Tea vs. Coffee

SamSanuk

13 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

No need to imagine. Amazon sells Yorkshire tea for £5.25 for 250g. Double that for a bit more than a pound of tea, and at today's currency conversion rates, it's $13.35 for a pound of Yorkshire tea.

Taylors of Harrogate introduced 'Yorkshire' tea in 1886, and it's currently the UK's second most popular tea, just behind PG Tips (which isn't bad, but I think Yorkshire tea is better!)

PG tips is only top selling tea in UK as the Southern softies dont know what a propa brew is.

Taylors of Harrogate is the only tea in are house (PG & Typhoo only in emergency if lack of Taylors) without checking Im sure the bloke was a Swiss immigrant who set up a small cafe that eventually bought out another company and became Taylors of Harrogate. Is a serious good cuppa but some find it a tad strong for em (Southerners lol)

English coffee? me mam used to use Camp (it was Rank!) no the US has the good coffee alrite ???? 

18 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Taylors of Harrogate is the only tea in are house (PG & Typhoo only in emergency if lack of Taylors) without checking Im sure the bloke was a Swiss immigrant who set up a small cafe that eventually bought out another company and became Taylors of Harrogate.

That would be 'Bettys.' The Taylor brothers opened "Tea Kiosks" in the Yorkshire towns of Harrogate and Ilkley, and in 1962, local tea room competitor 'Betty's' took over 'Taylor's', renamed it 'Taylors of Harrogate' and formed Bettys and Taylors Group, which still to this day, is owned by the family of Fredrick Belmont (who was Swiss,) who founded 'Betty's Tea Rooms'.

I have on hand Thailand Three Horses Brand loose leaf Chinese tea, pleasant but not exceptional, Typhoo Black Tea in the round bags, which I like two bags in my medium teapot, (must measure the capacity some day!), to which I will add additional hot water several times during a "bout", and Lipton Yellow label which I like if brewing a single mug. Pooh on all the anti-Lipton folks, 555.
I also normally keep a few fresh bergamot around in case i feel "Earl Grey-ish", some camomile, and probably a couple of other odds and bobs.
There are some Buddy Dean sachets around which the Lady prefers to American drip style,  which I like best when made from espresso roasted beans from Huay Hom.
 I used to buy 20 kilos of Blue Hills beans from Vietnam and roast them myself, but that is kind of a PITA ( roasting by hand).
In balance I think I am mostly a coffee nerd. HOT water defo a must.

Im not going to get into this Tea Poseurfest run by guys that eat pork pies, but:

1. I drink Sh*t teas (lipton, Tetley) with cream and sugar and brew it strong.

2. Pu'er and other fines teas I brew according to instructions and do them neat.

3. If I can get good brick tea AND its cold outside I love Po Cha. I would never drink that here.

4. A good Russian Caravan tea with Lapsang Souchong is best drunk with some Strawberry Jam in your mouth.

The word Teabag makes me shudder.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:29 PM, vinegarbase said:

It's much cheaper and better if you just buy fresh quality loose leaf tea from China here. $40 lb. or so depending on the type and grade. 

But they are not so good for breakfast I think. Especially with milk.

I might start my day with a 3 in 1 coffee (no point having the real stuff in our house, if you only drink one cup a day) but during the day i drink Tesco finest earl grey (about 1.5 baht a bag). It makes a pot so get 2 cups out of it. With a bit of milk and sugar, cost about 1 baht a cup (Britmantoo was right). Liptons only used in a dire emergency, and costs twice as much a bag and will only make one cup. After a trip to the UK, i will bring back Tetleys, Typhoo or PG Tips, They cost even less than 1 baht a bag ......

Have little use for instant coffee in Thailand as unless you finish a jar quickly, it solidifies, and is expensive. In the UK drink Nescafe Alta Rica.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I might start my day with a 3 in 1 coffee (no point having the real stuff in our house, if you only drink one cup a day) but during the day i drink Tesco finest earl grey (about 1.5 baht a bag). It makes a pot so get 2 cups out of it. With a bit of milk and sugar, cost about 1 baht a cup (Britmantoo was right). Liptons only used in a dire emergency, and costs twice as much a bag and will only make one cup. After a trip to the UK, i will bring back Tetleys, Typhoo or PG Tips, They cost even less than 1 baht a bag ......

Have little use for instant coffee in Thailand as unless you finish a jar quickly, it solidifies, and is expensive. In the UK drink Nescafe Alta Rica.

Have little use for instant coffee in Thailand as unless you finish a jar quickly, it solidifies...

Did you try keeping the instant coffee bottle in the fridge?

Edit

Normally it starts to solidify after half or more is used in the bottle, as then, obviously the top part of the bottle contain air.

9 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

You can buy PG Tips here in Chiang Mai. Rimping has several varieties.

Tops often has at least one variety of PG Tips.

At an exorbitant cost. Anyway, i like Earl Grey. The other finest teas are also pretty good. Don't have quite the same degree of choice in Udon. What surprises me is that Villa Market doesn't stock any of the common British brands of tea, just the 'posh' and expensive ones. As for leaf tea, OK, but bags are so much easier, especially if only want a cup or 2.

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

Have little use for instant coffee in Thailand as unless you finish a jar quickly, it solidifies...

Did you try keeping the instant coffee bottle in the fridge?

Not heard of that one, Mind you, it is hard enough to squeeze a bottle of milk in the fridge, full of Thai leftovers left to rot!

1 minute ago, rickudon said:

Not heard of that one, Mind you, it is hard enough to squeeze a bottle of milk in the fridge, full of Thai leftovers left to rot!

????

Next time try it in the fridge (not the freezer), before it starts to harden, and then of course you must keep it in the fridge until its empty.

More

On 12/9/2018 at 4:28 PM, BritManToo said:

and you can use each bag twice.

WW II and the post war depression finished a long time ago dude.

Let it go.....

Get with the modern times man, one bag per cup.......

.......... for that fuller flavour.........

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

WW II and the post war depression finished a long time ago dude.

Let it go.....

Get with the modern times man, one bag per cup.......

.......... for that fuller flavour.........

Sorry, Brexit means I have to use each bag 2x, if the pound drops any lower make that 3x.

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I think this is a throwback to England in the 1950s.

My grandma would keep a pot on the go all day. Every now and again putting in a spoonful of tea. At the end of the day, the tea was strong. Next morning the tea grouts would be chucked out and fresh put in.

Of course, tea-bags had not yet been invented then. In fact, the first time I ever came across a tea-bag was in Germany in 1975 (July) and we English thought it funny that the Germans couldn't get their heads around loose tea.

But returning to the quoted post: could you be more specific on "make a pot". What tea-bag do you use ChakaKhan, and how many CM3 is the pot (roughly), how long do you leave the bag in and do you use sugar (white, brown or black) or honey or even molasses. Do you even sweeten it at all? Have you ever tried putting the bag in cold water and boiling it up that way? Is the pot porcelain or metal or glass even.

When I left home and made my way in the world I stayed at digs up north. For brekkies they did porage,,,,, but put in salt!!! I kik you not. Absolutely horrid. Can still taste that first mouthful.

What about adding ginger in your tea; or ginseng? I find that a cuppa with added ginger or/and ginseng (once in the evening) works wonders in the love department.

Sitting in bed having a ginger tea with honey added myself.....I was raised on tea growing up and even smelling the teas today my mother gave me puts me right back there! Sidenote I met a super super cute chinese exchange student at CMU the other day and she gave me some loose Bi Lou Chun green tea!

Heading home sadly this week where its snowing so a pot of tea daily and all day...Im not too high tech nut it used to be my automatic coffee machine with water and chuck a tea bag in there for a few minutes..I enjoy bigelow jasmine green or twinings...maybe Darjeeling or cucumber white...ceylon...white..green ..black as i use one tea bag and usually get about 2-3 mugs...i use organic cane sugar and not over brew--bitter.

I only like my beer like my women  cold n bitter!    Or if I drank coffee   hot--black n strong!!  555

prefer glass to brew...have also made sun tea..cold water and brew in sun...also homemade sweet tea

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Sitting in bed having a ginger tea with honey added myself.....I was raised on tea growing up and even smelling the teas today my mother gave me puts me right back there! Sidenote I met a super super cute chinese exchange student at CMU the other day and she gave me some loose Bi Lou Chun green tea!

Heading home sadly this week where its snowing so a pot of tea daily and all day...Im not too high tech nut it used to be my automatic coffee machine with water and chuck a tea bag in there for a few minutes..I enjoy bigelow jasmine green or twinings...maybe Darjeeling or cucumber white...ceylon...white..green ..black as i use one tea bag and usually get about 2-3 mugs...i use organic cane sugar and not over brew--bitter.

I only like my beer like my women  cold n bitter!    Or if I drank coffee   hot--black n strong!!  555

prefer glass to brew...have also made sun tea..cold water and brew in sun...also homemade sweet tea

Great stuff.

You have certainly been around the block on the tea wagon bro'.

Long may it continue.

Interesting comments, now I know I drink crap tea I’ll have to try loose leaf. I stock up on Twinnings for B200 a pack of 100 bags when I visit Australia.

I have seen small metal filters which may be used for making a single cup of tea, have to check them out, as making a pot is too much.

Ahh forgot as someone else has touched on, even though I drink Taylors Yorkshire Tea I do like a cup of Earl Grey now and then (as I sip the perfumed brew it takes me to far away places lol) obviously only when I am in dark damp blighty...

My ol fella would never touch tea bags (all the crap o'th floor - muck he said) Pint mug 3 teaspoons PG tips straight in and 4 sugars lol... only stuff he drank (teetotaller)

6 hours ago, Lokie said:

Ahh forgot as someone else has touched on, even though I drink Taylors Yorkshire Tea I do like a cup of Earl Grey now and then (as I sip the perfumed brew it takes me to far away places lol) obviously only when I am in dark damp blighty...

My ol fella would never touch tea bags (all the crap o'th floor - muck he said) Pint mug 3 teaspoons PG tips straight in and 4 sugars lol... only stuff he drank (teetotaller)

Rimping 'used' to sell Yorkshire tea and Yorkshire Gold back in the day. Actually, Rimping carried Taylors, Jacksons, and even several nice Darjeelings, but dropped them all about 15 years ago.  These days, if you want quality teas from a supermarket, a few can be found in Villa Market or Gourmet Market in Bangkok.  Right now Rimping is pushing a boutique 'Tea Book' for big bucks for small, mediocre tea.

Archived