Man punished for blocking path of ambulance carrying patient

snoop1130

Man punished for blocking path of ambulance carrying patient

By Preewadi Khunnaklad

The Nation

13f56ce6f304cc98281cfbe5a3dc1dd9.jpeg

A 72-year-old man, who was caught on camera as the person behind the wheel of a sedan that blocked an ambulance’s path on Sukhumvit Road in Chon Buri’s Muang district, was fined Bt500 as he acknowledged the charge of driving in a manner of barring traffic, said Muang Chon Buri superintendent Pol Colonel Atinan Nuchanart on Thursday.

Prawit Boonthaneepakorn, who was accompanied by his daughter and car owner, met the police superintendent to explain himself. The elderly man claimed he was astonished by the siren and froze. As he paid the fine, the man said he apologised to the ill person in the ambulance and hoped the patient recovered quickly.

The incident, which was resolved by the ambulance having to push into another lane, was caught on camera and the clip went viral on Thai social media, attracting widespread criticism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359951

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-6

36 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The elderly man claimed he was astonished by the siren and froze.

I reckon in his 72 years n the planet he's heard a siren once or twice.

He froze, yeh inthe fast lane and not allowing the emergency vehicle to pass because he is a selfish pig.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps he should be cryonically frozen. At least he wouldn't obstruct any more emergency vehicles.

yes, well he did freeze, and therby did obstruct ????

but then, in his old age:

he was stopped as he was down looking under his seat for his gun, that he forgot...

Again and again Thailand just shows how stupid and incorrect the justice system works 

500 b is a insult to the people in the ambulance 

And that shamefully just shows Thai people don't need to care about rules and regulations or for that matter other people 

Once I was proud to love Thailand .. .....but but but....... 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The elderly man claimed he was astonished by the siren and froze.

If this elderly man freezes from the sound of a siren than he is clearly not fit to drive a car.

What happens when someone beeps, when a truck makes loud noises while breaking, or when a pickup truck with loud music drives by?

Take away his drivers license, as he has just admitted he is unable to cope with everyday traffic situations.

10 hours ago, VYCM said:

He froze, yeh inthe fast lane and not allowing the emergency vehicle to pass because he is a selfish pig.

Had there been some VIP in a vehicular procession I bet he would have got out of the way. Personally believe the man was just being ignorant and a 500 baht fine is paltry.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

If this elderly man freezes from the sound of a siren than he is clearly not fit to drive a car.

What happens when someone beeps, when a truck makes loud noises while breaking, or when a pickup truck with loud music drives by?

Take away his drivers license, as he has just admitted he is unable to cope with everyday traffic situations.

Taking away his license would not help much since we know that most Thais drive without a license. Raise the fines because the only time they will learn anything is when you take their money.

12 hours ago, VYCM said:

Maybe he thought they were the Sirens luring him to his death so stayed put where he was and just kept on going??? 

4 minutes ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

Taking away his license would not help much since we know that most Thais drive without a license. Raise the fines because the only time they will learn anything is when you take their money.

The only effective way to insure compliance is to impound the vehicle, which we all know,  will never happen

They can legalize marijuana for "medical" use in a few months but to change the motor vehicle code is not going to happen, there is no financial incentive for any change 

20 minutes ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

raising the fine only contributes to the Police Christmas Party !!

Have him BANNED for 12 months....I thort, weeks ago there was supposed to be a new system OF POINTS ON A PERSONS licence if breaking laws of the road !!

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

5000 Baht not 500 baht would make him and others think twice before being such road hogs in front of an ambulance again.

Plus 5000 Baht fines for vehicles (including ambulances) using light and sirens when it is not an emergency.

Too many just use lights and sirens to pass traffic when going home or to lunch.

13 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Thailand is full of idiots who will not do anything to help others if it gets into their way.  How many times does this have to happen?  The find should be 10,000 baht then you see them get their ass out of the way.

Exactly! Seeing his expression, he obviously couldn't give a rat's ass

8 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Again and again Thailand just shows how stupid and incorrect the justice system works 

500 b is a insult to the people in the ambulance 

And that shamefully just shows Thai people don't need to care about rules and regulations or for that matter other people 

Once I was proud to love Thailand .. .....but but but....... 

500bht? Are you serious? The police who set those fine amounts are just as guilty as the man who violated the "so-called" law. Absurd. Does the photo of the Thai man look like he even gives a s..t? I thought so.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

The only effective way to insure compliance is to impound the vehicle, which we all know,  will never happen

They can legalize marijuana for "medical" use in a few months but to change the motor vehicle code is not going to happen, there is no financial incentive for any change 

Until the news about all the motor vehicle deaths "finally" strikes a nerve. We see it in the drop of Chinese tourists after the fiasco of the tourist boat deaths. Not sure about others here, but I like to minimize the danger when I can.

1 hour ago, ThaidDown said:

Plus 5000 Baht fines for vehicles (including ambulances) using light and sirens when it is not an emergency.

Too many just use lights and sirens to pass traffic when going home or to lunch.

And you know this how?

14 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Thailand is full of idiots who will not do anything to help others if it gets into their way.  How many times does this have to happen?

I have witnessed this time and time again here and even though I pull over for an ambulance to pass, the Thai drivers don't give a sh1t.........selfish drivers in the main.

Archived