Thailand’s roads remain some of the deadliest in the world, new report reveals

rooster59

On 12/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, darksidedog said:

I used to think Thais didn't care for the rules, but over time I have concluded that they just simply don't have the first clue about how to drive.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, Dmaxdan said:

All Thais would have to put their hands up and admit that collectively they are poor road users. This is not about individuals.

Wow, talk about generalizing. I think the vast majority do have the first clue how to drive. I am usually overtaking them on the motorway.

The high toll is a direct result of the amount of motorbikes, which is a direct result of the low wages most receive. It says that in the article, but seems it seems to have been ignored so as to slag off the Thai people, which goes on a lot on this forum.

Some people seem to have nothing better to do than slag off their hosts. Makes me wonder why they come here?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a new-ish car driver in thailand it's quite interesting to see how aggressive thai people are on the roads in comparison to other countries, yet they're regarded as one of the friendliest cultures in the world

makes you question a few things...

4 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

It's the strangest thing for me. They are complete maniacs behind the wheel. Yet when they get to Big C or anywhere else with an escalator, they just stand still and stare downward. 

so everyone on a escalator are manics and bad drivers .

The number one reason for the road carnage in Thailand is the lack of Policing. The only deterrent is see is speed cameras, but I never see Police out on patrol.  The motoring public  just does whatever they please. Examples are gross overloading of utes, seatbelts not being worn. Running red lights, dangerous overtaking, drunk driving,  lack of regular vehicle inspections, and the list goes on.  There is no excuse for it.  There are plenty of countries that have excellent Road Policing that Thailand could use as examples of how and what to do 

27 minutes ago, Adventra20 said:

The number one reason for the road carnage in Thailand is the lack of Policing. The only deterrent is see is speed cameras, but I never see Police out on patrol.  The motoring public  just does whatever they please. Examples are gross overloading of utes, seatbelts not being worn. Running red lights, dangerous overtaking, drunk driving,  lack of regular vehicle inspections, and the list goes on.  There is no excuse for it.  There are plenty of countries that have excellent Road Policing that Thailand could use as examples of how and what to do 

Your premise is based on pure assumption.

Thailand's road death rate per 100k is just one set of figures that reflect the road safety situation in Thailand and the situation is far more complex and nuanced than you seem to appreciate.

It's fairly clear that most people are commenting solely from their on untutored perception and based largely on driving in cars........but this accounts for less than 20% of road deaths, so one can only assume that the segments here are pure conjecture.

11 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

as a new-ish car driver in thailand it's quite interesting to see how aggressive thai people are on the roads in comparison to other countries, yet they're regarded as one of the friendliest cultures in the world

makes you question a few things...

As an "old" driver on Thai roads I don't find Thai driving "aggressive" - I think that many foreigners, unused to the radically different road behaviors here find driving stressful and then wrongly assume it is aggressive.

8 minutes ago, assayer said:

Sorry Boys, this is a report based on 2016 data.  2018 is much worse

Given that the situation is unlikely to improve - what figures are you basing your statement on or is it  just assumption?

Most of the posts on driving in Thailand display an alarming amount of cognitive bias of one kind or another...usually confirmation bias and the "bandwagon" effect.

Stats in Thailand on road safety are at best incomplete and collated in an ad hoc manner - it takes time and skilled statisticians to make eve a partially comprehensive interpretation of them - short term and uncollated stats released by various authorities in Thailand ae usually incomplete in their range of figures and grossly misinterpreted by the media.

The Who has just released its 2018 report - and as ever it will be open to rampant misinterpretation by the world media and ignorant commentators.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:57 PM, darksidedog said:

What's this? Thailand has lost the number one spot? Surely someone from Government will deny this soon.

I used to think Thais didn't care for the rules, but over time I have concluded that they just simply don't have the first clue about how to drive. What you need to know to get a license here is laughable, and until that improves this place is always going to remain right up there with the worst fatality rate globally.

Doesn't help that they don't have a form of a learning permit, or at least, if they do I didn't need one to get a Thai license.  That means learning to drive must be done illegally, without a license, which also means uninsured...

If the government would make "lights on all of the time" mandatory, there would be way less accidents. It is amazing how many 2 or 3 yr old are have some tail lights inop.

Of course, if some of the old farang fools in Pattaya would drive motorbikes like normal people, it would also be safer

In looking at these numbers, don't forget that Thailand only 'officially' records deaths at the scene of an accident. Anyone who dies subsequently in a hospital is NOT recorded as an official road accident statistic. Estimates of ALL deaths on Thai roads is likely twice the official figure, closer to 50,000.

17 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

Wow, talk about generalizing. I think the vast majority do have the first clue how to drive. I am usually overtaking them on the motorway.

The high toll is a direct result of the amount of motorbikes, which is a direct result of the low wages most receive. It says that in the article, but seems it seems to have been ignored so as to slag off the Thai people, which goes on a lot on this forum.

Some people seem to have nothing better to do than slag off their hosts. Makes me wonder why they come here?

Try to thicken your fragile skin. This is not a Thai bashing thread. There are many poor countries, but it is Thailand that has the worst accident stats. per capita in the world. "Some people have nothing better to do than defend stupidity"

20 hours ago, brling said:

Try to thicken your fragile skin. This is not a Thai bashing thread. There are many poor countries, but it is Thailand that has the worst accident stats. per capita in the world. "Some people have nothing better to do than defend stupidity"

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/850902-british-thai-actress-anna-reese-settles-with-family-of-dead-policeman/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916674-british-benz-driver-sought-after-fatal-chiang-mai-smash/?page=7

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/817496-british-tourist-kills-police-in-crash/?page=5

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1063307-brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident/

Those statistics are skewed due to all the Brits killing people on Thai roads. 

Four examples provided for you above. And they are only the reported Brits killing people driving one model of car! All over the country.

But where is the outrage?

Almost everyday someone mentions the red bull bloke on this forum. But no mention of the Chiangrai Brit, who killed twice as many people, and ran off. 

Two police officers sadly lost their lives in the above examples I have provided for you. 

There is no outrage, but plenty of people here constantly complaining and generalizing about the beautiful thai people.

1 minute ago, Pete1980 said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/850902-british-thai-actress-anna-reese-settles-with-family-of-dead-policeman/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916674-british-benz-driver-sought-after-fatal-chiang-mai-smash/?page=7

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/817496-british-tourist-kills-police-in-crash/?page=5

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1063307-brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident/

Those statistics are skewed due to all the Brits killing people on Thai roads. 

Four examples provided for you above. And they are only the reported Brits killing people driving one model of car! All over the country.

But where is the outrage?

Almost everyday someone mentions the red bull bloke on this forum. But no mention of the Chiangrai Brit, who killed twice as many people, and ran off. 

Two police officers sadly lost their lives in the above examples I have provided for you. 

There is no outrage, but plenty of people here constantly complaining and generalizing about the beautiful thai people.

Get a life. 99.9 % of accidents on Thai roads involve Thais, and if you removed all the farangs from Thailand, they would still have the worst accident statistics per capital in the world.  btw these "beautiful Thai people usually flee the scene of an accident.

7 minutes ago, brling said:

Get a life. 99.9 % of accidents on Thai roads involve Thais, and if you removed all the farangs from Thailand, they would still have the worst accident statistics per capital in the world.  btw these "beautiful Thai people usually flee the scene of an accident.

The article clearly states that Thailand hasn't got the worst accident statistics as you claim. 

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good thaibash though champ. Thanks for proving me right.

And as you say the accidents above did involve Thais. They are all dead. Their families are not doubt struggling emotionally and financially.

If you are out on the roads today take care mate, especially if you see farangs driving Mercedes.

God bless you.

• 8 months later...

I hope that the Soon to be introduced Points System on Driving Licences Will help to eradicate many of the Faults I see daily by Thai Drivers  but I will Not Hold my breath ? I sit and have a beer at a market and watch Dozens of Vehicles driven through red lights , cutting corners , driven on the wrong side ? Indeed a couple of nights ago a policeman on motorcycle pulled up at a red light a young I would say underage motorcycle driver stopped beside him then proceeded through the red light with no helmet on as well but What I think was Worse Total Disregard of the Police Officer ? No Respect Whatsoever ????

On 12/11/2018 at 12:19 PM, brling said:

Quite the statistical genius, all those speculations and unsubstantiated facts.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, White Christmas13 said:

Europe was found to have the safest roads with 9.3 deaths per 100,000 population.

What about Australia with only 5.95 ?

yeah but  nobody  lives there do they? I reckon Inuits  will be the best for lack of road  deaths, that or Martians?  

3 hours ago, UglyBug said:

I hope that the Soon to be introduced Points System on Driving Licences Will help to eradicate many of the Faults I see daily by Thai Drivers  but I will Not Hold my breath ? I sit and have a beer at a market and watch Dozens of Vehicles driven through red lights , cutting corners , driven on the wrong side ? Indeed a couple of nights ago a policeman on motorcycle pulled up at a red light a young I would say underage motorcycle driver stopped beside him then proceeded through the red light with no helmet on as well but What I think was Worse Total Disregard of the Police Officer ? No Respect Whatsoever ????

Bet The Cop Never did Anything Though !!

Archived