An Annoyance for Me, What About You

Gonzo the Face

14 hours ago, amexpat said:

How about offering free penis enlargement surgery to get the boys to give up their noisy bikes? 

How about offering to cut it off with a blunt, rusty knife if they don't?

On 12/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, Crossy said:

You can't beat the sound of a big, multi-cylinder bike on a good pipe, not too loud mind. But those 125cc squeak-boxes... argh.

We're pretty lucky being a bit off the beaten track so the boy racers don't visit. We do get the occasional 3AM Schumacher wannbe, often followed by screeching tyres and a crump as the local bus-stop gets modified once again. The unsignposted 90o left-hander strikes again. Nobody's been killed or badly hurt recently but it's really only a matter of time.

As to the thump-and-squeak "music"...

I’ve got a Duc Streetfighter 848 and to me there’s no better sound at 6000rpm through Termi pipes, it’s a religious experience.

I just got it tested at 106db which to me is reasonable but to some may be borderline abnoxious. I try to keep it sedate early/late around residential areas 

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

When I was a kid – admit, it was long time ago – we would mount a piece of cardboard with a pair of clothespins to the pushbike wheel to make it sound like a motor, preferably noisy motor like grown up boy's motorbikes.

Today kids dont need to invent their own homemade toy, it's an industri and can be ordered online, and I find the same inventions already made up, but way more noisy now with an exhaust pipe amplification...

540144.jpeg

540142.jpeg

I think it's the same when you grow up, it has to be more noisy now than it was a generation or two before...????

Remember:
The difference between men and boys

is the price of their toys

And by the way, I tried to head up in the quiet mountain region on the island I live, to get away from roads and the multi-decibel boom-(cannot repeat in Thailand) car-stereo; unfortunately it didn't make much of a change...☹️

506083900_065)Tannoy-horse-1ecopy.jpg.a836921651ec48146d0ae1bb588fa108.jpg

Over the years I learned, that Thais seem to like noise – there actually is a 1,000 baht fine available by law if a motorbike is noisy, but there seem to be a lot of fines available, but not commonly used – however, it's not my country, so I also learned over the years to accept wannabe-motorbikes (even they still sometimes irritates me) and loud boom-(cannot repeat in Thailand) car-stereo...????

I got pulled by a local copper and once I got closer he exclaimed ‘ooh Ducati, very nice!’ and waved me through.

The next 2 or 3 times I was just waved through with no stopping. 

As noted in several posts, developed country or developing, it makes no difference. In the developed country where I live, base boom boxes, super loud exhausts on anything that burns petrol is commonplace. The police really don't bother much but will act on a specific complaint.

Low-lifes who do not respect the rights of others are not exclusive to Thailand.

51 minutes ago, neeray said:

Low-lifes who do not respect the rights of others are not exclusive to Thailand.

Gotta be more specific. 

Do you mean the lowlifes who would deny others the joy and freedom of making noise, or the lowlifes who make the noise that irritates them?

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Do you mean the lowlifes who would deny others the joy and freedom of making noise,

Do you mean the joy and freedom of waking up babies, disturbing the restorative rest of the sick and elderly, interrupting conversations and rituals, etc?  No not lowlifes - selfish, emotionally needy, immature a-holes. 

to get some perspective... things are a lot better now than they were in the early 2000s when there was trend of stripping back motorcycles to their most basic parts and making as much noise as possible. so... while things could be better, they have been an awful lot worse.

Me?  I dislike more the massive LED signboards elevated above intersection which blast out the visual pollution 16 hrs a day.

Just ask the folks who live near MAYA mall if their life intruded by adverts, all the f***ing time, and wrecking the value of their condo. Seems obvious that city laws are either not in place or not enforced as the sign guys have big money, which leads to govt corruption; as always in thailand.

The bad motorcycle boys would be hard to catch for sure if pursued but the sign is static and owner fully known.

1 minute ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Why did TV decide to eliminate the post number on each post?  Now if you want to make reference to a specific post , to find it you need to go thru every post .  Again why the elimination?

Temp issue tied in with current tech problems. It will be resumed when current issue is resolved.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, BritManToo said:

You live on one of the main roads in and out of town, with bars and restaurants and live music all around.

What do you expect?

I honestly thought my area would be more noisy, but other than the insane rooster that thinks dawn is 24/7, its really quiet.

I sort of miss sirens, blaring rap music and straight piped Harleys

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

Me?  I dislike more the massive LED signboards elevated above intersection which blast out the visual pollution 16 hrs a day.

Just ask the folks who live near MAYA mall if their life intruded by adverts, all the f***ing time, and wrecking the value of their condo. Seems obvious that city laws are either not in place or not enforced as the sign guys have big money, which leads to govt corruption; as always in thailand.

The bad motorcycle boys would be hard to catch for sure if pursued but the sign is static and owner fully known.

After spending the most of my early life in advertising and marketing I would consider the usage of these LED sites to be the least effective form of advertising ever created.Does anyone really know what the message/product is or cares ?

They are also a major distraction and eyesore.No doubt the owners are getting a good return on their investment.

To think that CM was considering trying to achieve "Heritage" status is laughable and that's before you get to the proliferation of 7/11's every few metres and the hideous re construction of Thepae Gate.

But back on topic Thai's seem oblivious to noise.Live in a village or close to where the local "head man' gets on the speakers at 5am and suffers verbal diarrhoea for an a hour is in the same street as the motor bikes hoons.Its not going to go away.

3M produce very effective ear plugs in fact I just purchased some from Pharmas Choice for 99 b to block out my neighbours 'noise'

This is a subject near, but not dear, to my heart.  Everything about Thailand seems to be at a high volume e.g. my wife wanders around with her tablet on listening sometimes to it spew out mindless drivel but more often it sits around annoying the hell out of me. Televisions throughout Thailand are left turned on at maximum volume with no-one watching them or if there is someone there they are asleep. Motorcycles and stereos have already been mentioned but the UK has similar issues there.  The other Thai craze is the open karaoke bars everywhere which make your teeth vibrate and assault your ears with the dire screeching of drunk vocalists.

All of this and yet when someone passes away instead of the monks peacefully chanting what do they do but let off the LOUDEST chinese cracker they can get their hands on at 05:00 in the morning to be sure and wake the rest of us up !   I've heard of going out with a bang but I didn't realize in Thailand they take that literally. 

17 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’ve got a Duc Streetfighter 848 and to me there’s no better sound at 6000rpm through Termi pipes, it’s a religious experience.

I just got it tested at 106db which to me is reasonable but to some may be borderline abnoxious. I try to keep it sedate early/late around residential areas 

Reasonable?... 

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 2.42.08 AM.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, Gonzo the Face said:

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but these problems just seem to be getting worse.

I'm getting old too, but the problem is definitely getting worse. Trouble is the thugs just don't care about other people as they know few are willing to stand up to them.

Seems in our brave new world, good manners and civility are a forgotten quality.

I think most sane people feel the same, but just don’t mention it. There was some promotion thing going on in Airport mall directly outside AIS shop and the idiot mc was playing ear splitting noise and screaming into the mic. My girl mentioned it to the AIS lady who was serving us and she sighed and said “lucky for you, I have to put up with this for my whole shift.”

Archived