Australian pension

johnmcc6

If I marry my carer who I pay a small wage to who otherwise has no income would she be classed as a dependent, which she would be I we married  My sole income is single pensioner retired. Would getting married under these circumstance affect my pension status. Just curious  and doing a little due diligence before making any plans.?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are currently being paid the single persons pension and if you marry you will be paid at the couples pension rate which is a drop in the rate and unless your wife qualifies for the Australian aged pension then you will lose money. Remember that for your wife to qualify then she must be of retirement age and live in Australia for previous 2 years when she makes the application for the pension

If Centrelink finds out you are married to someone who is not an Australian citizen, your pension will be cut in half at minimum. They will treat you as a couple, give you the couple's pension, then say your wife does not qualify. Isn't Australian bureaucracy wonderful?

My personal bitch with Centrelink is they won't pay rent support to pensioners living overseas. They would only have to pay one-quarter to one-third of what they would have to pay if I was renting in Australia, but no. Skinflints.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If Centrelink finds out you are married to someone who is not an Australian citizen, your pension will be cut in half at minimum. They will treat you as a couple, give you the couple's pension, then say your wife does not qualify. Isn't Australian bureaucracy wonderful?

My personal bitch with Centrelink is they won't pay rent support to pensioners living overseas. They would only have to pay one-quarter to one-third of what they would have to pay if I was renting in Australia, but no. Skinflints.

It does not matter if the wife is an Australian citizen or not, once you marry you become a couple and therefore you are only entitled to the couples rate of the pension and that is the same whether you are living in Australia or not.

12 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter if the wife is an Australian citizen or not, once you marry you become a couple and therefore you are only entitled to the couples rate of the pension and that is the same whether you are living in Australia or not.

It's not the same, because outside Australia one loses the pension supplements for phone and electricity.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's not the same, because outside Australia one loses the pension supplements for phone and electricity.

You do not automatically get those supplements even in Australia, you must apply for them the same as the rent assist. The pension rate is the same if you are living in or out of Australia, the only difference is the pension supplement is reduced and you are not entitled to the rent assist or the services (electricity, water or phone concessions) supplement because you are not using the Australian services

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You do not automatically get those supplements even in Australia, you must apply for them the same as the rent assist. The pension rate is the same if you are living in or out of Australia, the only difference is the pension supplement is reduced and you are not entitled to the rent assist or the services (electricity, water or phone concessions) supplement because you are not using the Australian services

Disagree. Every time I land in Australia, my electricity, water and phone concessions are restored. I don't lose them again until six weeks have elapsed after I leave Australia. I don't have to re-apply for them.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Disagree. Every time I land in Australia, my electricity, water and phone concessions are restored. I don't lose them again until six weeks have elapsed after I leave Australia. I don't have to re-apply for them.

You had to use your concession card to apply for them the first time when you got your pension.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True. And your point is?

Your statements are incorrect as far as living in Thailand, I am also a pensioner and I know what I get by living permanently in Thailand and having my pension paid directly from the Reserve Bank of Australia into my Thai bank account and I know what I lose and what I don't lose

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Your statements are incorrect as far as living in Thailand, I am also a pensioner and I know what I get by living permanently in Thailand and having my pension paid directly from the Reserve Bank of Australia into my Thai bank account and I know what I lose and what I don't lose

I save my pension because I don't need it until the end of the financial year, when I transfer a lump sum. I don't know what relevance having your pension paid by the RBA has to the discussion. I know what I get and don't get too.

Perhaps the difference is I go back to Australia every six months for medical checks, whereas you state you are living permanently in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So the OP I assume by his asking if his fake wife can be a “dependent” so he/they can bludge more money from the Aussie taxpayer? 

And Lacessit is calling centrelink skinflints for saving that same taxpayer for not paying his rent in tropical Thailand despite receiving enough handouts from the taxpayer to live off?

Welfare should be restricted to those in need, like the disabled.

The more you give them, the more they want. Abhorrent. Shameless.

Does anyone know, if I take a bargirl back to Australia with her kids, can I get the dole, can she get the dole and will the government pay for her kids, and of course get free education and medical??

3 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

So the OP I assume by his asking if his fake wife can be a “dependent” so he/they can bludge more money from the Aussie taxpayer? 

And Lacessit is calling centrelink skinflints for saving that same taxpayer for not paying his rent in tropical Thailand despite receiving enough handouts from the taxpayer to live off?

Does anyone know, if I take a bargirl back to Australia with her kids, can I get the dole, can she get the dole and will the government pay for her kids, and of course get free education and medical??

I'm actually saving the Australian Government money by not calling on the various emoluments of living in Australia as a senior citizen. Such as subsidised transport, plus electricity, water and phone concessions.

I've paid truckloads of taxes all my working life, so politicians can piss it up against a wall. Pollies like Bronwyn Bishop and Joe Hockey ring any bells?

But for the abject incompetence of politicians and ASIC before, during and after the GFC, I would not even need to rely on an Australian OAP. That, plus getting screwed by the Australian Family Law system.

I live in Thailand because if I lived in Australia, it would be in a caravan park, on a daily diet of bowl noodles.

Shameless? You betcha. I'll take the pricks for every cent I can get. And you know what you can do with your moralising.

I'm actually saving the Australian Government money by not calling on the various emoluments of living in Australia as a senior citizen. Such as subsidised transport, plus electricity, water and phone concessions. I've paid truckloads of taxes all my working life, so politicians can piss it up against a wall. Pollies like Bronwyn Bishop and Joe Hockey ring any bells?

But for the abject incompetence of politicians and ASIC before, during and after the GFC, I would not even need to rely on an Australian OAP. That, plus getting screwed by the Australian Family Law system.

I live in Thailand because if I lived in Australia, it would be in a caravan park, on a daily diet of bowl noodles.

Shameless? You betcha. I'll take the pricks for every cent I can get. And you know what you can do with your moralising.

It's not that bad. With rent assistance and a higher pension in Oz, pension card for meds when you need them, free Medicare cheap wine and cheese and deli products and your dollar is actually worth a dollar instead steadily falling off a cliff here.  

You could easy get a granny flat in small town country or seaside

You don't have medical insurance here. Add that in and oz is cheaper

Have a stroke here and your screwed Medicare won't take you back for at least 6 months on oz

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm actually saving the Australian Government money by not calling on the various emoluments of living in Australia as a senior citizen. Such as subsidised transport, plus electricity, water and phone concessions.

I've paid truckloads of taxes all my working life, so politicians can piss it up against a wall. Pollies like Bronwyn Bishop and Joe Hockey ring any bells?

Truckloads of taxes? But didn’t save anything? Pissed up against the wall?

i don’t like Bronwyn or Joe, because they also bludge of the taxpayer. Leaners, not lifters. 

I like the thai welfare system much more than the Aussie system.

Australia is a great country with plenty of opportunities for those that have a go. 27 years without a recession.

3 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

Those pricks would be the decent hardworking taxpayers.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

Assume whatever you want. There are around 2 million public service employees in Australia. We are one of the most over-governed countries in the world.

So you're a decent hardworking taxpayer? So was I. Didn't piss it up against a wall, got robbed.

Plenty of opportunities for those wanting to have a go? Not any more. Ask any Millennial.

Guys like you have been rorting the tax system for years. Negative gearing, capital gains tax discount etc. Time to get down from your pulpit.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

It's not that bad. With rent assistance and a higher pension in Oz, pension card for meds when you need them, free Medicare cheap wine and cheese and deli products and your dollar is actually worth a dollar instead steadily falling off a cliff here.  

You could easy get a granny flat in small town country or seaside

You don't have medical insurance here. Add that in and oz is cheaper

Have a stroke here and your screwed Medicare won't take you back for at least 6 months on oz

You keep beating the same drum. I've given up listening.

In an answer to the poster, if you marry you will lose approx 200 dollars a fortnight from your single pension if your spouse is not eligible. i have been all through this and fought centerlink up to the court where because of costs i stopped. my solution i divorced my thai wife single pension restored immediately. once you marry there are no ifs nor buts' read and reread centrelink law one part will say you have a chance and on the next page it will contradict what you previously read. so don't do it. 

4 hours ago, madmen said:
4 hours ago, Lacessit said:
You keep beating the same drum. I've given up listening.

Without medical insurance your screwed you know it, I know it.. You think sticking your head in the sand will fix it.... Good luck with that

I have previously told you I have funds set aside for a medical emergency in Thailand. I have also told you I maintain top level private health cover in Australia. I don't consider that's sticking my head in the sand.

I'd suggest getting checked out, as it seems senility is setting in for you if you don't remember what I have previously posted.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:25 PM, Pete1980 said:

Not a fake wife. and what kind of jerk assumes a girl has to be a bar girl? A guy giving a dirt poor woman an income in return for some help in my older years. is not Bludging on the taxpayer . And how do you smart arse know if I am disabled or not? And for your information I earned my pension benefits and have no guilt whatsoever in claiming it. Your assumption are not only wrong they also suck big time.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:49 AM, Lacessit said:

Assume whatever you want. There are around 2 million public service employees in Australia. We are one of the most over-governed countries in the world.

Yeah, and more people than that on welfare bleeding the system. At least the public servants work and pay tax.

So you're a decent hardworking taxpayer? So was I. Didn't piss it up against a wall, got robbed.

Well, I hope you reported it.

Plenty of opportunities for those wanting to have a go? Not any more. Ask any Millennial.

You are not a millennial.

Guys like you have been rorting the tax system for years. Negative gearing, capital gains tax discount etc. Time to get down from your pulpit.

Nothing wrong with tax minimization. Anyone who pays more tax than they need to needs their head read, cos they are spending it very well.

27 years without a recession, we are the lucky country, land of plenty. Got it better than anywhere else on earth.

8 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

Not a fake wife. and what kind of jerk assumes a girl has to be a bar girl? A guy giving a dirt poor woman an income in return for some help in my older years. is not Bludging on the taxpayer . And how do you smart arse know if I am disabled or not? And for your information I earned my pension benefits and have no guilt whatsoever in claiming it. Your assumption are not only wrong they also suck big time.

You asked if she would be a dependant. So I assume the income you will be wanting to give her, is from the Australian taxpayer. You get extra welfare if you have dependants.

Very generous of you. 

From the way you worded your OP it sounded like you were marrying her for the sole purpose as regards to your pension.

Which is illegal.

Anyway, I doubt you will be better off, there are rules in place to stop that sort of nonsense. And rightly so. 

I didnt say your girl was a bargirl. But lets face it, most of the farangs I know in Thailand have met their Teerak in a bar, and often marry them, which quite often results in them qualifying for Australian welfare. It doesnt sit well with me that my taxes are used in that way.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:26 PM, Pete1980 said:

You asked if she would be a dependant. So I assume the income you will be wanting to give her, is from the Australian taxpayer. You get extra welfare if you have dependants.

Very generous of you. 

From the way you worded your OP it sounded like you were marrying her for the sole purpose as regards to your pension.

Which is illegal.

Anyway, I doubt you will be better off, there are rules in place to stop that sort of nonsense. And rightly so. 

I didnt say your girl was a bargirl. But lets face it, most of the farangs I know in Thailand have met their Teerak in a bar, and often marry them, which quite often results in them qualifying for Australian welfare. It doesnt sit well with me that my taxes are used in that way.

I was just asking about pension for married visa to see if it was easier to put 400000 in the bank instead of 800000. The income i give her is my money not from the taxpayer. Unless of course persons on a pension rightly earned is somehow bludging. I was not thinking at all of increased pension rather having my pension reduced because she had an income. The fact many guys marry bar girls is no ones business but theirs. I have been here for many years and know full well what the rules are re dependents who don't qualify.   So get peed off all you like about abusers of the system but it would be nice of you find out why I posted rather than just jump to a conclusion.

Archived