Thailand’s roads remain some of the deadliest in the world, new report reveals

rooster59

9 hours ago, toenail said:

do not have good roads, four lane highways, or expressways as Thailand has.

Another one that believes that wider roads are the solution for less accidents and less deaths, if Thailand was on the right path will stop copying his road and traffic laws from the US and start to copy form Europe and China.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hobz said:

I am always frightened by the idiots reckless, speeding, impatient braindead drivers doing braindead maneuvers all the time. Helmets will not save them.

Because most of them are driving a car ????

This is the worse news a country like Thailand can get!  the government will think they're actually making progress the 1 percent they are putting into fixing the problem will now increase so the BIB will get out more and filled their pockets daily instead of once a month?????

Nothing will change until the police do their job of enforcing the law!  I see the powers to be have finally linked the police computers to Land Transport.  Wow who knows the Thais may begin finally paying off their traffic fines instead of just ignoring them as they do now. 

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"There is no excuse for inaction. This is a problem with proven solutions," Ghebreyesus said.

So true, so sad,  let's hope the Thai gov get serious and take action getting compulsory school lesson for new drivers started.

Parents should be more responsible too and stop letting under age kids ride motorbikes.

One 10 year old girl killed and a 8 year old boy killed in our village and that's just the ones I know of.   

11 hours ago, fruitman said:

Even the Thai lazy policeman don't know the rules, today i saw one without helmet, another one turning left without indicators used, another one not taking action for misbehaving motobikes, one stopping me because she thought i would go right instead of left (my indicators were blinking)...the list is endless...

When will Thailand get real police on the roads mr Prayuth??

Same soi 3 yesterday. 

Thai plod on bike wearing uniform and cap.

Cap blows off and car ran over his hat.

He was obviously not happy. 

Wonder what the fine is for that?

Running over officers hat, with no head in it....????

1 hour ago, fdimike said:

Nothing will change until the police do their job of enforcing the law!  I see the powers to be have finally linked the police computers to Land Transport.  Wow who knows the Thais may begin finally paying off their traffic fines instead of just ignoring them as they do now. 

Going to need a new desk for that one.

It may reduce the reportedly 800,000 unpaid fines currently outstanding. 

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The report, which was compiled using data from 2016 from 175 countries, estimated that an average of 22,491 people are killed on Thailand's roads each year, while that figure could exceed 24,717 deaths.

Pump your brakes people (????????????).... this is 2016 data, manipulated to sound good. 

WHO reports put Thailand 2017 at 36.2 per 100k, with a total toll of 24,000 plus (66 per day).... and this report notes that the actual figure in 2016 could actually be more than 66 per day ( closer to 68 per day if using the higher of the quoted number 24717)

so.... given this way of looking at it... Thailand still sits at the number one spot, with Liberia ( first on this list) at 35.9 to Thailand’s actual 36.2 

number 1 with a bang! 

26 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Yes that's true ... but then again, more people get killed in road rage there ! :cheesy:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/you-mad-millennial-bastard-road-rage-and-our-hostility-epidemic-20180605-p4zjjh.html

with statistics not being kept, that’s an interesting exclamation.

all data that I see, relates to public opinion surveys, vs actual statistics.... opinion vs fact.

anyway.... wether rage or dangerous driving, drunk or falling asleep, the actual death toll remains the same... and dead is dead.

The irony is is that in a nation of people who do everything slowly and lethargically they become crazy speed maniacs when driving with zero patience and taking huge risks with no regard to the consequences...it's like a split personality disorder they have.   

It amazes me .... Posters complain about the driving here and the road carnage, on how bad it is , but when they see Thailand is not number one they want more deaths on the road to make Thailand number one ?..

The road I take out to the northeast often is being extended as a divided highway more every time I go. It used to be side by side head on traffic all the way. Insane passers too. 

Making all the major arteries out there divided is a huge step in saftey, and they seem to be doing this. 

I wonder how they handle motorbikes on rural highways in other countries. I bet that is a big source of accidents too as they use the emergency lane. 

“WE WAS ROBBED.”

What a cheek, Thailand is the HUB OF ROAD TRAUMA and these other joints are “Johnny Come Letelys” when it comes to Slaughter and Maiming.

Someone obviously got the figures wrong, so Thailand will just have to make a big effort to reclaim is Prized Leadership Status.

4 hours ago, michael walker said:

I agree with DARKSIDEDOG

Thai.s are total idiots on the roads ,it will never change, these humans !

if can call them,!!  cant be educated on commonsense.

Except that in a 4 wheel passenger vehicle in Thailand you have just about the same chance of dying as in the USA. So how do you explain that?

Lawlessness. Uncaring attitudes. Disrespect. Me first attitudes. Poor awareness plus driver skills. Poor policing.. Poor road management.

Amazing Thailand in a negative sense, where life is cheap!

All the above plus much more can be easily resolved but sadly it may not be because of Mind Set, poor education and so on.

A silk purse can't be made from a pigs ear!

And farang should know better!

As farang we should set an example by wearing helmets and acting as most farang would do in their own homelands by being more law abiding.

When in Rome and all that BS is not relevent. Life's are at risk.

7 hours ago, kevvy said:

It amazes me .... Posters complain about the driving here and the road carnage, on how bad it is , but when they see Thailand is not number one they want more deaths on the road to make Thailand number one ?..

....and then there is the greater percentage of Thais that retain decent driving habits and character.

Never receives the attention. 

Things that are repeated often and loud enough create false reality and truth - to the point of stereotypical mythology.

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

Except that in a 4 wheel passenger vehicle in Thailand you have just about the same chance of dying as in the USA. So how do you explain that?

No you don’t...the numbers are skewed by purposeful under reporting. Only deaths at the scene are counted and obviously a motorcycle driver is completely unprotected whereas the protection offered by a car would mean a higher likelihood of dying at hospital from injuries sustained.

That is the reason and if you have spent any time driving here then I think it becomes clear that it is absolutely inconceivable that Thailand and USA (or any other developed country) would have the same traffic fatality rate...common sense and logic tells you that something is wrong with the numbers regarding deaths in cars and the explanation above explains it.

8 hours ago, orchidfan said:

The irony is is that in a nation of people who do everything slowly and lethargically they become crazy speed maniacs when driving with zero patience and taking huge risks with no regard to the consequences...it's like a split personality disorder they have.   

It's the strangest thing for me. They are complete maniacs behind the wheel. Yet when they get to Big C or anywhere else with an escalator, they just stand still and stare downward. 

Archived