Second batch of New Year gifts for low-income people

webfact

By THE NATION

43d4f1c0e9001b4259b48a91c073d267.jpeg

Low-income earners with state welfare cards line up yesterday at ATMs outside a bank in Chai Nat province, ready to withdraw the Bt500 to which they are each entitled.

THE GOVERNMENT yesterday transferred a second batch of funds into the bank accounts of another 4.2 million state-welfare cardholders who are entitled to Bt500 each as part of the Bt5.5-billion New Year gift programme for Thailand’s 11.1 million low-income earners.

088aa0a2fb0be1703910cda1544a347b.jpeg

People whose ID card numbers start with 31, 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 were able to withdraw the cash from Krungthai Bank’s ATM machines yesterday. 

On Saturday, the government transferred funds into the accounts of the first batch of 4 million cardholders, whose ID cards begin with the numbers 32, 33 and 34. 

Today, the last batch of 2.9 million cardholders, whose ID numbers start with 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8, will get their money.

Though the recipients were grateful for the extra Bt500, critics have lambasted the government for the handout, which they see as an attempt to win popular support ahead of the February 24 general elections. 

In the southern province of Songkhla, many people were seen queuing up in front of Krungthai ATM machines to get their money, with some saying that even though Bt500 is not much, it can go a long way for poor people. 

In Yala province, there were long queues of mostly senior citizens who had failed to access their “gift” earlier yesterday. In the Northeast province of Nakhon Ratchasima, few withdrew their gift because they did not know that the money had been transferred in line with their ID numbers. 

In Udon Thani, many young people were seen helping senior citizens make ATM withdrawals, as cardholders had to key in their ID number to get a code before withdrawing the funds.

Apart from this Bt5.5-billion handout programme, the government is also offering limited electricity and tap water subsidies to welfare cardholders whose income is less than Bt8,333 per month or less than Bt100,000 per year. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30360099

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-10

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Translated: Second batch of populist pre-election handout for low-income people.

In the meantime, word to other parties.  "You do this it is 'Against The Law' and your party will be disbanded." Also, "Don't even think about campaigning until Jan 2nd.  We're graciously giving you eight weeks to campaign - and without handouts to the people that is.  Handing freebies out to the middle and lower class is an activity reserved for the junta!  Remember that or be disbanded!"

45 minutes ago, connda said:

Translated: Second batch of populist pre-election handout for low-income people.

In the meantime, word to other parties.  "You do this it is 'Against The Law' and your party will be disbanded." Also, "Don't even think about campaigning until Jan 2nd.  We're graciously giving you eight weeks to campaign - and without handouts to the people that is.  Handing freebies out to the middle and lower class is an activity reserved for the junta!  Remember that or be disbanded!"

Yes but according to most posters here votes can't be bought and the people will vote for who they prefer anyway. At least that was always said when vote buying came up. I still believe that popular policies and vote buying work. I will see if I was right in the election, if pro junta parties did well then we know it worked.  If the other parties make landslide victories over the junta then it did not.

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but according to most posters here votes can't be bought and the people will vote for who they prefer anyway. At least that was always said when vote buying came up. I still believe that popular policies and vote buying work. I will see if I was right in the election, if pro junta parties did well then we know it worked.  If the other parties make landslide victories over the junta then it did not.

Whatever happend to "sustainable economic policies" Rob ? But it won't work.

That's why the latest stunt is removing party logos and names from the ballots, courtesy of Prayuth, the PM meddling with every little detail of the upcomming election !

Meanwhile, apart from the Junta handing out tax payer money without a valid mandate, none of the other political parties are allowed to campaign. Well all other parties except the pro Junta party, which is in campaigning mode already. 

Free and fair elections ? Of course not. Wouldn't it be hillarious if they still don't win ?

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or they paid the guys counting the votes.

Yea right.. sorry I don't believe in vote fraud like that. Too many layers to bribe too many checks. If it happens it could not stay secret. There would be too many people involved, just one has to open its mouth and the whole card house tumbles down. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea right.. sorry I don't believe in vote fraud like that. Too many layers to bribe too many checks.

You're wrong that's where vote fraud always happens in the western world.

And it's very easy to do, almost no checks in the vote counting rooms.

7 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Whatever happend to "sustainable economic policies" Rob ? But it won't work.

That's why the latest stunt is removing party logos and names from the ballots, courtesy of Prayuth, the PM meddling with every little detail of the upcomming election !

Meanwhile, apart from the Junta handing out tax payer money without a valid mandate, none of the other political parties are allowed to campaign. Well all other parties except the pro Junta party, which is in campaigning mode already. 

Free and fair elections ? Of course not. Wouldn't it be hillarious if they still don't win ?

I don't agree with these policies was only commenting on the fact that others always said they did not work.

Removing the party logo is 100% cheating hoping that the defectors keep the people voting for them even though they switched sides hoping if logos are gone the people dont know.

I would not say hilarious because it would show that people are NOT persuaded by money and gifts. I would say that it then shows that people really hate the junta. Now if they win on the other hand then people only care about the gifts they get. I like to see how it ends, real curious about it.

The whole senate thing gives the junta a huge unfair advantage in selecting a PM. Still I am really curious how the votes go. 

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't agree with these policies was only commenting on the fact that others always said they did not work.

Removing the party logo is 100% cheating hoping that the defectors keep the people voting for them even though they switched sides hoping if logos are gone the people dont know.

I would not say hilarious because it would show that people are NOT persuaded by money and gifts. I would say that it then shows that people really hate the junta. Now if they win on the other hand then people only care about the gifts they get. I like to see how it ends, real curious about it.

The whole senate thing gives the junta a huge unfair advantage in selecting a PM. Still I am really curious how the votes go. 

supposedly only if the lower house fails to reach an agreement on the PM, or in other words, if a PM candidate fails to get 251 MP's in the pocket. Do not take my word for it, for all we know, they have now changed it, so the senate can vote for a PM right off the bat, which means Prayuth would only need 126 MP's to become PM. 

With all the tricks being employed right now, those elections are already a huge farce. Despite the fact that the fully appointed senate, and the 20 year roadmap among others, are set to severly limit what any elected government can really do. Unless of course Prayuth manages to become PM, in which case the senate will be a welcome weapon to Ensure his agenda is pushed through. 

6 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

supposedly only if the lower house fails to reach an agreement on the PM, or in other words, if a PM candidate fails to get 251 PM's in the pocket. Do not take my word for it, for all we know, they have now changed it, so the senate can vote for a PM right off the bat, which means Prayuth would only need 126 PM's to become PM. 

With all the tricks being employed right now, those elections are already a huge farce. Despite the fact that the fully appointed senate, and the 20 year roadmap among others, are set to severly limit what any elected government can really do. Unless of course Prayuth manages to become PM, in which case the senate will be a welcome weapon to Ensure his agenda is pushed through. 

I read that too about the 126 PM's to become PM and that is of course a total sham. 

As for the 20 year roadmap, i disagree with it on one exception. Water management as it gets neglected all the time and the flooding are always there. Projects get approved, then cancelled by new governments. That is just crazy. I am probably sensitive about it as I was once affected.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I read that too about the 126 PM's to become PM and that is of course a total sham. 

As for the 20 year roadmap, i disagree with it on one exception. Water management as it gets neglected all the time and the flooding are always there. Projects get approved, then cancelled by new governments. That is just crazy. I am probably sensitive about it as I was once affected.

We already discussed that, even water management should not be fixed for 20 years, things change, governments should be allowed to change parameters when the situation calls for it. The best evidence that such a roadmap isn't needed is our home country. 

the outsider PM concept (which is brand new) is introduced specifically for Prayuth, whose name will not be on the ballot, as the 90 day deadline has already passed. No Thai can actually vote for Prayuth. When this concept was "approved" in the sham referendum, the outsider PM route was only possible IF the lower house would fail to reach an agreement on the PM (251 MP's). But now I am not so sure, as I read several articles suggesting, this route is available regardless of the lower house reaching an agreement. If that IS the case, Prayuth only needs to find 126 MP's, as the 250 senators (that are all appointed by the NCPO) would give him 376 votes, which is a majority. 

Democracy this is not. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would say your wrong as I actually have. Not in Thailand though. 

I think you will find that if rigging is an option, it is not actually done in the individual voting rooms. It will be done on a higher level, where there are less people and more control. 

I fail to see how the Junta can provide a PM without rigging the election. 

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

We already discussed that, even water management should not be fixed for 20 years, things change, governments should be allowed to change parameters when the situation calls for it. The best evidence that such a roadmap isn't needed is our home country. 

the outsider PM concept (which is brand new) is introduced specifically for Prayuth, whose name will not be on the ballot, as the 90 day deadline has already passed. No Thai can actually vote for Prayuth. When this concept was "approved" in the sham referendum, the outsider PM route was only possible IF the lower house would fail to reach an agreement on the PM (251 MP's). But now I am not so sure, as I read several articles suggesting, this route is available regardless of the lower house reaching an agreement. If that IS the case, Prayuth only needs to find 126 MP's, as the 250 senators (that are all appointed by the NCPO) would give him 376 votes, which is a majority. 

Democracy this is not. 

Sorry Sjaak,

I disagree especially on watermanagement, we have seen little to no improvement because successive governments have cancelled plans of previous ones and nothing happened. If you think that is good be my guest but those who have been flooded (like me) have other ideas about it.

Yes at first it seemed the way you described and later i also read the articles you stated and that is not how it was presented. Its a total sham of course if the senate can vote too. Because even if an party does get a coalition with a majority they could still not supply a PM. 

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I think you will find that if rigging is an option, it is not actually done in the individual voting rooms. It will be done on a higher level, where there are less people and more control. 

I fail to see how the Junta can provide a PM without rigging the election. 

Less people still leaves a quite large pool, i doubt it will be done too risky you only need one whisleblower and it all comes doen. If there were 3 people involved sure but i doubt the number is that low. Besides there are checks because voting stations count too and it should at least match what comes out. 

I think they cheated enough and wont burn their fingers on this.

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

Less people still leaves a quite large pool, i doubt it will be done too risky you only need one whisleblower and it all comes doen. If there were 3 people involved sure but i doubt the number is that low. Besides there are checks because voting stations count too and it should at least match what comes out. 

I think they cheated enough and wont burn their fingers on this.

Hmm, maybe, maybe not. Still waiting for PTP to be disbanded. If they don't, they will have to rig, or admit defeat. 

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sorry Sjaak,

I disagree especially on watermanagement, we have seen little to no improvement because successive governments have cancelled plans of previous ones and nothing happened. If you think that is good be my guest but those who have been flooded (like me) have other ideas about it.

Yes at first it seemed the way you described and later i also read the articles you stated and that is not how it was presented. Its a total sham of course if the senate can vote too. Because even if an party does get a coalition with a majority they could still not supply a PM. 

You see little or no improvement, because it isn't high on the priority list. As long as Bangkok stays relatively dry, the powers at be will be happy. Thailand is in no position to structurally fix the problem, unless of course they stop spending money on high speed rail links, to cities way out of Bangkok, which will probably be never be operated within healthy margins. 

Here in Thailand, it is not a priority. Pray tell, is there anything regarding water management in the roadmap ? I think the roadmap is just whatever the elite think of at the time, nothing more and nothing less. Watermanagement will not be a concern for them, they don't live out in the sticks. 

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

You see little or no improvement, because it isn't high on the priority list. As long as Bangkok stays relatively dry, the powers at be will be happy. Thailand is in no position to structurally fix the problem, unless of course they stop spending money on high speed rail links, to cities way out of Bangkok, which will probably be never be operated within healthy margins. 

Here in Thailand, it is not a priority. Pray tell, is there anything regarding water management in the roadmap ? I think the roadmap is just whatever the elite think of at the time, nothing more and nothing less. Watermanagement will not be a concern for them, they don't live out in the sticks. 

Actually im in the north of BKK and (Banyai Nothaburi) only ever flooded during 2011 but it is something that keeps playing in my mind every wet season. Cant call it out in the sticks anymore as they now got a huge central and an IKEA there. But last thing i read there was something about water management in the roadmap. 

Unlike you I dont see it as a struggle between elite and not elite as I havent seen any non elite in the parties that are available. I just see it as a struggle between people who want to steal from the treasury and throw some scraps to the public. 

Archived