Getting a pair of jeans shipped from US, any tips?

ThaiRebound

Hi All, 

Should there be any trouble having something shipped to my hotel residence in Udon Thani? A family member is sending a new pair of Levi's jeans, tags removed. I was thinking to have the sender stain them lightly to make them seem used and maybe put them in a slightly dingy bag. Do you have any experience having this type of thing sent? Did/Does it usually make it over? Is there a particular courier service which is more/less dependable? Would it be safer for them to print out labels in Thai Language as well as have English Lettering on the package? Are these things ever targetted because of the country source or English lettering?

Any relevant information appreciated! (Please type snarky comments in titanium-white text for easy viewing on my screen)

TR

The best part of life is or can be, family relationships.  OP obviously is willing to put forth effort to take care of a family members' wishes.  Good for him!
I read at that the OP owns the jeans. And a family member will send them

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

DONT use any form of courier ! Use standard US postal service, make sure declared value is lower than $50.

This. Use USPS. I lived in Thailand for 8 years and had family ship me items  that I ordered online all the time and I never once had to pay any fees and never had my packages opened. Plus you can track your USPS package on the Thai Post website using the USPS tracking number once it arrives in Thailand. Doesn't hurt to include a short handwritten note just to show that it's coming from someone instead of a business but after all the packages I had sent to Thailand, I have the impression that they don't even open or check USPS packages for the most part.

• Like 1

Not sure of the best or safest shipping method, especially around the Christmas holiday season.  It's seems to be the high season for "customs/receivers" freebie buffet and "stick it to the farang" on customs baht appraisals.

I (and family back home) have used both courier (DHL, Fedex, etc) and Canada Post "express", to ship to here from Canada.   Make sure you take pictures of the contents of your shipment, and for your own curiosity, how it was packed.  I've experienced more ruffles, than clear sailing shipments, everything from missing items, package disappearing off the radar (tracking), to wildly over appraised value (and having to make a financial "suggestion" involving an envelope).  

P.S.  Yeah, I agree, Levi 501 button fly's with exact waist/leg measurements and denim quality is not the same here

Wash the jeans before shipping. No tags or anything to indicate they’re new. 

On customs form say “used clothing” and declared value $28 USD or lower. 

Abything above $28 means duties and taxes. 

USPS is fine. No problem with having clothes sent to me using USPS. 

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

Not sure of the best or safest shipping method, especially around the Christmas holiday season.  It's seems to be the high season for "customs/receivers" freebie buffet and "stick it to the farang" on customs baht appraisals.

I (and family back home) have used both courier (DHL, Fedex, etc) and Canada Post "express", to ship to here from Canada.   Make sure you take pictures of the contents of your shipment, and for your own curiosity, how it was packed.  I've experienced more ruffles, than clear sailing shipments, everything from missing items, package disappearing off the radar (tracking), to wildly over appraised value (and having to make a financial "suggestion" involving an envelope).  

P.S.  Yeah, I agree, Levi 501 button fly's with exact waist/leg measurements and denim quality is not the same here

Does it really matter what size the labels here say. Just go in and try them on.

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Does it really matter what size the labels here say. Just go in and try them on.

...size, color of denim, leg cut (boot cut, straight, slim, relaxed)...not always available here, without an intense shopping commitment.  Much easier to pick (or have someone pick) the exact beasts from a trusted quality retailer back home (not seconds, or the sometimes questionable qc here), at almost half the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poohy said:

Smaller sizes maybe  but larger sizes 40/44 waist none existent...... unless you know better then i am all ears? 

With a 44 inch waist it sounds like you are much more than all ears!   

I'm upset at having a 34" waist for jeans when I used to be 32" until a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, johng said:
2 hours ago, CharlieH said:
40 & 42 readily available 890b

Levis for 890 baht. Where ? ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.mywallet.search.1.6d0c6108OH60MP&q=levi's 501&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=levi%27s 501_0_1

890 Bht will be copies.

Edited by wgdanson

Wow! This why I post on ThaiVisa Forum. Sometimes you guys nail it. 

Levi's 527 isn't available in Udon Thani, not even in either of the two Levi's stores. They (527's) fit me well, are comfortable, and suit my 90's low-rise and bootcut sensibilities. F skinny jeans, straight fit's, or baggies. It may upset some forum members to know that I wear them 4-5 times a week and never wash them. Every month to two months, I'll soak them inside-out in a cold water with a heavy admixture of salt.

22 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The best part of life is or can be, family relationships.  OP obviously is willing to put forth effort to take care of a family members' wishes.  Good for him!

I wish this were the case. Maybe in the world before "Baby It's Cold Outside" was banned from radio stations and redefined as "rapey." This is purely for my own selfish and wanton lust of good-fitting jeans. 

Edited by ThaiRebound
tai po

OP: I get football boots sent over from time to time from the UK (when mine wear out or stink too much).... 

Remove labels...  get a little bit of dirt on them...  attach a personal note... package badly (home made packaging etc not as a courier would)... 

Use regular post.... Defiantly do not use a courier !!!  (a courier will attract the attention of customs)... 

I've done this a number of times, never an issue... it takes about 10 days to 2 weeks from the UK... (costs about £10 if I'm not mistaken - it can't be too different from the US).

But... there are no 100% guarantees... you'll have to take your chances that a) the package doesn't get lost, b) no one steels the jeans, c) Customs don't stop them... 

My Wife also has single item deliveries from the UK (who ship directly in conventional mail not via a courier) and her things (clothes) always arrive.