Thai Elite 20 vs 5 year, Thoughts?

Hey all, new member here. Any thoughts on the 20 vs the 5 year? It seems there is better value in the long run with the 20 year, though it's more cash up front. We all know cash now is worth more than cash later.. haha.

I can afford both, though the 5 year is a bit more palatable. However, I'm a sucker value and really it's causing an issue of indecision lol.

I'm 36, from the US, love it here in Thailand, no need to work here as I have income from passive investments abroad. It would be nice to have a place I can setup shop that doesn't tax worldwide income (1 year seasoning requirement in TH is a non-issue), and not have to deal with much as far as immigration goes. It also would make it easier to return to the US for longer than 35 days a year if I setup a life here in Bangkok (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) rather than just bounce around to different countries all the time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was weighing these two options. Any other Thai Elite Visa holders that already decided on one of the two options, care to share your thoughts/advice on my predicament? Or those who are in the process of making that decision as well?

Please, no need for the whole "that visa is so not worth it" convo. Also, if this post doesn't belong here, just let me know mods! Thanks in advance all ????
Edited by MehrK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I got the 5 year version in 2014, back then the 1 million Baht 20 year version was not available.

I wish it was because when this one expires I will be buying a 20 year membership...

My total spent will be 1.5 Million Baht at that point.

What will you do in 5 years time - buy another 5 year membership ? If so then I would suggest just going for the 20 year version if you intend to stay for at least 10 years.

Ah very interesting perspective. That's something to consider also. If I buy the 5 year, and want to live here much longer, It will end up being 1.5m total IF it's still 1m Baht to get the 20 year, 5 years from now.

Thanks for sharing man. To be honest I have no idea how things will be in 5 years, sigh. I guess I need to make some big boy decisions.  

First of all, I do not have an EV. Im over well over 50 so retirement extension is my best option. My mate just obtained his 5 year EV. Difference to op is that he is mid 40,s. Perfect option for him. Someone say 30 (if that was me) I would do the 20yr in a blink. On small side issue, I fly every few weeks outside Thailand. Be it Vietnam, Japan etc. The limo service and few other perks just so nice. I'm not showing off. Mostly very frugal. Never flown business class in my life and I fly every week. I would love a EV but sadly discovered los later in life. The op might have noted changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

34 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I got the 5 year version in 2014, back then the 1 million Baht 20 year version was not available.

I wish it was because when this one expires I will be buying a 20 year membership...

My total spent will be 1.5 Million Baht at that point.

What will you do in 5 years time - buy another 5 year membership ? If so then I would suggest just going for the 20 year version if you intend to stay for at least 10 years.

Where are you seeing that the 20 year is 1 million baht??? It's 2 million baht: https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-ultimate-privilege-membership?locate=en

And where are you seeing a 5 year version? I don't see it on thier site.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op might take not of changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

What changes to the SETV & METV are you taking about?

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First of all, I do not have an EV. Im over well over 50 so retirement extension is my best option. My mate just obtained his 5 year EV. Difference to op is that he is mid 40,s. Perfect option for him. Someone say 30 (if that was me) I would do the 20yr in a blink. On small side issue, I fly every few weeks outside Thailand. Be it Vietnam, Japan etc. The limo service and few other perks just so nice. I'm not showing off. Mostly very frugal. Never flown business class in my life and I fly every week. I would love a EV but sadly discovered los later in life. The op might have noted changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

Thanks for sharing Dr.Jack I like to bounce around a lot and visit different places as well. it really would be nice to whisk through immigration and not have any worries about issues with VE/SETV/METV, which I definitely am hearing a lot about things getting "stricter" as far as people spending a lot of time here.

One thing to note is that the cheaper 1m baht 20 year version, doesn't include the limo rides. It just comes with arrival help/immigration/lounges as far as arrival/departures goes. In BKK I like to stay near On nut which isn't too far from the airport anyway!

Thanks for the pep talk, it's nice to hear someone else's perspective when I'm on the fence on certain things.

Edited by MehrK

13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What changes to the SETV & METV are you taking about?

It was poor grammar on my behalf.

What I meant was seems more reports now on being hassled (especially at airports) of tourists with several tourists visas and visa exempt back to back. Current threads running. Also if we look over last 5 years or some changes such as no double, triple entry and newish METV only obtained in home country. When I first arrived los I was over 50 and could easily of done a non o retirement. As I mentioned, I fly out of los every few weeks and for year or 2 did visa exempt stamps. When Thai imm got tired of that I moved to tourist visas. Then one day at Saigon applying for a setv lady said.

Why you no apply correct visa. Stay Thailand long time. 

Etc etc. My point.... the op is 36. Seems he can afford EV. Why not avoid the hassels. BTW op moving to Thailand is maybe one of best things I have done. However money helps. Yes its cheap but nice to live well.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MehrK said:

Thanks for sharing man. To be honest I have no idea how things will be in 5 years, sigh. I guess I need to make some big boy decisions.  

How long have you been staying in Thailand to date?

16 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

That's a very good question. I've been banging on how happy I've been since moving here.

The OP is young and didn't mention his history with Thailand. BigT has a good point. A few visas and visa exempt for perhaps a year before the big decision would be prudent.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Hey OP,

I'm in the same boat as you, and seriously considering the PE elite Visa, I've been here now 4 years, but mainly on the metv 6 month Visa that can be pushed out to 9-12 months with a bit of planning however I feel I'm pushing my luck a bit,

I am 35 years old and receive a foreign income from Australia, I also dont qualify for any other Visa, I'm not married, not old enough for a retirement Visa, and not willing to park the 10 million thb in a thai bank account that earns terrible interest, 

As your thinking about moving here I reccomend go for at least the metv Visa and see if you enjoy life here, if all ok then obtain the PE elite Visa, the 20 year is definiaty much better value, best to break it down and align it with your home country CPI, inflation, income etc and it's a no brainer, cheers 

• Like 2

I have just one small contribution to offer. The five-year Elite visa actually gives nearly six years of stay if you do a border bounce just before the end of the fifth year. Of course, the other Thailand Elite privileges would not apply in the sixth year. If completely undecided, that might possibly swing the decision towards the five-year option.

• Like 1

My yearly retirement extension takes me well under one hour to obtain and costs me just 2000B (including photos and photocopies). It is nothing even remotely like a hassle. In fact I would say that a normal weekly trip to the supermarket is much more of a hassle and takes longer.

Some people just don't like having to deal with Immigration for whatever reason, so for them, it's a good option.

Your circumstances suit you but not everybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Amazing, do you live on immigration's doorstep?

Not quite, but my daily walk does take me right past the end of Soi 5. Most people who live in Pattaya/Jomtien find it easy enough to get there.

33 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Some people just don't like having to deal with Immigration for whatever reason, so for them, it's a good option.

That's as maybe. But to suggest that it is a universal hassle is very misleading.

Anyone who really doesn't like dealing with Thai Immigration may have picked the wrong country to live in.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Not quite, but my daily walk does take me right past the end of Soi 5. Most people who live in Pattaya/Jomtien find it easy enough to get there.

That's as maybe. But to suggest that it is a universal hassle is very misleading.

Anyone who really doesn't like dealing with Thai Immigration may have picked the wrong country to live in.

Not really.

There's plenty of people on here who use agents who do just that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BigT73 said:

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a very good question. I've been banging on how happy I've been since moving here.

The OP is young and didn't mention his history with Thailand. BigT has a good point. A few visas and visa exempt for perhaps a year before the big decision would be prudent.

Over the past few years I've come in and spent a good chunk of time each year, 2-3 months. This year has been a bit longer than this. I'm growing tired of bouncing around the world without a home base and so far, in all my travels, Bangkok has been the most convenient for me as far as lifestyle, I feel really productive here and life is good. It's a great travel hub as well. It'd be nice to have a cool place to call home. I do travel a lot, and probably will during the really bad weather months.

The other option is the MM2H in Malaysia, but that ties up a bit more funds (even though it's in an account and not just flat out being spent). It's probably a better program moneywise, but I like life in Thailand better than Malaysia so far.

This is a great question and thanks for helping me think about this out loud. I don't think I'm at the point where I can say I definitely want to stay here a full 20 years, but at the same time I can see myself living here for the time being. I must say that I've been a bit worried about all the reports I've heard of people getting denied entry on back to back tourist visas and extensions. Getting a long term lease and worrying about that, and not being able to get my stuff if I have an issue, is what's making me consider this. I just don't want to think about and/or worry about anything Visa/immigration related, have a home base, and come and go as I please.

I've thought about doing the Muay Thai visa for a year to see how I like it, but I also don't want to be required to do that 2x a week, because I train other martial arts and it might be too much. Sounds fun at first, but I would then be reliant on that haha.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

The flip side of saving money (long term) on a longer TE Visa is that you may feel locked in if your situation or the political climate changes and other SEA countries start looking more appealing.  Or your finances or health change and you need to repatriate or start working- which isn't allowed under a TE Visa.

I'm not forecasting what's going to happen, but flexibility is worth money.

Very true. I definitely would have a bias to stay longer because I committed to the longer term TE Visa. I could look at it as a 20 year commitment or frame it as a commitment in the beginning, but an option of a place to call home for the next 20 years. That's pretty valuable to basically have a place to setup residency that doesn't tax worldwide income. 

However if I paid for the 20 year and something did happen and I wanted to go live somewhere else or HAD to, I would kick myself in the butt.

It seems like healthcare would be easier to deal with here in Thailand, than in the US, from what I've experienced so far haha. Regarding working, I believe I'd be able to setup a Thai company through the Amity Treaty and having a TE Visa makes the situation as an owner working in the business much easier. IF I decided to make moves here in Thailand. 

11 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

Hi OP,
Do you see yourself in Thailand in 10, 15 or 20 years?  Do you have an extra 15k for PE which doesn't create any financial difficulties for you? If Yes go ahead and get it for 20 if No get it for 5.

I'm 60 and retiring. Still, I will go ahead with the 20 year PE visa. Why? Because I can afford it easily, don't like stress and sitting 9 hours at the ToMo for an extension. In addition, I will have a good reason to live until 80 otherwise, if I die earlier I'll be really pissed about the wasted money.

I can see myself in Thailand for that long, though I'm not 100% dead set on it as a resolute decision. I definitely would rather have it as a home base than the US, and it's been the place I like the most in all my world travels. The extra $15k doesn't create financial difficulties, but as an investor, I could always use that money for something. 

To be honest, I don't even know what the ToMo is, but spending 9 hours for an extension is the exact thing that I never want to deal with lmao. Your giving yourself a reason to live past 80 is really funny and I think that is a good motivator, if any haha! I like it.

4 hours ago, galt67 said:

Myself and friend, both 50+, have the 20 year TE.

Why?

We're NOT going anywhere in that we've decided Thailand is our 'home' and want to minimize hassles living here. And Thai Imm is a HASSLE as seen in thousands of comments.

If you consider Thailand your 'home', or that you'll probably be staying here long-time for many years, then the 20-year is a better 'value.' 

For me, $50kB/year equals, on a monthly basis, $128USD. A no-brainer, IMO.

Yeah, the $128/mo really is a no brainer as far as value. I guess the real decision I need to make is whether I will stay long enough to take advantage of that value with the higher up front cost.

If you were going other places say spending 8-9 months a year here, and traveling for the other 3 or 4, would you still do the 20 year TE to avoid hassles for all the same reasons?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have just one small contribution to offer. The five-year Elite visa actually gives nearly six years of stay if you do a border bounce just before the end of the fifth year. Of course, the other Thailand Elite privileges would not apply in the sixth year. If completely undecided, that might possibly swing the decision towards the five-year option.

This is true! I've been considering this little value hack in comparing the 5 vs 20. (keep it simple, that's way using a rough $15k)

$15k USD (keep it simple) / 5 = $3k a year - or $250/mo

$15k USD / 6 = $2.5k a year or $210/mo

Definitely gives it a nudge to play it safer while keeping things a little more palatable. The 5 year also does come with the 24 arrive/departure Transfers a year and the 20 year doesn't haha.

If only I had a crystal ball to know if the 20 year for 1m baht would be available and for the same price in 5 or 6 years. It would also be nice to know the currency rate between the USD and the THB at that specific time. ???? 

32 minutes ago, MehrK said:

This is true! I've been considering this little value hack in comparing the 5 vs 20. (keep it simple, that's way using a rough $15k)

$15k USD (keep it simple) / 5 = $3k a year - or $250/mo

$15k USD / 6 = $2.5k a year or $210/mo

Definitely gives it a nudge to play it safer while keeping things a little more palatable. The 5 year also does come with the 24 arrive/departure Transfers a year and the 20 year doesn't haha.

If only I had a crystal ball to know if the 20 year for 1m baht would be available and for the same price in 5 or 6 years. It would also be nice to know the currency rate between the USD and the THB at that specific time. ???? 

Yes I noticed britim post earlier and he has very good point. Being 36 your could effectively do two 5+1 EV putting almost at 50. Then perhaps move onto the non o based on retirement. Gives you that nice flexibility after your first 5 yrs EV to reacess "how its all going with you".

You mention behaps live bkk as a base. I meet lot of xpats who often say " how do live in bkk"...point is I/we are there hardly ever more than say 10 days. Pick an area near bts or MRT with good access to both airports. Then enjoy Thailand and international trips. I often go to Saigon just for few days. I would have loved an EV but already being over 50yr but the cheapness of the non o was too much of difference. Think I'm jumping in britim camp that the 5+1 yrs might be best. However has anyone actually tested this yet. I don't think its been available for 5 yrs yet. Any updates?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MehrK said:

However if I paid for the 20 year and something did happen and I wanted to go live somewhere else or HAD to, I would kick myself in the butt.

It seems like healthcare would be easier to deal with here in Thailand, than in the US, from what I've experienced so far haha. Regarding working, I believe I'd be able to setup a Thai company through the Amity Treaty and having a TE Visa makes the situation as an owner working in the business much easier. IF I decided to make moves here in Thailand. 

Go get the 20 years and call this place home, forget about the 5 year.

You are young and mobile, why look at so far down the road.  You get that 20 years and looks like you will easily be living here the next 5 years.  If you want to live in another country after 5 or 8 years, then go live there, if you change your mind then come back here, a place you call home (this feeling is hard to beat).  Like I said you are young so you mustn't let that 20 year visa tie you down!

Edited by farangx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on the Thailand Elite:

For the financially inclined, the Net Present Value (NPV) of paying 1 million baht for a 20-year visa year 0 versus spending 500K baht for four 5-year Elite visas years 0, 5, 10, and 15 works out pretty close.

I like to go back to USA every 1 or 2 years and, if my OA scenario works out, the money saved from the Thai Elite would pay for a good chunk of those trips with an OA over the next 5 to 20 years.

• Like 1

For 1 million b you can buy a decent condo in Pattaya.

Life has no quarantees just thinking back how much my life has changed in many ways over the past 20 years.

I think it is a bad deal especially if you are over 50.

But people can certainly do what they want with their money.

• Like 1