Another Taxi Story

Nyezhov

So last night at 2am ish I closed myself out of Spasso, and ran around the corner to Mickey Ds at Amarin where I bought some Mojito soak (worked well, feel great this am). Stuffed my slobbering gob, walked outside, raised my manly, yet cultured arm and a taxi pulled up. I said Sawadee khap, Talat Plooo. He said Talat Poooooo? (I dont know why they always do that, if I say Plooooo, they say Pooooo, If I say Poooooo, they say Ploooooo, but whatever). I say Chai, Meter..........

He say OK, and 12 minutes later or so, for 100Baht, I was home. 

Went past Patpong btw, wow there were some slinkies on the street.

I feel deprived, nothing bad happened.

Oh boy, i'll tell you how to do, next Saturday, drink 8 mojitos and eat some old pizza and a stinky papaya salad with 2 cones of ice cream for good measure... Then call a taxi, puke on the floor, and start to shout to the guy with some f. words.

We will be here waiting for you :biggrin:

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

So last night at 2am ish I closed myself out of Spasso, and ran around the corner to Mickey Ds at Amarin where I bought some Mojito soak (worked well, feel great this am). Stuffed my slobbering gob, walked outside, raised my manly, yet cultured arm and a taxi pulled up. I said Sawadee khap, Talat Plooo. He said Talat Poooooo? (I dont know why they always do that, if I say Plooooo, they say Pooooo, If I say Poooooo, they say Ploooooo, but whatever). I say Chai, Meter..........

I have no idea what you just said.

It's almost as confusing as an American with a Russian name supporting an English second division soccer club best known for it's supporters hooliganism. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Well here let me simplify for you. I went to Spasso. I drank some cocktails. I had a McDonalds meal. I got a cab and went home to Talat Plooo. Sometimes its pronounced Talat Poooo. I had no problems.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

It's almost as confusing as an American with a Russian name supporting an English second division soccer club best known for it's supporters hooliganism. 

If you cant understand it, there is no use in explaining it.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Have you checked your pockets to make sure that you didn't leave that bag containing B10,000 in the taxi?

Did you find it then? Give it back.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Way past my bedtime. Very unique - you're the only person I know who could complain about nothing bad happening.

Come up to Chiang Mai, and I'll get you into more mischief than you can handle well before 2 am.

Ill be up there soon and expect you to have Pork Pies and Warm beer ready. I need to take a jaunt up to the White Temple, on my bucket list. Khun Chalermchai is a fabulous artist, I have seen his work down here. Believe it our not, it reminds me of a Gigers use of swirls and symmetry, albeit in a spiritually joyous instead of dark and morbid way. Its interesting that two totally different artists, both culturally and psychologically, express the same technique to different world views.

But I digress. Any Karaoke bars then? 

37 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ill be up there soon and expect you to have Pork Pies and Warm beer ready. I need to take a jaunt up to the White Temple, on my bucket list. Khun Chalermchai is a fabulous artist, I have seen his work down here. Believe it our not, it reminds me of a Gigers use of swirls and symmetry, albeit in a spiritually joyous instead of dark and morbid way. Its interesting that two totally different artists, both culturally and psychologically, express the same technique to different world views.

But I digress. Any Karaoke bars then? 

Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan knocks the White Temple into a cocked hat. A bit off the road on the 118 near Mae Suai. Another interesting one is Baan Dum ( Black House ) just north of Chiang Rai City.

In Chiang Mai close to the turnoff to Samoeng at Mae Rim, we have Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, which would probably be bulldozed if it tried to open in Bangkok. It's a work of art too.

Plenty of karaoke bars on Changkhlan Road. You need a well-stocked wallet for a night out.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan knocks the White Temple into a cocked hat. A bit off the road on the 118 near Mae Suai. Another interesting one is Baan Dum ( Black House ) just north of Chiang Rai City.

In Chiang Mai close to the turnoff to Samoeng at Mae Rim, we have Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, which would probably be bulldozed if it tried to open in Bangkok. It's a work of art too.

Plenty of karaoke bars on Changkhlan Road. You need a well-stocked wallet for a night out.

Yes, using Google, I can now see the cultural milieu you have decided to go to seed in. Im impressed, I thought you would be more of the sheep shearers Hall of Fame type of guy.

Then again, an erotic museum? That must account for your knowledge of Karaoke bars then? A plethora of Lingams I assume?

Well stocked wallet? Of course, what else is there to spend money on! Havent you been following the pertinent topics?

BTW, if money is no object, where does one stay?

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Well roared, lion!

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes, using Google, I can now see the cultural milieu you have decided to go to seed in. Im impressed, I thought you would be more of the sheep shearers Hall of Fame type of guy.

Then again, an erotic museum? That must account for your knowledge of Karaoke bars then? A plethora of Lingams I assume?

Well stocked wallet? Of course, what else is there to spend money on! Havent you been following the pertinent topics?

BTW, if money is no object, where does one stay?

Probably the Shangri-La, Le Meridien or Duangtawan hotels on Changkhlan Road.

The attached photo gives a snippet of information. The erotic garden is run by a slightly dotty Thai lady. For 300 baht, you get the tour, and a cup of tea with cake afterwards. She speaks very good English, so you may struggle.

Actually, Chiang Rai is a better launch point for the really interesting stuff in Northern Thailand. Once one has been to Doi Inthanon, San Kamphaeng Hot Springs, Mon Chaem and the erotic gardens, the rest is ABT.

IMG20170923133801.jpg

Quite telling when someone starts a thread that 'nothing' happened on his taxi journey home.. he wasn't ripped off, he wasn't driven dangerously, the driver knew where he was going etc... 

That the Op feels this is worthy of a dedicated thread underlines the real issue...  even if his thread is a sarcastically satirical slur against those who do have issues with taxi drivers the point he makes by posting this thread has its opposite effect and highlights that the norm is for there to be an issue an issue on almost every journey.... 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

even if his thread is a sarcastically satirical slur against those who do have issues with taxi drivers the point he makes by posting this thread has its opposite effect and highlights that the norm is for there to be an issue an issue on almost every journey.... 

I was slurring that night, thats for sure.

Or that it highlights that the norm is issues are rare. Wonder if there is a stat on that. Hey, lets have a poll!

19 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I was slurring that night, thats for sure.

Or that it highlights that the norm is issues are rare. Wonder if there is a stat on that. Hey, lets have a poll!

I poll isn't a bad idea... about a year ago there was a thread on a similar subject started by someone who never has issues with Taxi's but wondered if it was due to location and time.... 

For example - if you are attempting to take a Taxi from Sukhumvit Soi 11 at 2am you'll get about 5 outright rejections in a row followed by about 5 requests for 300baht (for a 80 baht journey)... 

The person who expects this, doesn't care, and considers it all part of a night out is unlikely to consider it an issue... but it irritates the heck out of me such that I'll order a GrabTaxi 15mins before leaving the area if I'm out there. 

If in the centre of town (Sukhumvit, middle of day or night time) I estimate that I'll flag down about 3-6 taxis in a row before who'll  reject the fare and drive off before I get one who accepts the fare....  Of the Taxi's I do get, I estimate about 50% to drive like cocks...  

However, of the taxi's I do get, about 50% of them are excellent, drive well, have clean taxi's... 

But the issues are definitely area and time specific... At midnight half way down Sukhumvit 71, I've never been rejected and the driver is always ok... 

Perhaps the area's of busy tourist footfall attract the Taxi drivers who are more likely to want to rip off tourists.

People (ThaiVisa readers) always come up with reasons why these issues exists... language issues etc... but my Thai is ok... (Thai's also complain of the same taxi issues)...  

... of course, the real issue is that the Drivers want the easiest traffic free route where he is most likely to get a return fare without waiting, or, wait for a fare where he can easily overcharge a tourist etc....

As you can see... Taking a taxi in Bangkok has become somewhat of a pet-hate... not such that I'd move away or 'go else where' (before someone comments 'if you don't like it go home' !!).... But... its enough to make me think... 'Is this taxi going to be a pain in the arse or will it be a trouble free journey?' each and every time I take a taxi... 

Archived