Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 January 2019 11:35
MehrK

Thai Elite 20 vs 5 year, Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

Hey all, new member here. Any thoughts on the 20 vs the 5 year? It seems there is better value in the long run with the 20 year, though it's more cash up front. We all know cash now is worth more than cash later.. haha.
 
I can afford both, though the 5 year is a bit more palatable. However, I'm a sucker value and really it's causing an issue of indecision lol.
 
I'm 36, from the US, love it here in Thailand, no need to work here as I have income from passive investments abroad. It would be nice to have a place I can setup shop that doesn't tax worldwide income (1 year seasoning requirement in TH is a non-issue), and not have to deal with much as far as immigration goes. It also would make it easier to return to the US for longer than 35 days a year if I setup a life here in Bangkok (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) rather than just bounce around to different countries all the time.
 
I'm sure I'm not the only one who was weighing these two options. Any other Thai Elite Visa holders that already decided on one of the two options, care to share your thoughts/advice on my predicament? Or those who are in the process of making that decision as well?
 
Please, no need for the whole "that visa is so not worth it" convo. Also, if this post doesn't belong here, just let me know mods! Thanks in advance all 🙂
Edited by MehrK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I got the 5 year version in 2014, back then the 1 million Baht 20 year version was not available.

 

I wish it was because when this one expires I will be buying a 20 year membership...

 

My total spent will be 1.5 Million Baht at that point.

 

What will you do in 5 years time - buy another 5 year membership ? If so then I would suggest just going for the 20 year version if you intend to stay for at least 10 years.

 

Ah very interesting perspective. That's something to consider also. If I buy the 5 year, and want to live here much longer, It will end up being 1.5m total IF it's still 1m Baht to get the 20 year, 5 years from now.

 

Thanks for sharing man. To be honest I have no idea how things will be in 5 years, sigh. I guess I need to make some big boy decisions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I do not have an EV. Im over well over 50 so retirement extension is my best option. My mate just obtained his 5 year EV. Difference to op is that he is mid 40,s. Perfect option for him. Someone say 30 (if that was me) I would do the 20yr in a blink. On small side issue, I fly every few weeks outside Thailand. Be it Vietnam, Japan etc. The limo service and few other perks just so nice. I'm not showing off. Mostly very frugal. Never flown business class in my life and I fly every week. I would love a EV but sadly discovered los later in life. The op might have noted changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I got the 5 year version in 2014, back then the 1 million Baht 20 year version was not available.

 

I wish it was because when this one expires I will be buying a 20 year membership...

 

My total spent will be 1.5 Million Baht at that point.

 

What will you do in 5 years time - buy another 5 year membership ? If so then I would suggest just going for the 20 year version if you intend to stay for at least 10 years.

 

Where are you seeing that the 20 year is 1 million baht??? It's 2 million baht: https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-ultimate-privilege-membership?locate=en

 

And where are you seeing a 5 year version? I don't see it on thier site.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op might take not of changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

What changes to the SETV & METV are you taking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Where are you seeing that the 20 year is 1 million baht??? It's 2 million baht: https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-ultimate-privilege-membership?locate=en

 

And where are you seeing a 5 year version? I don't see it on thier site.

I'm not sure if url's are okay on this forum as I'm new, but here is the link for them:

 

20 year for 1m version: https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-superiority-extension-membership?locate=en

5 year for 500k version: https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-easy-access-membership?locate=en

 

Hope that helps!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First of all, I do not have an EV. Im over well over 50 so retirement extension is my best option. My mate just obtained his 5 year EV. Difference to op is that he is mid 40,s. Perfect option for him. Someone say 30 (if that was me) I would do the 20yr in a blink. On small side issue, I fly every few weeks outside Thailand. Be it Vietnam, Japan etc. The limo service and few other perks just so nice. I'm not showing off. Mostly very frugal. Never flown business class in my life and I fly every week. I would love a EV but sadly discovered los later in life. The op might have noted changes towards people trying to stay here long term on setv,METV,VE etc. Starting to become more difficult. Op if you afford it go for it. 

Thanks for sharing Dr.Jack I like to bounce around a lot and visit different places as well. it really would be nice to whisk through immigration and not have any worries about issues with VE/SETV/METV, which I definitely am hearing a lot about things getting "stricter" as far as people spending a lot of time here.

 

One thing to note is that the cheaper 1m baht 20 year version, doesn't include the limo rides. It just comes with arrival help/immigration/lounges as far as arrival/departures goes. In BKK I like to stay near On nut which isn't too far from the airport anyway!

 

Thanks for the pep talk, it's nice to hear someone else's perspective when I'm on the fence on certain things.

Edited by MehrK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What changes to the SETV & METV are you taking about?

It was poor grammar on my behalf.

What I meant was seems more reports now on being hassled (especially at airports) of tourists with several tourists visas and visa exempt back to back. Current threads running. Also if we look over last 5 years or some changes such as no double, triple entry and newish METV only obtained in home country. When I first arrived los I was over 50 and could easily of done a non o retirement. As I mentioned, I fly out of los every few weeks and for year or 2 did visa exempt stamps. When Thai imm got tired of that I moved to tourist visas. Then one day at Saigon applying for a setv lady said.

Why you no apply correct visa. Stay Thailand long time. 

Etc etc. My point.... the op is 36. Seems he can afford EV. Why not avoid the hassels. BTW op moving to Thailand is maybe one of best things I have done. However money helps. Yes its cheap but nice to live well.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MehrK said:

Thanks for sharing man. To be honest I have no idea how things will be in 5 years, sigh. I guess I need to make some big boy decisions.  

How long have you been staying in Thailand to date?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

How long have you been staying in Thailand to date?

That's a very good question. I've been banging on how happy I've been since moving here.

The OP is young and didn't mention his history with Thailand. BigT has a good point. A few visas and visa exempt for perhaps a year before the big decision would be prudent.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey OP,

 

I'm in the same boat as you, and seriously considering the PE elite Visa, I've been here now 4 years, but mainly on the metv 6 month Visa that can be pushed out to 9-12 months with a bit of planning however I feel I'm pushing my luck a bit,

 

I am 35 years old and receive a foreign income from Australia, I also dont qualify for any other Visa, I'm not married, not old enough for a retirement Visa, and not willing to park the 10 million thb in a thai bank account that earns terrible interest, 

 

As your thinking about moving here I reccomend go for at least the metv Visa and see if you enjoy life here, if all ok then obtain the PE elite Visa, the 20 year is definiaty much better value, best to break it down and align it with your home country CPI, inflation, income etc and it's a no brainer, cheers 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×