Jomtien traffic lines confuse

Rimmer

Jomtien traffic lines confuse

image.png

PATTAYA:--New safety lines painted across a Jomtien Beach intersection has both drivers and pedestrians scratching their heads as to their meaning.

The crisscross pattern spanning the junction of Thappraya and Thepprasit roads – the so-called Grand Jomtien Junction – reminded people of the world-famous Shibuya, Tokyo intersection, one of the world’s busiest.

Some speculated the lines meant “no parking”. In fact they are there to make drivers slow down and be aware they’re entering an intersection.

No parking zones also had been painted along the side of the two roads.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-12-07

55 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yellow boxes that nobody gives a toss here and if observed properly can help with traffic flow.

In UK they mean DO NOT ENTER IF YOUR EXIT IS BLOCKED. Here.........???????????????????

There are already traffic lights there controlling the traffic right of way, you have already stooped by the time you see this ridiculous criss cross pattern so how on earth are they going to make any difference whatsoever? The people in charge of this decision have absolutely no idea what they are doing. 

Like pedestrian crossings et all, I've come to understand after two decades that these elaborate markings have no meaning in relation to their accepted purpose in western minds. 

Rather their function is to brighten the place up and impart a cosy international cosmopolitan feel.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

In UK they mean DO NOT ENTER IF YOUR EXIT IS BLOCKED. Here.........???????????????????

Absolutely. They are present on many intersections in Chiang Mai but do drivers care - no, they still wait on them so when the traffic lights turn red they are blocking the way for traffic given the green light - result TRAFFIC JAM!! 

8 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Yellow hatch markings universally mean "do not enter unless your intended exit is clear"

Or in Thailand it means just a waste of paint

The low quality paint, and lack of maintenance will result in the cross hatch markings to fade into a mere shadow. The uneducated and uncaring drivers will ignore it, much as they do the rules at the Dolphin traffic circle. 

13 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

What is the point,few Thai's have any clue as to who has right of way at intersections.

As dismayed as I often was at the driving habits of the locals, I was even more appalled that many of the worst traffic scofflaws I encountered were foreigners who quickly went native, driving the wrong way, speeding, weaving and generally driving like wild men.  

It's one thing when crappy drivers never learned any better.  But it's even worse when they come from countries where they had to learn better to keep driving more than a few weeks. 

It indicates to me that the lousy driving is more a function of lax enforcement and lack of consequences, than of nationality.

Most Thai drivers have the intelligence of a buffalo.  They see a space & move into it.  No matter that it blocks a lane; no matter that the traffic becomes gridlocked lengthening their wait five fold.  The problem intensifies at weekend when no police are on duty anywhere.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

As dismayed as I often was at the driving habits of the locals, I was even more appalled that many of the worst traffic scofflaws I encountered were foreigners who quickly went native, driving the wrong way, speeding, weaving and generally driving like wild men.  

It's one thing when crappy drivers never learned any better.  But it's even worse when they come from countries where they had to learn better to keep driving more than a few weeks. 

It indicates to me that the lousy driving is more a function of lax enforcement and lack of consequences, than of nationality.

What annoy,s me is seeing tourists and indeed expats driving bikes without a helmet,they would never do so in their home country.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, GAZZPA said:

There are already traffic lights there controlling the traffic right of way, you have already stooped by the time you see this ridiculous criss cross pattern so how on earth are they going to make any difference whatsoever? The people in charge of this decision have absolutely no idea what they are doing. 

you are absolutley correct.....a waste of yellow paint too....

Archived