Pattaya neglecting newly rebuilt beach

Rimmer

37 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

One can only guess that you do not (or cannot afford) a stay at the Dusit Thani Hotel?

If you can you don't have to see that bad bit. Stay inside their wall, use the beach around the bend or one of their many pools. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I think the concept of maintenance just is not understood in Thailand in all areas of society.Five years ago,the partners relatives built a house up country.When I went to see it,I thought,if they ever want to sell it I could be interested.Farang kitchen,fully equipped bathroom,a real gem of a house.

Fast forward five years, the place looks thirty /forty years old,paint peeling,windows that do not close properly,hanging gutters,ground(which was a nice garden)is now covered with bottle tops,fag ends,nails so much you cannot see the actual ground.The rear of the house now has an external kitchen with hammocks,concrete benches etc that looks like a refugee camp and the state of the art bathroom now has a 45 gallon drum full of water because nothing in the room actually works any longer .Inside it looks in every room like a left luggage storage area.It is obvious that since it was built absolutely nothing has been done to keep the place looking nice or maintained.And no,I would not buy it now.

I have seen that as well. I reckon must be village people who know no better . I Have Thai relatives who are completely the opposite and live in a gated community and their standards are as high as that of good western ways . The house is immaculate and so is the garden , so it can be done by Thais but most of the time eating and sleeping seem to take priority and the surrounding trash is normal along with chickens and dogs everywhere ( another side of my Thai relatives ) .  T.I.T.

If you look in the Thai dictionary you will find that maintenance means repair .

22 hours ago, Tiredofglasshalfemptyexpat said:

Why is everyone so negative. I drive past along beach road every day and the wider sections look fantastic. 

Clowns like "Happie Chappie" making comments "looking at the picture" ... Happie Chappie, what's it actually like on the beach please? 

Instead of insulting 'Happie Chappie' - why don't you try stopping your car and moving your butt out of the driving seat and look at the beach yourself?

The picture speaks volumes - why do you think it has been published?

I can drive swiftly by anything and pretend it is top class. Maybe you should look more closely at the rotting sandbags, weeds and unpleasant water rivulets.

Meanwhile, why can I see this disgusting state of affairs from my home in Chiang Mai yet you, driving past it every day, cannot?

It's only in the far north of the beach , the rest of the beach in N-Pattaya looks quite nice now , with more sand , but the garbage problem will not go away . 

I have lived in Pattaya for 15 years. ( Work 20 minutes away) My observation is that the city officials do not have a budget for maintenance and if a department does, it seems to mostly disappear. Next, with city projects, the “professional” in charge will hire the cheapest unskilled labor around. I have seen this first hand with their tree trimmers and sidewalk tile-block layers. The name of the engineer or company is never on a sign for the public to know who is responsible. Another issue is being “pro-active “- thinking of the “what-ifs”. Why didn’ the professor in charge of the restoration beach project think about the water run off from the flooded skis or the rain run off near Dusit Thani? You inspect the area before implementing a huge project as such. Unlike many cities in Thailand, it seems everything the city does is a half-arse job. 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, RichardColeman said:

the way pattaya and Thailand is going, I am surprised they have not completely concreted the beach yet

They are working on that on Dongtan Beach in Jomtien.

Used to be nice...now as "Restoration" nears completion it is only a Concrete Road with no Character...a real shame.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:03 PM, CeeGee said:

I think the concept of maintenance just is not understood in Thailand in all areas of society.Five years ago,the partners relatives built a house up country.When I went to see it,I thought,if they ever want to sell it I could be interested.Farang kitchen,fully equipped bathroom,a real gem of a house.

Fast forward five years, the place looks thirty /forty years old,paint peeling,windows that do not close properly,hanging gutters,ground(which was a nice garden)is now covered with bottle tops,fag ends,nails so much you cannot see the actual ground.The rear of the house now has an external kitchen with hammocks,concrete benches etc that looks like a refugee camp and the state of the art bathroom now has a 45 gallon drum full of water because nothing in the room actually works any longer .Inside it looks in every room like a left luggage storage area.It is obvious that since it was built absolutely nothing has been done to keep the place looking nice or maintained.And no,I would not buy it now.

This is know as "Somchai Erosion". It's brutal in here, everything turns into an Isaan garbage dump within weeks, if not hours. Only solution is to protect your castle with moats, hot tar and be 24/7/365 vigilant of not letting a single somchai within 5km. DIY all the way, order everything from abroad with internet. Still it's a constant uphill battle.

There used to be a concrete walkway around the headland of the Dust -T hotel.Very usefull and avoided a long detour but last time I looked it had collapsed and not been repaired.Then theres the raised stone-faced platform at the base of the stairway a bit farther along.Same story ,it looked great for a few years but is now collapsing.

Just more reasons why I would never buy a condo in Thailand.

36 minutes ago, persimmon said:

There used to be a concrete walkway around the headland of the Dust -T hotel.Very usefull and avoided a long detour but last time I looked it had collapsed and not been repaired.Then theres the raised stone-faced platform at the base of the stairway a bit farther along.Same story ,it looked great for a few years but is now collapsing.

Just more reasons why I would never buy a condo in Thailand.

I often used to wonder whether The Dusit built and paid for that. 

Many years ago, before it was built I used to try and sneak through the hotel grounds to the beaches on the Naklua side, and sometimes got stopped by their security.

14 hours ago, morrobay said:

I  emailed Dusit-about that and suggested they build a walkway out of heavy timber. They replied that that the city made walkway on city property. Actually I've about given up on that North end and it's not because of the beach. 

The early morning noise of all the speedboats there made sleeping late impossible at the Dusit. They were towing hang gliders for the Chinese. It is rather a shame actually, that corner could be very pleasant if the sewage was eliminated and the rainwater running down from Nua handled properly. 

Don't touch it.

It actually looks pretty nice. A cascading creek into the ocean with plenty of river rocks and vegetation might just be what tourists are looking to see.

Just clean up the garbage and you got a nice natural creek

To further enhance the beauty of this natural wonder, they need to add some shrubs and trees on the banks though! :giggle:

image.png.aa38141507ed8dea43b9424f0dfd95c6.png

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, Dexlowe said:

Silly tourists don't seem to understand that there's always another half a billion of taxpayers' money available for a new beach repair contract. And plenty of instant expert contractors. No need for maintenance when a mayor's cuzzie is waiting in the wings. 

You’ve got it in one Dexlowe. 

Archived