BANGKOK 24 January 2019 03:02
n210mp

its not all one sided

34 minutes ago, n210mp said:

To cut a long story short and after waiting ages at the Police station on the 331 (yes the 331)

Parts of Huai Yai rd. are under administration of Pattaya city, others not.

Complicated. Guess the accident was outside the boundaries of Pattaya (colored in blue):

huaiyaird.jpg

EDIT: or police works by the traditional borders of the districts and not the "artificial" Pattaya borders? Uncertain.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

It's good to have a dash cam in the car, I have two looking forward and one looking backward :smile:

Unless they stop recording for some reason Rimmer, mine was turned on and apparently working but it had stopped recording and we  (The insurance investigator and I) in spite of taking the memory  card out and him trying it in his phone contained no videos. 

Now maybe the  start of another thread really but what is the best Dash cam available, the last two I have had stopped working as this one did but I am at a loss for where to get a good quality one....Anyone know?  

2 hours ago, n210mp said:

Unless they stop recording for some reason Rimmer, mine was turned on and apparently working but it had stopped recording and we  (The insurance investigator and I) in spite of taking the memory  card out and him trying it in his phone contained no videos. 

Now maybe the  start of another thread really but what is the best Dash cam available, the last two I have had stopped working as this one did but I am at a loss for where to get a good quality one....Anyone know?  

Oh dear that is unfortunate it stopped working.

One of the reasons I have three cameras, I have also had faulty TF cards so maybe worth checking that as well.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, n210mp said:

Try another memory card in it.....mine would not record also some time ago due to a dodgy card bought a new genuine one and alls been well since......my dashcam was a cheapie from Lazada (800 baht I think) had it nearly 3 years and still working fine :thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, n210mp said:

If one has a cheap, 1k - 2k baht generic dash cam, take the SD card out of the camera once a week and check the video files on your laptop of computer. Then either reformat it before you stick it back in the dash cam or reformat it in the dash cam of that's an option.

Unless one forks out upwards of 5k baht for decent one with all the bells and whistles, the above should help reduce data loss when it is most needed.

• Like 2

Op... You handled the situation exactly as it should be handled... 

Some people love to make threats in this situation... quite amusing how quick they were to attempt to extort you. 

It seems you played the game well... Just let the insurance deal with it and of course, not accepting any fault. 

It's now up to your insurance to deal with the Motorcyclist - if they even bother. Of course, you may no longer get a discount on your insurance premium next year as you have made a claim, but thats just the way it is here in Thailand. 

It's up to the Police to deal with the illegal motorcyclist riding with no license - of course, they won't bother. 

The law is obviously on your side. 

Regarding Dash-Cams... reliability is an issue with the cheaper models, but many models require a time to time re-formatting of the memory card (The memory card is SanDisk - Class 10)

I do this about every 6 months or so with mine (when I remember), but I've never had issues extracting a 3min file when checking it. 

I use BlackVue and have found them reliable...  their new models forwards and rear facing look good. 

Slightly Off topic - but of note for the motorcyclists: 

I've just ordered the Innovv K2 dash-cam for my motorcycle (forward and rear facing)... just to cover me under similar circumstances... hope I'll never need to. 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 7:44 PM, n210mp said:

She called the Police.

To cut a long story short and after waiting ages at the Police station on the 331 (yes the 331) The woman finished up paying the police some money, it looked like 500 Baht, may have been a fine?  and then after checking my details sent me on my merry way

I'm more interested in how your insurance company handled the situation. 
Although it seems as neither the local drivers nor the police actually understand Thai laws that apply to driving, I'm sure that insurance companies do.  They are the ones who lose money.  The insurance company will need to pay for your damages because the motorcycle driver didn't have insurance, but that should also mean that the insurance company will go after that driver for compensation.  The 500 THB to the cops does not make the damage to your car go away.  The motorcycle driver is still on the hook for civil damages.

• Like 2

The 500 baht to the police (that the other party paid) was probably the fine for "being involved in an accident". I had that happen last Spring when an old couple on a crap scooter cut across 2 lanes and then tried to make a right turn directly in front of me.

The police arrived very quickly (as they had been doing traffic checks at an intersection barely 500 meters away). I had a GoPro but those are crap as the batteries only last a couple hours at best.

The police took our statements, the insurance rep (mine, as, of course, they didn't have a license or insurance at all) took pics and wrote a report. The old couple and I both had to pay a fine for being involved in an accident and that was it.
(In fact, while still at the scene of the accident and talking to the senior police officer, I pulled out the 24 hour contact info for the insurance company. As soon as the officer saw that he asked "Insurance ?". When I said yes, that basically ended the whole affair. Everyone packed up and left the scene and we went to the police station. Couple hours later (after paying the fine) I was at a hotel waiting for my buddy to come pick up my bike.)

Insurance paid for (most) of the repairs to my bike and then, a few months later when my insurance was due for renewal, they doubled my rates. :glare:

No further action taken by anyone. Had there been significant injuries (to either party) the outcome may have been different.

I bought a proper camera system for the bike after that, with front and rear cameras. It runs off of vehicle power so no worries about battery life. It also is set up to start automatically when I start the bike and I've set it to shut off a minute after I shut the bike off. If the camera senses a sudden change speed (like when you slam on the brakes) it is supposed to "lock" the current video file to prevent it from being overwritten in the event of an accident. I used a 64 gb memory card and I think I've got it set to limit file size to 10 minutes.

Only problem is, the video files are in some weird .mp4 format that I can't view. I've used 4 different players so far and none of them recognize the files. I've noticed a similar problem over the last year with some .jpg files as well. I'll take 20 pictures and for some reason, 16 of them can't be viewed (even on the camera or phone that took the pictures and the error is always the same "file format not recognized" (or not supported, etc).

• Like 1