BANGKOK 16 February 2019 06:39
johnmcc6

Australian pension

If I marry my carer who I pay a small wage to who otherwise has no income would she be classed as a dependent, which she would be I we married  My sole income is single pensioner retired. Would getting married under these circumstance affect my pension status. Just curious  and doing a little due diligence before making any plans.?

Dont do it. Tell her your payment will go down less for her less for you, I'm sure she won't complian then

• Like 1

Yes, she will be assessed as being able to work, especially if she is younger than you, suffice to say they will cut your pension downwards. 

• Like 1

The only time you need to do it is if you plan on taking her back to Oz as your going to need some history together

• Like 1

You are currently being paid the single persons pension and if you marry you will be paid at the couples pension rate which is a drop in the rate and unless your wife qualifies for the Australian aged pension then you will lose money. Remember that for your wife to qualify then she must be of retirement age and live in Australia for previous 2 years when she makes the application for the pension

If Centrelink finds out you are married to someone who is not an Australian citizen, your pension will be cut in half at minimum. They will treat you as a couple, give you the couple's pension, then say your wife does not qualify. Isn't Australian bureaucracy wonderful?

My personal bitch with Centrelink is they won't pay rent support to pensioners living overseas. They would only have to pay one-quarter to one-third of what they would have to pay if I was renting in Australia, but no. Skinflints.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If Centrelink finds out you are married to someone who is not an Australian citizen, your pension will be cut in half at minimum. They will treat you as a couple, give you the couple's pension, then say your wife does not qualify. Isn't Australian bureaucracy wonderful?

My personal bitch with Centrelink is they won't pay rent support to pensioners living overseas. They would only have to pay one-quarter to one-third of what they would have to pay if I was renting in Australia, but no. Skinflints.

It does not matter if the wife is an Australian citizen or not, once you marry you become a couple and therefore you are only entitled to the couples rate of the pension and that is the same whether you are living in Australia or not.

12 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter if the wife is an Australian citizen or not, once you marry you become a couple and therefore you are only entitled to the couples rate of the pension and that is the same whether you are living in Australia or not.

It's not the same, because outside Australia one loses the pension supplements for phone and electricity.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's not the same, because outside Australia one loses the pension supplements for phone and electricity.

You do not automatically get those supplements even in Australia, you must apply for them the same as the rent assist. The pension rate is the same if you are living in or out of Australia, the only difference is the pension supplement is reduced and you are not entitled to the rent assist or the services (electricity, water or phone concessions) supplement because you are not using the Australian services

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You do not automatically get those supplements even in Australia, you must apply for them the same as the rent assist. The pension rate is the same if you are living in or out of Australia, the only difference is the pension supplement is reduced and you are not entitled to the rent assist or the services (electricity, water or phone concessions) supplement because you are not using the Australian services

Disagree. Every time I land in Australia, my electricity, water and phone concessions are restored. I don't lose them again until six weeks have elapsed after I leave Australia. I don't have to re-apply for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Disagree. Every time I land in Australia, my electricity, water and phone concessions are restored. I don't lose them again until six weeks have elapsed after I leave Australia. I don't have to re-apply for them.

You had to use your concession card to apply for them the first time when you got your pension.

18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You had to use your concession card to apply for them the first time when you got your pension.

True. And your point is?

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True. And your point is?

Your statements are incorrect as far as living in Thailand, I am also a pensioner and I know what I get by living permanently in Thailand and having my pension paid directly from the Reserve Bank of Australia into my Thai bank account and I know what I lose and what I don't lose

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Your statements are incorrect as far as living in Thailand, I am also a pensioner and I know what I get by living permanently in Thailand and having my pension paid directly from the Reserve Bank of Australia into my Thai bank account and I know what I lose and what I don't lose

I save my pension because I don't need it until the end of the financial year, when I transfer a lump sum. I don't know what relevance having your pension paid by the RBA has to the discussion. I know what I get and don't get too.

Perhaps the difference is I go back to Australia every six months for medical checks, whereas you state you are living permanently in Thailand.