Credit Card for Thai Wife

Is it possible that my Thai Wife can get a credit card if she has no income but only assets ?

Or any other card that can be used to make hotel bookings abroad for example ? I think that hotels do not accept Debit Cards for reservation, but I am not sure.

Ka

Is it possible that my Thai Wife can get a credit card if she has no income but only assets ?
Or any other card that can be used to make hotel bookings abroad for example ? I think that hotels do not accept Debit Cards for reservation, but I am not sure.
Kasikorn has an virtuel Kweb shopping cart. You can set your spending limits

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

The Kbank virtual card can also be turned on and off at will.

Generally Your wife will not get a credit card unless she has income and can demonstrate it by bank statements for a minimum 1 yr. (Circumstances/banks may vary)

Thank you Henry15 and CharlieH for the information about Kbank virtual card.

I hope this can be used to make hotel reservations and maybe on Paypal.

And I like your text at the end of your post, CharlieH.

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you all for the information about Kbank virtual card.

I have used the kbank card for both of those myself, without a problem.

Kasikorn gave my wife a 'credit card' after she deposited 20,000 bht in an account for it . The limit is 20,000bht and to me it is basically a debit card but they call it credit.

Oddly enough she took out 18,000 other week and next payment said she had to pay 3000bht as payment which I thought was high and they charged her about 700bht I think despite all of it being her money anyway !!

12 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thank you Henry15 and CharlieH for the information about Kbank virtual card.

And I like your text at the end of your post, CharlieH.

BB also has a credit card if you have a secured deposit, depending on how much you want to secure they will give you a credit card for that amount.... maybe not as good as the KBank option but it's also available

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Think twice if it is your account being debited

Thanks, but no need to think twice. Fortunately my wife and myself do not have to distinguish between "your money " and "my money". She carries currently a Mastercard Gold which she used for more than 10 years - debited to "my" account. But maybe not everyone is so fortunate in this regard, which I think is indeed sad.

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Paying direct to an overseas hotel may not work.

Then it is not worth it. A real Credit Card needs to be accepted worldwide. It is either a Visa or Mastercard (preferably) or something in this league.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

BB also has a credit card if you have a secured deposit, depending on how much you want to secure they will give you a credit card for that amount.... maybe not as good as the KBank option but it's also available

Thanks, this can be done. However "a credit card" may not be accepted everywhere. It must be one of the big names I suppose.

13 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks, but no need to think twice. Fortunately my wife and myself do not have to distinguish between "your money " and "my money". She carries currently a Mastercard Gold which she used for more than 10 years - debited to "my" account. But maybe not everyone is so fortunate in this regard, which I think is indeed sad.

Not sad, just sensible maybe....????

20 hours ago, moogradod said:

Kasikorn Bank virtual visa works for all online sales I've tried over the past 6 years.  Never an issue. 

If you  have no issues with her overspending or whatever you can just ask the bank for an additional card linked to yours with her name on it.... 

My wife had one of  mine for years and  hardly ever used it but when it comes to shopping some women are just batshit crazy, some gfs over the years  i trusted with cards never stole a penny but  others i got the feeling would shop me into bankruptcy given the opportunity... ???? 

If your still paranoid , enable sms alerts and loan her one of your debit cards for household shopping etc.... You will know instantly every time she spends, how much and where at.... And you can disable the card from the app on your phone if starts buying 30k+ handbags at gucci  or prada lol

That will  help you  decide if it's safe to give her her own credit card or not.. ???? 

( as long as you don't give  the pin number nobody can  check the account balance or take bulk cash  from atm on it) 

For many years we  given  cards to the maids to buy household groceries at tesco etc  and never been ripped off yet ......

Strangely ,Thai  retailers don't seem to care about a female maid from Burma signing a credit card in a male farang name but security is a matter for another thread.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, Jonmarleesco said:

No reason for a hotel - or any other service business - to not accept a debit card vs a credit card. A CC could as easily have no credit as a DC no funds. 

Hotels cannot make a "reservation" of money on a debit card I suppose. On a Credit Card they can - the money is then blocked from spending from the CC allowance until they unblock it.

17 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

If you  have no issues with her overspending or whatever you can just ask the bank for an additional card linked to yours with her name on it.... 

....but when it comes to shopping some women are just batshit crazy, some gfs over the years  i trusted with cards never stole a penny but  others i got the feeling would shop me into bankruptcy given the opportunity... ???? 

....You will know instantly every time she spends, how much and where at.... And you can disable the card from the app on your phone if starts buying 30k+ handbags at gucci  or prada lol

That will  help you  decide if it's safe to give her her own credit card or not.. ????

Thanks for caring, but I may trust my wife. We have been married now for more than 12 years. She would never buy something expensive without asking me first, using CC or not. As I said she has a MC Gold for more than 10 years now.

The situation with GF is different. Had some before my marriage and it would have been desastrous to give them a card I think.

Many expats seem to believe that women in Thailand cannot be trusted. It may even correspond to their experience and they make jokes about anybody claiming otherwise (like catman20) - like this would be some universal law. I think this is sad for it is simply not true for everybody. Maybe for some, but not all.

And then it seems that the scheme Farang=rich and Woman=poor is established much in the minds.

But my wife is not poor at all. Nevertheless she will have no credit card when we will stay in Thailand because she does not have income. Neither me nor my wife work. But we will look at the alternatives posted here. Thanks for all the helpful and serious contributions here.

As for the bags ????  Gucci and Prada have a very conservative design and my wife would not even want one.

The situation is not always the same for everybody. Different as individuals themselves. Equal to the extent that we are all human with some deep rooted deficiancies which are hard to overcome.

My wife has a couple of Bangkok Bank Credit cards - with no income.

But we did have a mortgage (with me as guarantor) in her name when she applied for them, as well as a history of paying off car loans, so she had a proper credit rating, as well as her being a bank customer for years (from before we got married in 1999).

It's the old rule with banks. They'll lend you an umbrella when it's not raining. (i.e. You can easily get a credit card if they are sure that you don't need it).

Archived