Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

7 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

See thats the thing, most people (including myself) live in some nameless thai town that might or might not have a Tesco Lotus & 7-11 within range. 

If a person had $200k to spend on a home & car it makes no financial sense to spend it in Thailand. 

I live 10Km from the town centre of Chiang Mai.

House was 1.8Mbht, 200k deposit, 25 years of repayments.

4x 7-11 and Tesco Lotus within 500m. Superstores 5Km away.

Nobody forced you to live in Nakon Nowhere, or buy a house for cash.

House prices are roughly the same all over (excepting the Islands and Bangkok)

I spent $10k on a home and m/c in Thailand. The weather is fine, nobody needs a car here.

$200k, I could pay all my expenses for the next 15 years, longer than I expect to live.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

nobody needs a car here.

Thats just not true. Just because you choose to ride a scooter everywhere doesnt mean thats the living standard that others choose to live by. 

PS you can buy scooters in the US too. Under 50cc and you dont even need a license. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I spent $10k on a home and m/c in Thailand.

No, you financed a home & bike in Thailand (and not even in your own name). If mortgaging a home is the standard we are going by then you really would be depressed at what you got for your money compared to say homes/townhomes/condos in Florida. 

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody forced you to live in Nakon Nowhere, or buy a house for cash.

You still live in Nakon Nowhere. You have internet access thats comparable to a decade ago. You dont have hot running water. Your home isnt in your name. You have to deal with visa issues. 

You can live the same way in the US and own it all. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Besides the money issues. Thailand does not get many Hurricanes, (Cyclones)  or tornadoes like

America does, also does not get the cold Winter storms like America and Britain do

as well. The Hot weather and Rainy season can be handled with A/C and brollies, and a

jacket and long pants. Cheaper for sure than the cost of a furnace to keep yourself warm

from November to April unless you live in Texas or South states. I do see advantages of living

in Thailand, and it is on my mind for what I may want to do for 4 or 5 monts per year

in the Winter months. As far as my opinion, it barely counts no matter where I live on the

planet.

Geezer

How many hurricanes hit the entire country of the USA in one year? <10

Ever seen a hurricane hit Montana?

Ever seen a cold winter storm in Florida?

Quite short of logic.

PS It is impossible to air condition the outside in Thailand.

You must plan on moving there and never leaving your accommodation?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

When I'm working, I make around 820,000 baht a month. I dont work every month though, and Im 35 years old. 

My monthly expenditures in Thailand are around 80,000 a month. 

Ive been here for 8 years, and I live in Issan. I dont live here non-stop because when im working, I have to travel. 

Its gotten to the point where I really hate living here, and the only reason im still here is because of the tax break that US citizens get for being away from the USA. Im saving & stockpiling cash for my move back to the USA, and all the expenses that requires. House, car, insurance...etc. 

If you look at it objectively, from a financial standpoint, the only way thailand makes sense is when you are in a lower income bracket. Small thai house, preferably rented, motorbike, and local food with the occasional splurge. 

Once you start looking at a decent, modern place to live in this country with a nice car - Thailand makes ZERO financial sense. Youre looking at a several hundred thousand dollar outlay to live in a developing country with substandard building process and overpriced vehicles. A country that you will never be a citizen of. A country that you will forever be a "guest" in. 

Theres nothing wrong with living "cheaply" in Thailand, but IMO unless one is retiring here to do just that, its a waste of ones life. 

You hit the nail on the head however you won't ever get anyone to agree with you.

They fight fiercely to defend the one room flat they call heaven.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The problem with saving for retirement is that you scrimp and save during the best years of your life, when you are young and healthy and vigorous, then get hit by a bus and the old bag you were stuck with cashes it in and laughs and runs off with the pool boy to spend your money.

Im comfortable but not rich. I have enough money to live the life I want. No need for a 550SL or a Porsche anymore, I hate driving. No need to do suites in Vegas and drop 10K at the tables and and another 2K on those pneumatic wenches cheering me on, I only last a minute. I don't want one shrimp on a plate served by some lisping twerp for $150 at Chez Joel Ruboneout, give me a bucket on the street. No need for the fancy $100 ties, I havent put one on in 5 years. I can buy a waterproof casio watch every year and it would take 20 new ones to cover the cost of a Rolex service. I don't need the VIP area in the hottest club in town because I have a crazy gf and dont need to play pickup games. I dont need 60 Lugers. I dont mow lawns, clean the garage or need to go to Paris on a whim. I dont golf, go to health clubs or need to give my kid money as she is a well paid cheap Charlie who saves her money and stays in hostels even though she can afford $200 a night hotels. Thats her gig.

I lived life the way I wanted to, now its time to chill. I have enough to live here nicely and in the States too. You only live once. 

All expats lived a life filthy rich and full of luxury before moving to Thailand.

Then for some far out reason, they decide to chill out and live in Thailand with next to nothing.

Really?

Isn't the real story how you lost all your money, (if you ever had any), and now Thailand is the only place you can afford to survive?

When you were hanging out in Vegas, flying to Paris on whim but never flying to Thailand on a whim?

By your own admission, (True or Not), you lived a life of luxury than all of sudden that life is all gone and you end up in Thailand, the third world.

The fact you don't even give your kid money says you don't have any, yet make an excuse anyways.

Not buying the BS

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How many condoms do you take when going grocery shopping?  I take three because I live in Thailand.  At Publix I didn't take any.  ????

............and you bring three home with you , why carry them about for nothing ?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

All expats lived a life filthy rich and full of luxury before moving to Thailand.

Then for some far out reason, they decide to chill out and live in Thailand with next to nothing.

Really?

Isn't the real story how you lost all your money, (if you ever had any), and now Thailand is the only place you can afford to survive?

When you were hanging out in Vegas, flying to Paris on whim but never flying to Thailand on a whim?

By your own admission, (True or Not), you lived a life of luxury than all of sudden that life is all gone and you end up in Thailand, the third world.

The fact you don't even give your kid money says you don't have any, yet make an excuse anyways.

Not buying the BS

Did you read the first line? I'm not here because I have to be, I'm here because I want to be. I have more than enough to make me comfortable in whichever home I chose to live in. I like the lifestyle here, when I go back I'll Cruise in my fun ancient pickup or have gf drive me around in the M5. 

BTW, I've cruised here 20 times? 

My kid will have what's left when I'm gone, she doesn't need it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have no right to live in the US.

10 years ago I had a modem for internet in Cornwall ($25/month) a SD movie would take 24hrs to download, today I have 100/30 3bb fibre ($20/month) a HD movie takes 3 minutes to download.

Everything you claim seems to be wrong by a factor of 20.

I have true 200mbps package (previously had 3bb) along with an Asus 5ghz router and my international speeds are so chit it's laughable. You are being blissfully ignorant about your internet speeds. 

55 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

When I lived in Arizona we had COX 5 gb fiber internet, that is a hell of lot faster than Thailand

This Cox internet plan offers a max speed of 1Gbps in select areas. ... Cox plans for stand-alone, high speed Internet offers download speeds ranging from 5 Mbps on the Starter package and up to 1000

3 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Its weird. People choose to move to a third world country and live in what is essentially the countries trailer-park that they they don't even own and feel so smitten with themselves that they've gotten the greatest deal on the planet. 

You can just say you came here for the women and are willing to accept a substandard living situation in order to achieve that. 

I never said Thailand wasn't "cheap". But cheap is subjective as hell. You can buy (or mortguae) a condo in Miami or Tampa, shop at flea markets for cheap Chinese crap, and drive a scooter there too, and you'd be able to own it instead of having to use your wife but you wouldn't want to do that would you. Yet you choose to live like that here. 

I'm almosts 80 why would I want to buy my own house or condo?  I sold my house in Florida and moved the money to a Thai bank in 2005.  It is my back up cash pad while I live on my pensions. 

I don't live in a trailer park my neighbors are upper to hi so Thai folks.  2 teachers, land developer, Engineers and some government officials. 

Lately I buy the majority of my casual clothes at Uniqlo - good quality and affordable prices. 

I could not have my lifestyle in the States.  I had problems with a young (25) wife's family.  We divorced.  Here the age thing and a mistress is no problem and is accepted. 

Health care is direct bill to my insurer in the States and much better care than I received in Florida (VA).

So, I'd say speak for yourself.  I'm happy and doing much better in all categories than I could in America. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I go grocery shopping in the daytime.  I have three computers.  One I use all the time and the other two as backups.  Same with phones.  I always have three when I only use one.  Seems prudent to me.  So, no I'm not claiming anything. 

There is a difference between shopping in Thailand and Florida.  Thailand shopping is fun and always filled with excitement and adventure.  Florida, adventure highlight is an 80 year old bag boy carrying your groceries out to the car.

No, you stated that you dont take things that you do not need , which means you take, need and use three condoms when you go out shopping .

Now you just use the one condom everytime you go shopping .

Is that paid for sex or are you very attractive to females and they find you irresistible ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

No, you stated that you dont take things that you do not need , which means you take, need and use three condoms when you go out shopping .

Now you just use the one condom everytime you go shopping .

Is that paid for sex or are you very attractive to females and they find you irresistible ?

I thought you didn't want to talk about sex with me?  Message me if you are interested.  I don't think it is appropriate for an open forum.  I only mentioned it because in grocery shopping for 20 years in Thailand I can't remember one trip that wasn't fun.  ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe some of us like the culture, the food, the people and are tired of living the same old life in the USA.

Plus I hate winter.

Perfectly understandable and legitimate reason to live here, not that I'm the arbiter of reasons to live here or anything. My issue lies with people that lie/delude themselves\others as to their reasons for living here and the objective costs in doing so compared to where they came from and the standard of living they are used to. 

8 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

People choose to move to a third world country and live in what is essentially the countries trailer-park that they they don't even own and feel so smitten with themselves that they've gotten the greatest deal on the planet. 

Not the greatest deal on the planet, but a better deal than a bedsit in London.

I do miss smoking cannabis in my bedsit, but hopefully, that's coming here soon.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

When I'm working, I make around 820,000 baht a month. I dont work every month though, and Im 35 years old. 

My monthly expenditures in Thailand are around 80,000 a month. 

Ive been here for 8 years, and I live in Issan. I dont live here non-stop because when im working, I have to travel. 

Its gotten to the point where I really hate living here, and the only reason im still here is because of the tax break that US citizens get for being away from the USA. Im saving & stockpiling cash for my move back to the USA, and all the expenses that requires. House, car, insurance...etc. 

If you look at it objectively, from a financial standpoint, the only way thailand makes sense is when you are in a lower income bracket. Small thai house, preferably rented, motorbike, and local food with the occasional splurge. 

Once you start looking at a decent, modern place to live in this country with a nice car - Thailand makes ZERO financial sense. Youre looking at a several hundred thousand dollar outlay to live in a developing country with substandard building process and overpriced vehicles. A country that you will never be a citizen of. A country that you will forever be a "guest" in. 

Theres nothing wrong with living "cheaply" in Thailand, but IMO unless one is retiring here to do just that, its a waste of ones life. 

35 IMHO is too young to settle in Thailand unless one has an expat career probably in finance in BKK. Otherwise career-wise probably out of touch compared to living major metropolitan cities. I know several IT guys have gone for the digital nomad existence in Thailand as a lifestyle choice, but up to them.