New Zealand defense report says climate change greatest security risk

webfact

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I was born 60 years back in a house by Shoreham beach.

House and beach are still there, the sea is still the same distance from the house.

I guess all those oceanographers and such have got it wrong. Has your house been peer reviewed?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . fast forward six years after the study you cite and. . .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2016/12/14/fact-checking-the-97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/

The writer is a lecturer in construction management. He has some sort of connection to the University of Houston,

Earl J. Ritchie is a retired energy executive and teaches a course on the oil and gas industry at the University of Houston. He has 35 years’ experience in the industry. He started as a geophysicist with Mobil Oil and subsequently worked in a variety of management and technical positions with several independent exploration and production companies.

"We are thought leaders in energy"

And much of his argument is just ridiculous. For instance he claims that it isn't 97 percent of scientists who believe in anthropogenic climate change. It's maybe  just climatologists. Who cares what biologists think? Or for that matter, petroleum industry geologists.

He includes older studies from Bray and Storch whose questions are such that they tend to reduce the number of positiive answers, but not the more recent ones which show a big jum. And even this author concedes that the consensus is overwhelmingly supportive of anthropogenic climate change.

And when you account for expertise on the issue, the percentage skews much more strongly to support of ACC

Scientific consensus on human caused climate change vs expertise in climate science

https://ourchangingclimate.wordpress.com/2016/04/13/consensus-on-consensus-a-synthesis-of-consensus-estimates-on-human-caused-global-warming/

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I was reacting to a previous poster who implied that the fear of rising sea levels was having a deleterious effect on the market for condos in Bangkok. Maybe you should try looking before you leap. 

Duh.

Not quite correct. I was implying people who owned condos in Bangkok should think seriously about selling. Of course there are developers and builders who are putting up condos in Bangkok, just as there are developers and builders who are constructing condos on transient land in the Florida Keys with Category 5 hurricanes on record. They are trying to make a buck; however, that does not mean customers should be suckers.

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

Yes, the myth of the high flying scientists who rake it in!:cheesy:

More like the less than competent earning a comfortable wage scientists that would say and do anything rather than have to get a real job with real employers who demanded results they could see and feel. 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You mean something like predicting a 7m sea level rise in the next 20 years despite there being no sea level rise in the last 100 years?

God knows where you got that from but this is typical of deniers. They take some outlier prediction and then claim it as some kind of mainstream consensus.

Here's an accurate summary of the current consensus:

Observed sea levels are actually tracking at the upper range of the IPCC projections. When accelerating ice loss from Greenland and Antarctica are factored into sea level projections, the estimated sea level rise by 2100 is between 75cm to 2 metres.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise-predictions-intermediate.htm

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More like the less than competent earning a comfortable wage scientists that would say and do anything rather than have to get a real job with real employers who demanded results they could see and feel. 

Wow, astounding!

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Science is just so fake. 

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Science is just so fake. 

Yes, those silly good for nothing scientists who work for government institutions and universities and other such silliness and discover useless stuff like electricity and inventing computers and medicines etc!

Shame on them - freeloaders the lot!

9 minutes ago, Becker said:

who work for government institutions and universities and other such silliness and discover useless stuff  electricity

Ben Franklin was a newspaper editor and printer, not a government employee (as far as I'm aware).

Edison was a self-employed inventor and businessman, not a government employee.

Tesla work for Edison, not a government employee either.

Government employee's don't invent or discover much, it's usually private business that drives progress.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ben Franklin was a newspaper editor and printer, not a government employee (as far as I'm aware).

Edison was a self-employed inventor and businessman, not a government employee.

Tesla work for Edison, not a government employee either.

Government employee's don't invent or discover much, it's usually private business that drives progress.

Hmmm..

Sure it is.

I believe in a flat Earth meself..Crispy Crespos-the breakfast food of the Adelaide Island penguins (or their corporation equivalent) told me so.

Global warming is caused by kryptonite,Martians an' damn yankees-and not necessarily in that order.

And the good news keeps on coming:

Greenland's ice sheet melt rate unprecedented, happening faster than anybody thought: study

Greenland’s ice sheet is melting at a pace unprecedented in thousands of years, a study has found, and has in particular accelerated over the past two decades.

“I think the acceleration is the bell-ringer here,” said Mary Albert, a glaciologist at Dartmouth University, to Nature.com. The study was published in the journal Nature...

“Ice melt across Greenland is accelerating, and the volume of meltwater running into the ocean has reached levels that are probably unprecedented in seven or eight millennia,” said Nature.com. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-news-greenland-ice-sheet-melt-climate-20181206-story.html

Nonlinear rise in Greenland runoff in response to post-industrial Arctic warming

The Greenland ice sheet (GrIS) is a growing contributor to global

sea-level rise , with recent ice mass loss dominated by surface

meltwater runoff .

Satellite observations reveal positive trends in GrIS surface melt extent ,

but melt variability, intensity and runoff remain uncertain before the satellite era.

Here we present the first continuous, multi-century and observationally constrained record of

GrIS surface melt intensity and runoff, revealing that the magnitude

of recent GrIS melting is exceptional over at least the last 350 years.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0752-4.epdf

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Not quite correct. I was implying people who owned condos in Bangkok should think seriously about selling. Of course there are developers and builders who are putting up condos in Bangkok, just as there are developers and builders who are constructing condos on transient land in the Florida Keys with Category 5 hurricanes on record. They are trying to make a buck; however, that does not mean customers should be suckers.

Obviously all stupid climate change deniers.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You mean something like predicting a 7m sea level rise in the next 20 years despite there being no sea level rise in the last 100 years?

I did not predict a 7m sea level rise. I said IF the Greenland ice cap melts ( in isolation ) there WILL BE a 7m sea level rise. That's simple maths based on the mass/volume of water contained in the Greenland ice cap.

I have never heard of anyone successfully flouting the laws of thermodynamics, which are in operation as we speak.

I sometimes wonder if climate change/global warning deniers all trace their ancestry back to King Canute.

18 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Obviously all stupid climate change deniers.

AFAIK, builders and developers do not have to study stuff like thermodynamics and entropy. Most also aren't around when the proverbial hits the fan - they have collected their profits and are long gone. There's a difference between stupid and ignorant, as I am discovering on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK, builders and developers do not have to study stuff like thermodynamics and entropy. Most also aren't around when the proverbial hits the fan - they have collected their profits and are long gone. There's a difference between stupid and ignorant, as I am discovering on this thread.

I was talking about the buyers, obviously.

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I did not predict a 7m sea level rise. I said IF the Greenland ice cap melts ( in isolation ) there WILL BE a 7m sea level rise. That's simple maths based on the mass/volume of water contained in the Greenland ice cap.

I have never heard of anyone successfully flouting the laws of thermodynamics, which are in operation as we speak.

I sometimes wonder if climate change/global warning deniers all trace their ancestry back to King Canute.

A pretty big "if"!

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Actually, given that study that I cited above, your "if" may be uncomfortably close to being realized. Almost certainly it's going to raise the upper limit of sea level rise estimates.

Archived