Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If I had more money it would just sit in the bank with the rest of my money.

I can't think of anything I want to buy, that I don't already have.

I feel the same.   (except for that dome )   From your posts you enjoy the outdoors and exercise, as do I.

But most afternoons I am stuck indoors because of the heat.....unable to do much except be entertained

by the variety on TVisa.  Would much rather putter around in my garden.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, Peterw42 said:

Of course it is money, 90% of us are here because we can have a better (or at least equivalent) lifestyle than back home. For less money.

I dont think anyone has ever moved back home because its cheaper. 

Coming to live here on a fixed retirement income makes perfect sense. Few would question or criticize how, why etc. The thing I often dont understand is when people start quoting monthly budgets and condo prices etc, far in excess of what they would spend to live well back home. That is the thing I would question, why come to live in Thailand for the same cost or in excess of what a comfortable life back home would cost. Maybe climate, beaches etc comes into the equation for Brits and Europeans etc but for America and Australia etc we have the climate options as well.

There is no such thing as a fixed retirement income when living abroad if pensions come from our home countries. Our foreign pensions incomes are determined by the bank currency exchange rates. If for example the baht rates are low, it could mean they have less value then if drawing the pensions in our own countries, even if the cost of living in Thailand is cheaper depending on how strong the baht and how weak our source currencies. For example UK sterling has crashed through the floor over the last few years.

It`s down to forward planning and not living for today. Unfortunately money is the number one deciding factor when considering living in Thailand and health should be number two. It has to be analysed how much minimum income is it possible to live on in Thailand that covers all expenses and immigration requirements, not oh well, I`m OK today and not worry about tomorrow.

One has to be realistic and realise we are all governed by financial circumstances and if don`t have, can`t have, which applies everywhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or already had. And got bored with it. 

if i had more money i'd buy new tires for my Learjet and my wife could perhaps give up one of her three jobs as a cleaning lady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread, in my opinion, apart from the concerns raised about money in the bank vs monthly revenue, the criticism/opinions of Thailand would not appear to be the lesser funded retiree.

The regular complaints of Farang cannot own land, own a house, surely do not come from those who would not afford such if offered the opportunity?

The constant moaning about traffic, driving, surely comes those who can afford a 600k ute?

The complaints of 'my Thai wife cost me a fortune' surely come from those who were monied at the time?

The complaints on the rise in the price of wine.......

Seems to me the opinions on Thailand are down to expectation........and the monied expect......the lesser funded retiree is more likely to appreciate the everyday joys Thailand bestows

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

One intent of this post was the rigorous defense by those living in Thailand at any cost, even it means teaching English or other low paying jobs.

These folks seem to defend Thailand more than the average poster ever would and to them Thailand seems like the only answer.

Defending Thailand to the point that in their opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with Thailand.

Perhaps these people have wised up to the fact that this is all there is for their lives and they have happily accepted into it?

However, as we have seen in recent TV news, issues such as the income letter, etc. can raise the tempers of many that consider Thailand their final stop in life.

Through all the not so useful posts, there is always a some useful answers from posters that can help others rationalize their decisions.

For myself, moving back to the USA has been a complete blessing.

Reflecting back, there were a hell of a lot of good times in Thailand, and also a hell of a lot of not so good times. If you ever were caught in the middle of the flood in 2011 that would be a not so good time.

So back in Corporate America, I see myself having a fine retirement, when I get to that age.

However, and (many years will pass and who knows how Thailand will change with the next govt), I try to reflect on why it is I feel I would never retire in Thailand full time if I didn't have to financially?

I can understand posters from the UK that say the weather, although the heat/humidity/monsoons of Thailand are not a luxury that's for sure

Not getting over the fact if your wife dies before you and ever thing is in her name

Not wanting to eat Thai food every single day of the week

Ungodly traffic

Trash dumped every where and anywhere

So my option would be Isaan to avoid a lot of that

Not much to do in Isaan, not much going on or things to worry about. At retirement age, probably good not to worry about much

My other option from Florida USA, is there is a heck of lot of nice spots in the Caribbean that are closer and more friendly.

The decision does not have to be made because of lack of money

Isaan...God's waIting  room.

"Old  enough to know better but too young to care.????

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Isaan...God's waIting  room.

"Old  enough to know better but too young to care.????

I say Isaan because almost everyone in my wife's village is related, over 100 or so relatives. 

When I say nothing to do, that is exactly what I mean however there would always be relatives over to the house; which I suppose is better than being alone.

I am sure at some age, (Maybe not because my wife's grandfather is 97 and still puttering around on his motorbike), all one can hope for is puttering around the house and having someone to look after them.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, Nyezhov said:

Im here because I cant do winter, and am bored in the USA looking at the same sh*t every day. Plus my girlfriend drives me nuts.

That says it all.......the ex-girlfriend in the US I presume

On 12/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, murraynz said:

what i cant understand is----how do so many people get to retirement age, after 45yrs of potential working time...yet they havent accumulated enough savings ,assets, passive income to provide for a good retirement.

so many dont even have enough to deposit the 800,000thb in bank for visa..{its a pittance,realy}

scrimping and scraping in retirement is not at all clever...prepare for retirement, we may live 30 yrs past 65..

i dont feel sorry for the people who havent saved---they must have boozed or lived over -extragantly, in their early years...

moving to a country with cheaper cost of living-doesnt always solve the problem....

In one case I know about, he developed Cancer, was convinced by his bar stool friends that he had to go back to US for treatment, his Medical Insurance only paid so much, his cost share bankrupted him, he's back in Thailand cancer free, and living the life of a pauper, on maybe 40000 baht a month.  In hindsight, he could have gotten the same treatment here for 1/3'd the cost, but his US Insurance wouldn't cover him here.  I think I would have given Thailand a try first, some of the Health Care I have seen here is worldclass.:sorry:

2 hours ago, Naam said:

i humbly beg to differ.

I differ too.  I think most of those complaints come from blokes who could not afford landed property if it was available to them, but it makes themselves feel happier to pretend that they don’t have an extensive estate for reasons of xenophobic legal restriction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

i humbly beg to differ.

Accepted to an extent, moaners who moan for the sake of a moan, will moan regardless of financial status, in which case their criticisms/opinions are not valid in the discussion

Most retirees I know out in the rural areas have built a home, so they are not too concerned about ownership ????

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, murraynz said:

what i cant understand is----how do so many people get to retirement age, after 45yrs of potential working time...yet they havent accumulated enough savings ,assets, passive income to provide for a good retirement.

so many dont even have enough to deposit the 800,000thb in bank for visa..{its a pittance,realy}

scrimping and scraping in retirement is not at all clever...prepare for retirement, we may live 30 yrs past 65..

i dont feel sorry for the people who havent saved---they must have boozed or lived over -extragantly, in their early years...

moving to a country with cheaper cost of living-doesnt always solve the problem....

Sadly you are correct in that so few people percentage wise save for retirement.  Most don't have a plan.  Most don't have an investment strategy.  Those that save, have no idea how to earn simple bond interest or stock dividends.  So many have financial advisors (so called) that are idiots and themselves are broke.  I am an engineer and daily I see dozens of people with zero financial acumen, yet they can build the most complex Matlab simulations, crunch numbers, program control multi-million dollar programs.  I guess I was lucky to have some good contractor friends that pointed me in the right direction and I now have 60 K USD a year in passive income and next year I can start 2k/month social security if I want.  I tried to start a finance/investment group at my companies west coast office.  I had dozens of people ready to come and just chat and listen.  They know I have one million and I was openly disclosing everything, discussing bonds, interest, tax free, things AMT free, qualified stock dividends, ROTH IRA outside of work, etc.  But Northrop had such nitwit requirements and waivers we had to sign to open the meeting group, I said no.  I am heading back to that unit after New Year and will do an informal meeting group.  My goal is to educate and warn.  I don't plan to advise.  I just will field questions, give them some ideas, and hope they seek proper financial guidance. It is frustrating to watch these kids that get paid 100K USD a year and after 5 years of work have almost nothing!  They have expensive smart phones, crazy wireless plans, big car payments, etc. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, murraynz said:

Many people in many countries live paycheck to paycheck and in raising and providing for children and all of life’s other expenses especially healthcare in my country retire solely on their government pension. 

Your “pittance” is more than my mother ever made in an entire year of working. It must be nice to have led such a privileged life that you never had to worry about money but that is no excuse for belittling those less fortunate your arrogance is disgusting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Once you start looking at a decent, modern place to live in this country with a nice car - Thailand makes ZERO financial sense. Youre looking at a several hundred thousand dollar outlay to live in a developing country with substandard building process and overpriced vehicles.

:cheesy:

...and living the life of a pauper, on maybe 40000 baht a month

I won't start a 'I can live more cheaply in Thailand than you' post.  But if your friend is living alone (no Thai wife/family etc to bleed him dry), then he is doing something seriously wrong if his lifestyle on 40,000 baht a month is that of a pauper.

• Like 2

My 3 bed house (built 5 years back) cost about $50k, I had to put 10% down, so an outlay of $5k.

Another $2-3K for a computer, big TV, air con, scooter, a few furnishings.

Not that much of an outlay IMHO, and if they don't let me stay here the bank won't be getting any more repayments.

Where did you get 'several hundred thousand dollars" from?

Try that in the West and see how far ya get.....

8 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Once you start looking at a decent, modern place to live in this country with a nice car

6 hours ago, Naam said:

:cheesy:

Where did you get 'several hundred thousand dollars" from?

The house I live in now, I paid 1.9 million baht for - 3 bed 2 bath modest house. Thats about $60,000 USD, and thats pretty cheap. 

The problem is that its in nakon-nowhere, bumfuk Thailand. I just bought a second-hand Fortuner as well (2017). Its the third vehicle ive had in Thailand. For several years I drove a second hand Honda City. 

That right there is $100,000, before furnishing, and thats cheap. No hot running water. No oven. No central air-conditioning.

Try doing that in Bangkok, or even Pattaya, and being close the chit. Cant be done. 

15 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Try that in the West and see how far ya get.....

See thats the thing, most people (including myself) live in some nameless thai town that might or might not have a Tesco Lotus & 7-11 within range. 

You can easily have the same standard of living in the USA. There are tons of places you can stay within the US for that price range. If you compare the same standard of living its easily done. 

If a person had $200k to spend on a home & car it makes no financial sense to spend it in Thailand. 

• Like 1