BANGKOK 24 January 2019 11:12
JimmyJ

If a medical emergency in CM, which hospital would you want to be taken to if insured and if not insured?

If insured then cost is not important and one would want the best quality/best doctors/best emergency room.

And if not insured, or if insured but pre-existing so not covered, which one if cost vs. quality becomes an important issue?

I had a m'bike crash out near Chiang Dao and badly smashed my lower leg, 5 fractures and bone out through the skin. The pick-up rescue truck loaded me up and I asked to be taken to the Nakhornping hospital outside of C Mai. They took me to Chiang Dao because they get a payment. After an hour they suggested I needed the facility of an operating hospital. So first off, where you hope to be sent is not necessarily where you end up.

By the time I got to the C Mai hospital it was 3 hours after my crash, 38C and the pain was considerable. I was left on a trolley for a couple of hours, then x-rayed again and then left to wait some more. Because I had a coffee at 7.45 a.m. I was told there had to be a 8 hour delay before surgery. I was not even trusted to rinse my mouth with water for all that time. Almost 12 hours after the crash I had an operation and was finally put in a bed on the ward. Who knows if it was because of this delay but 4 days later I had a raging infection, a bright pink leg. I did mention to my doctor that if a VIP had been brought in after a crash would they be made to wait 8 hours without a drink. He declined to answer. I think its fair to suggest that after this experience the Nakhornping would not be my choice again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I think its fair to suggest that after this experience the Nakhornping would not be my choice again. 

I always prefer the NakornPing too.

Don't understand the infection as they always give antibiotics after a road accident.

As for the delay, same in the UK after I broke my arm, 8hrs wait after consuming. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't understand the infection as they always give antibiotics after a road accident.

You get the infection very quick. Then they give you antibiotics and it will take days for the medicine to win the fight against the infection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes but have you checked if your health insurance company will cover that hospital?

I ask because we have good health insurance for my Thai son, his Thai wife and 3 kids with a well recognized health insurer operates all over Asia, biggest and most highly rated in Japan, their is one hospital in CM they will not reimburse to, and they ensure policy holders know this, guess which hospital it is? 

Which health insurance company is that?

I drive very carefully here. Of course, I won't be able to do much about a stroke except hope they take me to Maharaj.

For everything else, it's a plane ticket to Australia with free and prompt treatment using private health cover.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Which health insurance company is that?

Please check your Private Messages.

• Like 1

3 years ago, broken leg, referred to McCormick. They wanted to operate and insert pin for120,000 bt. Wife, a nurse, said no, so transferred to Nokornping. Young surgeon there said it was a clean break, no movement so in a caste. 30,000 bt covered by motorbike insurance. Very professioal in all aspects, so Nokornping for me.

• Like 2