Thailand’s roads remain some of the deadliest in the world, new report reveals

rooster59

17 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The article differentiates between Nations and Regions.

Europe is a Region

Australia is a Nation.

Denmark (in Europe) has a rate of 4 per 100.

A few more low numbers for other European Nations brings the average down, making it the safest Region.

Agreed, Australia has 42.88km of roads per 1,000 population, whilst the UK has 6.33km of road per 1,000.

Australia & Canada have some of the lowest traffic density in the World (tiny population numbers), probably has an effect on RTA numbers.

(Canada's a country, Australia's a country and a continent).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The article differentiates between Nations and Regions.

Europe is a Region

Australia is a Nation.

Denmark (in Europe) has a rate of 4 per 100.

A few more low numbers for other European Nations brings the average down, making it the safest Region.

And Thailand is just one country is it not ? 

2 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

I bet that in countries that have overtaken Thailand
some people on the list of victims of road accidents
in fact are victims of crimes and local armed conflicts
so Thailand really leads in the ranking because others are cheating...

How can you  dare suggest that any other country has overtaken Thailand.

Fair suck of the sav(aloy)????

This is because of motorcycles. The way some drive weaving in and out

of traffic. No wonder we have high fatality rates. Then you see

a family of  3 on a motorcycle with their child sandwiched in

between the 2 of them without a helmet on

Until they get strict about these and many other infractions then the death

toll on highways will remain high

What hope is there when the police themselves don't obey the rules of the road. Police officers wearing their peak cap as they ride their motorcycles. Handing out parking tickets as school children ride by, three on a bike, no helmets, no licence and no legal exhaust. Perhaps 20 second TV clips on how to use  and how not to use roundabouts etc might me a start to improve road safety.  

On a single lane road with a hard shoulder near my village, they are resurfacing the road, the whole lot of it hard shoulder and all is rutted in both directions for almost three Ks, which means it is very dangerous for motorbikes, particularly during wet weather.

In normal countries, they would resurface one lane at a time, and certainly not for three Ks. It is downright stupidity, I have come across this regularly during motorbike road trips. Just another case of This is Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, Humpy said:

What hope is there when the police themselves don't obey the rules of the road. Police officers wearing their peak cap as they ride their motorcycles. Handing out parking tickets as school children ride by, three on a bike, no helmets, no licence and no legal exhaust. Perhaps 20 second TV clips on how to use  and how not to use roundabouts etc might me a start to improve road safety.  

What Roundabouts ?   I only know of one in Chiang Mai and they don't have a clue how to use it.   

In the nearly 12 years i have been here i have known seven people who have been killed or severely injured at 'U' Turns, they should all be closed !

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What's this? Thailand has lost the number one spot? Surely someone from Government will deny this soon.

I used to think Thais didn't care for the rules, but over time I have concluded that they just simply don't have the first clue about how to drive. What you need to know to get a license here is laughable, and until that improves this place is always going to remain right up there with the worst fatality rate globally.

Did you originally come here for more rules and regulations or to escape them where you lived.

Boring, same old samo, high speeds, unstable vehicles, driving skills of a 10 year old, common sense zero, I own the road <deleted> everybody else. You can't teach an old dog new tricks! especially when the government is on the other end of the leash.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand’s roads remain  some of the deadliest in the world.

I think that statement would be more honestly written if it read:

Thailand’s roads drivers remain  some of the deadliest in the world.

However I believe the Thai govt has now come up with a solution to the problem because the previous measures of registering as road deaths only those that die at the scene of the accident (not in hospital afterwards) is not in fact working.  So from now on road deaths will only be reported if:

1.  They actually died at the scene of the accident;

2.  They died wearing something blue;

3  They died between Monday to Thursday.

31 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Did you originally come here for more rules and regulations or to escape them where you lived.

Oh..the Thai have plenty of rules and regulations-dozens and dozens of musty volumes.

In theory it is the most overly regulated country in the world.

i came for the temples and to hone my driving skills for Death Race 2020.

Why did you come?

What's this? Thailand has lost the number one spot? Surely someone from Government will deny this soon.
I used to think Thais didn't care for the rules, but over time I have concluded that they just simply don't have the first clue about how to drive. What you need to know to get a license here is laughable, and until that improves this place is always going to remain right up there with the worst fatality rate globally.
Start from training.

Cops are busy scamming tourists

When people ask me for advice about coming to Thailand, what is the 1 MOST important thing: accept that if you're are ever in close proximity to a road regardless of your transport method, EXPECT to die; the rest of your vacation should be easier.  I have accepted the fact my life in Thailand has less value than a bug when it hits the windshield...

The Thai government should institute driver education and driver training free in every high school in Thailand.  Require actual training in order to get a driving license for  motorcycle, car, truck, etc!  Enforcement of the laws would also be helpful!

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

1. Liberia - 35.9

2. Saint Lucia - 35.4

-3. Burundi 34.7

-3. Zimbabwe - 34.7

-4. Democratic Republic of Congo - 33.7

-4. Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) - 33.7

5. Central African Republic - 33.6

6. Thailand - 32.7

7. Burkina Faso - 30.5

8. Namibia - 30.4

9. Cameroon - 30.1

10. Mozambique - 30.1

This list is almost a definition of '3rd-world Tin-Pot'.

Thailand must be very proud of the company it keeps. Any other ASEAN countries in here? Thought not. So much for Thailand being 'superior'.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Everything is wrong with Thai road traffic, many drive without a licence, no driver training, Police turn a blind eye to most traffic infringements, they appear to have no idea themselves, road accident deaths are only recorded as such if the victim dies at the scene, if they die in the ambulance on the way to the hospital or when in the hospital, this is not recorded as a traffic accident fatality, this is probably why Thailand is only 6th and not further up the list. Children who are obviously not licenced are allowed to ride motor scooters sometimes with 4 up, and just waved on by the police, this is very bad on Koh Samui, passengers are allowed to sit and ride in the back of pick ups with no restraining seat belts.

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Apparently, the Thais count road deaths according to who died at the scene of the RTA, and who died later in hospital. The numbers would probably look worse if they didn't.

Not sure if that is actually correct, have heard various explanations on the topic, but you can bet the family jewels that the numbers given out by the government agencies would be misleading and dodgy. 

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I do think that they care, but no one can change the mentality of Thai drivers, no matter what "driving education" they would get.

Wrong !   I think that if the RTP were properly trained and then did their job  strictly instead of the monthly money earning helmet road checks. Then the roads would become safer

Archived