is more virtuous than them, on the basis that he "lives like a Thai".
Sounds like something out of a Michael Moore novel..or Private Dancer......but no, a real life post from one

of our members.   Fortunately some of our insightful members see the agendas quite clearly.  

Anyway, sorry for the detour,  but of course money makes the world go round.  How much one has or what they choose to do with it is as variable as the opinions on beauty.  To answer the OP,  I for one chose to live in Thailand for the much more relaxed lifestyle and friendliness of the average thai person.  The frustrations that annoy many westerners here are minor to me compared to the ones I felt in the usa.  If i had a lot more money the only thing i would change is to build a great dome over my property and have the temperature set at 25 degrees C   ( 77 degrees F ) .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your post is missing one major factor. Making money in the West is only easy if you are a successful self-employed entrepreneur, or securely employed in a full-time job. Just ask the Millennials what percentage of them are employed 5 days a week.

If you are in your 50's, 60's or older in Australia, forget it. Age discrimination is so entrenched HR departments will only consider people in their 30's. Even the 40's gets a question mark.

If your a loser your a loser sure.. Thats a given.. I am not suggesting getting a job at the post office or working into your 50s. 

But making money in the west is trivial.. I can work part time a few months of the year and make multi 100k.. I have no special skills or qualifications, just not bad at hustling up business. 

I started 2 'millennials' last year, one 21 one 24.. They are both making north of 125k per annum now and I expect to double that pay by this time next year. Quarter mil a year in thier low 20s. Cant say how hard it is when I do it routinely. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The go go photo is sad for Americans who are jealous of the expats living in Thailand. 

Well then it does not explain why I said both photos were sad in their own ways

Have probably lived in Thailand as long or longer than you & am sure not jealous of those

who consider your retirement picture anything to be proud of ???? But being proud of that photo is pretty much why it is sad isn't it? In its own way of course. ????

2 hours ago, rumak said:

If i had a lot more money the only thing i would change is to build a great dome over my property and have the temperature set at 25 degrees C   ( 77 degrees F ) .  

If I had more money it would just sit in the bank with the rest of my money.

I can't think of anything I want to buy, that I don't already have.

• Like 1