BANGKOK 24 January 2019 12:00
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Second batch of New Year gifts for low-income people

By THE NATION

43d4f1c0e9001b4259b48a91c073d267.jpeg

Low-income earners with state welfare cards line up yesterday at ATMs outside a bank in Chai Nat province, ready to withdraw the Bt500 to which they are each entitled.

THE GOVERNMENT yesterday transferred a second batch of funds into the bank accounts of another 4.2 million state-welfare cardholders who are entitled to Bt500 each as part of the Bt5.5-billion New Year gift programme for Thailand’s 11.1 million low-income earners.

088aa0a2fb0be1703910cda1544a347b.jpeg

People whose ID card numbers start with 31, 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 were able to withdraw the cash from Krungthai Bank’s ATM machines yesterday. 

On Saturday, the government transferred funds into the accounts of the first batch of 4 million cardholders, whose ID cards begin with the numbers 32, 33 and 34. 

Today, the last batch of 2.9 million cardholders, whose ID numbers start with 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8, will get their money.

Though the recipients were grateful for the extra Bt500, critics have lambasted the government for the handout, which they see as an attempt to win popular support ahead of the February 24 general elections. 

In the southern province of Songkhla, many people were seen queuing up in front of Krungthai ATM machines to get their money, with some saying that even though Bt500 is not much, it can go a long way for poor people. 

In Yala province, there were long queues of mostly senior citizens who had failed to access their “gift” earlier yesterday. In the Northeast province of Nakhon Ratchasima, few withdrew their gift because they did not know that the money had been transferred in line with their ID numbers. 

In Udon Thani, many young people were seen helping senior citizens make ATM withdrawals, as cardholders had to key in their ID number to get a code before withdrawing the funds.

Apart from this Bt5.5-billion handout programme, the government is also offering limited electricity and tap water subsidies to welfare cardholders whose income is less than Bt8,333 per month or less than Bt100,000 per year. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30360099

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-10

is that enough to be able to say Thailand is no longer the worst country in the world for income inequality?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh no,another week of my branch of krung Thai bank packed out,i have to go in and transfer money final payment to my builder,for my pool, [ unusable at present as it is full again of burnt sugarcane] maybe i will wait until next week.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Translated: Second batch of populist pre-election handout for low-income people.

In the meantime, word to other parties.  "You do this it is 'Against The Law' and your party will be disbanded." Also, "Don't even think about campaigning until Jan 2nd.  We're graciously giving you eight weeks to campaign - and without handouts to the people that is.  Handing freebies out to the middle and lower class is an activity reserved for the junta!  Remember that or be disbanded!"

With all this money,free Internet etc,etc, the poor people 

better vote for the PM or he will be very angry,the sting

in the tail ,might be they take all the gifts and vote for 

who they want.

regards worgeordie

45 minutes ago, connda said:

Translated: Second batch of populist pre-election handout for low-income people.

In the meantime, word to other parties.  "You do this it is 'Against The Law' and your party will be disbanded." Also, "Don't even think about campaigning until Jan 2nd.  We're graciously giving you eight weeks to campaign - and without handouts to the people that is.  Handing freebies out to the middle and lower class is an activity reserved for the junta!  Remember that or be disbanded!"

Yes but according to most posters here votes can't be bought and the people will vote for who they prefer anyway. At least that was always said when vote buying came up. I still believe that popular policies and vote buying work. I will see if I was right in the election, if pro junta parties did well then we know it worked.  If the other parties make landslide victories over the junta then it did not.

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

if pro junta parties did well then we know it worked.

Or they paid the guys counting the votes.

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but according to most posters here votes can't be bought and the people will vote for who they prefer anyway. At least that was always said when vote buying came up. I still believe that popular policies and vote buying work. I will see if I was right in the election, if pro junta parties did well then we know it worked.  If the other parties make landslide victories over the junta then it did not.

Whatever happend to "sustainable economic policies" Rob ? But it won't work.

That's why the latest stunt is removing party logos and names from the ballots, courtesy of Prayuth, the PM meddling with every little detail of the upcomming election !

Meanwhile, apart from the Junta handing out tax payer money without a valid mandate, none of the other political parties are allowed to campaign. Well all other parties except the pro Junta party, which is in campaigning mode already. 

Free and fair elections ? Of course not. Wouldn't it be hillarious if they still don't win ?

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or they paid the guys counting the votes.

Yea right.. sorry I don't believe in vote fraud like that. Too many layers to bribe too many checks. If it happens it could not stay secret. There would be too many people involved, just one has to open its mouth and the whole card house tumbles down. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea right.. sorry I don't believe in vote fraud like that. Too many layers to bribe too many checks.

You're wrong that's where vote fraud always happens in the western world.

And it's very easy to do, almost no checks in the vote counting rooms.