Being A Buddhist Monk

stroll

I have been thinking about becoming a monk for three months, much as the young Thai men do, for some time. I witnessed a friend receiving the initial ordination, and my Thai family would welcome me to follow.

This is not a hoax!

My question is, has anybody done this or has information about it?

Keeping in mind that it is not a meditation course I am looking for, and unfortunately my Thai abilities are basic.

Is there a wat welcoming farangs near Bangkok, or in Changwat Nan?

Hi Stroll,

Go for it! and keep us informed!!!

The first Western Abbot in Thailand is Ajahn Sumedho an American born 1934. In 1974 Wat Pah Nanachat was founded, dedicated to training Western Monks.

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

Wat Yannawa had some farang monks. It is a big temple in the center of town.

You thinking about taking the plunge Doc?

As soon as they liberalize the rules Bronco, I'm in. Prah Maha Pat :o The things I need changed are the no chick rules. no booze rules, and the eating rules. Not too much to ask in my humble opinion Bronc.

I have been thinking about becoming a monk for three months, much as the young Thai men do, for some time. I witnessed a friend receiving the initial ordination, and my Thai family would welcome me to follow.

This is not a hoax!

My question is, has anybody done this or has information about it?

Keeping in mind that it is not a meditation course I am looking for, and unfortunately my Thai abilities are basic.

Is there a wat welcoming farangs near Bangkok, or in Changwat Nan?

stroll,

It's interesting that you mention this. My wife and I were talking with one of the Thai monks here in San Diego. He was suggesting that becoming a monk for a few months would really expidite the process of getting Thai citizenship for such a farang.

I will do more research.

I think it's a very nice idea. As a kid I used to spend summers on retreats with Fransiscan monks in upstate New York.

I almost became a priest but really discovered girls just before I was schedualed to go into the monastary.

They've been nothing but trouble ever since :o

Seriously though. It couldn't hurt and might make a nice impression on others.

There's something to be said for practicing some austerities even if for a little while.

I hope its not out of line to ask if there can be even a little respect for the Thai monks.

The booze the broads and other things are easy and I have a feeling most of us here have had our share.

Going against the flow can get tough and lonely but does build character.

I think three months spent as a monk could be a good thing no matter what you plan to do with the rest of your life. :o

I'd love to take the plunge too. If only I could afford to take 3 month off work!

Interesting point though springs to mind - would one need a work permit. I know there are visa classes for this, but what if you are already here as a retiree perhaps (not me - too young - but interested anyway).

I'd love to take the plunge too. If only I could afford to take 3 month off work!

Interesting point though springs to mind - would one need a work permit. I know there are visa classes for this, but what if you are already here as a retiree perhaps (not me - too young - but interested anyway).

My wife wants me to do it also. Something about holding on to robe strings to get to heaven. I don't think you have to do it for 3 months, she told me you can do it for a couple of days or 1 week that it is up to you. I would have to do it on my vaction so the most I would be able to do it for is 3 weeks.

Maybe on my next trip I will do it.

If anyone knows if the 1 week deal is wrong please let me know. I think it is right because my nephew did it last year for 1 week.

I probably will look like a pumpkin, but it would be a small price to pay for the wife. :o

My wife wants me to do it also. Something about holding on to robe strings to get to heaven. I don't think you have to do it for 3 months, she told me you can do it for a couple of days or 1 week that it is up to you. I would have to do it on my vaction so the most I would be able to do it for is 3 weeks.

Maybe on my next trip I will do it.

If anyone knows if the 1 week deal is wrong please let me know. I think it is right because my nephew did it last year for 1 week.

I probably will look like a pumpkin, but it would be a small price to pay for the wife. :o

One week is OK, you can even do a couple of days.

And don't go to a farang-oriented Wat, just a normal run-of-the-mill local. Then you will learn properly the outlook of the other novices and monks (and impove your Thai language skills?).

Friend of mine has done the wet-season stint (farang). Changed him completely.

Also where my wife comes from - really out in the sticks, there is a full time farang monk.

Thanx for all your answers. Yes, one can do it for a very short time only, but I want it to be more than a formality, learning about an aspect of Thai culture, Buddhism and myself, maybe.

It all sounds like I am not the only one considering it, on a practical note, do you know wats which could be suitable for people with limited Thai language abilities? Any details, adresses or other useful bits?

My wife don't want me to do it,and I wouldn't do it anyway.

But with the begging for food,eating only one time a day and that before noon,no smoking and no sex,it sure ain't my cup of tea.

Coarse I am no expert but I don't member anywhere that BUDA said anything about going to heaven in his teachings, just about reaching nervana thru meditation. and the BUDA meditation is really OK but I am unable to do it as my brain will not slow down enough and I am always aware of my surroundings.

And what has BUDAISM got to do with Thai customs,, The Lord BUDA was an indian.

Maybe I don't smoke enough GANGI or opium. :o

My wife don't want me to do it,and I wouldn't do it anyway.

But with the begging for food,eating only one time a day and that before noon,no smoking and no pussy,it sure ain't my cup of tea.

Coarse I am no expert but I don't member anywhere that BUDA said anything about going to heaven in his teachings, just about reaching nervana thru meditation. and the BUDA meditation is really OK but I am unable to do it as my brain will not slow down enough and I am always aware of my surroundings.

And what has BUDAISM got to do with Thai customs,, The Lord BUDA was an indian.

Maybe I don't smoke enough GANGI or opium. :o

sounds to me like someone is smoking to much of something.

I think you are loosing it, old man. I mean, not only any manners you might have had when you could still remember what you said 5 minutes ago, but also your ability to spell. BUDA is not one of these herbs that hippies smoke.

If you mean BUPA, it is a private health insurance.To get their details try another website...

If you mean Buddha, which would be related to this topic, ask your Thai wife of colonel rank working for the Thai government, to give you a quick run done what Buddha and Buddhism are and why folks living in Thailand might be interested to learn something about it.

Kevin, as a freind of Bill W

Did you ever meet him , or was it before your time.

Well done you, it must be very difficult living in LOS (I assume you live here)and not having a drink, wish I could do it :o

As for being a short time Monk I am seriously considerng it, and the posts on this forum are mainly productive and have made me think that I could do it.

Keep me off booze for a week or a month anyway, and that would be a good thing according to the doctor at my local hospital

Thanks for posting everyone

I've seen monks smoking as well, though I don't think anyone should be in doubt that monks really shouldn't (take intoxicating addicting substances or even succumb to anything that merely pleases the senses).

Monks are supposed to be free from desire, especially physical desire. Smoking has no place in that.

Oh yes, about your visa: Being a monk is an accepted valid reason for visa extention. I don't know the details but I suppose having a non-immigrant visa and going to the immigration office together with the abbot and/or with a statement from the abbot should do the trick. Not sure if you could do the same on a tourist visa or even transit stay. To be sure, just get the Non Immigrant visa. It's valid for 3 months anyway and easy to get.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Do you mean the 60 days tourist visa? I haven't heard of an easy to get 3 months non immigrant visa?

I know of an English speaking farang temple dweller (he is not a monk)who got a non immigrant education visa on the grounds of explaining/translating for visiting tourists.

> Do you mean the 60 days tourist visa?

No, I mean exactly what I said: a 90 day non-immigrant visa. Category 'O' (Other) comes to mind as the one to get.

> I haven't heard of an easy to get 3 months non immigrant visa?

Easy as apple pie.. If you go to your friendly Thai consulate or embassy and say 'I will become a monk (or do meditation, or study, etc.) at so-and-so temple' then you will get a 90 day non-immigrant visa. If you know more details then provide them (letter of invitation, etc.) but I don't think this would even be required. However if you want it to be a double (or even triple!) entry visa then I'd say the more supporting paper you can provide the better it is.

Non immigrant O you can get for all kinds of reasons. Like studying something. Note that studying absolutely anything is fine. If you can show a letter that you will travel to Thailand to study dung beetles at some univeristy or institute then that's just dandy.

Cheers,

Chanchao