Work Permit issuance in process - Can I start working?

Hello,

My company already submitted the wp issuance request, however, our target for having me started working on 15th December looks unachievable.

Is there an option to start working before the wp gets issued i.e. while it is in process to be issued?

Many thanks

By law no, but I havent heard of one bad report from people who Started months before a wp was handed over.  It seems the made up law by organisations is that you'll be fine.  At your own risk of course.  In the current climate I wouldn't risk it. Actually I stopped working in Thailand a while ago due to all sorts of administrative difficulties, this issue, one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Keep the WP in your possession, it belongs to you not the company. 

When you go to the labour office to sign it pick it up and stick it in your pocket.

Your company/school will tell you they 'must' keep it. ( BS )

Make a copy and sign it and give that to them.

Just make sure you don't lose it.

It must be in your hands when/wherever you are working.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

I will be employed as an expert and BOI need to approve my work position.

The WP issuance has been taking too long and our goal was that I start working on 15th December.

The company hired an agency to deal with this process and this is why I am wondering if I can start working earlier.

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:

The WP office will ask for a deposit to begin the process. Once you have the receipt, you can start to work.

This has always been the case for me for 9 years and is confirmed by the WP office.

The WP and visa extension request will be applied for online and one start one stop is involved. Not sure where I could get a receipt from.

According to the law you need a work permit to work, so if you start working without having one you are acting illegal. Of course your local labour office might not enforce this law, but you never know.

If the head of your local labor office writes a paper for you which clearly states that he allows you to start working while they are processing the work permit for you, it's probably ok, but other than that you should not start to work.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

The WP office will ask for a deposit to begin the process. Once you have the receipt, you can start to work.

This has always been the case for me for 9 years and is confirmed by the WP office.

Legally not correct.

• Like 2

Thaivisa - Home of people shopping for the answer they want to hear!

True: people have started working after applying for their WP since time immemorial. 

Also true: No work is legally permitted unless a valid work permit is in the possession of the (foreign) person working.

Additionally true: The law in Thailand is whatever the official in front of you says it is. Not his colleague at the next desk over... not the hotline in Bangkok... not the ministry website, and certainly not what some guy on TV says.

So, if you want to sleep well at night, follow the most literal and conservative interpretation of the rules and you will most likely be okay. Or, If you have a bit of a gambler personality, pick the answer on TV that most closely meets what you actually want to do and hope for the best.