Toxic fumes in engine room of boat restaurant kill 2

webfact

Toxic fumes in engine room of boat restaurant kill 2

By Theerawat Thongma, 
Dethawee Theewarangkool 
The Nation

6d262e2083c53f3b739631bf176d72f7.jpeg

Two workers died while three became seriously ill after allegedly inhaling toxic fumes as they cleaned a boat restaurant’s engine room on Sunday.

ff1603b402af4b87ec0b55b2d9a554c4.jpeg

The vessel was anchored at a pier off Chon Buri province. 

Upon learning about the incident at 11.30am, Muang Pattaya precinct superintendent Pol Colonel Apichai Krobphetch led a rescue team to help the five workers who had reportedly passed out while cleaning the engine room of the Nava Chakkapat. It is believed they succumbed to toxic fumes, as the ventilation system had not been turned on. Upon arrival, the officials found one worker dead at the scene, and another succumbed while being rushed to hospital, police said.

f406d814ae8cdee94a027434b1c81527.jpeg

The names of the victims were not released as of press time. 

Police are investigating the incident to determine the cause of death before they proceed with further legal action.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360077

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-10

Sadly they were likely naively ignorant to the risks of enclosed space entry....

The owners of the boat failed to protect its workers welfare and poor innocent workers died as a result - something which happens all too often in developing an unregulated countries.... reading news such as this so regularly is tragic in the extreme. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly they were likely naively ignorant to the risks of enclosed space entry....

Yes it is actually a complex matter where H&S is concerned. Nearly lost someone on a site I worked due to CO2 resting down in a tunnel. 

Saddly these are the, ''expendable crew members'' , as in the old Star Trek's when Jim and Spock beamed down, with the'' 3rd guy ''..we all knew his fate...Taking one for the team we call it now..

This problem is not unique to Thailand. No fumes or smoke should be considered safe now. In the past, maybe ok but way too many chemicals are used to make things. I had a friend in USA who simply was burning some leaves but there was other things in the pile...like a plastic bottle. Avoid all smells...of course, the stuff that does not smell will get you also.  

2 hours ago, ebean001 said:

This problem is not unique to Thailand. No fumes or smoke should be considered safe now. In the past, maybe ok but way too many chemicals are used to make things. I had a friend in USA who simply was burning some leaves but there was other things in the pile...like a plastic bottle. Avoid all smells...of course, the stuff that does not smell will get you also.  

Interesting, but the burning plastic bottle fumes did what?

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The owners of the boat failed to protect its workers welfare and poor innocent workers died as a result - something which happens all too often in developing an unregulated countries.... reading news such as this so regularly is tragic in the extreme. 

And it happens in regulated and developed countries also 

And many times more as you think.

2 hours ago, ebean001 said:

Nobody on this thread has said it is unique to Thailand, but this is a Thai forum. now do you get it ?

5 workers rescued on a "licenced" marine vessel with a public restaurant, not one of them trained in, or aware of the potential dangers of "confined space" or CO.   Oh well, we're supposed to just smile....not bash

I wonder what happened .back in the late 70s I was working as a fitter we had 5 co workers in a stainless steel tank taking lunch one of the guys left his tig  torch on with the gas’s valve open the argon displaced all the oxygen we found them at the end of the shift we lost all 5 guys maybe something similar happened no telltale smell to warn them 

The exhaust gases at a certain concentration are deadly, some have used it to commit suicide by installing a pipe from the exhaust's muffler inside the car to inhale the gas, so it is a very well known phenomenon with the exhaust gases of the engines. Almost odourless. But if the engine room of the boat was full of gas that's abnormal, even if the ventilation system had not been turned on. This is due to a lack of maintenance and probably a leak to the escape manifold, with the vibrations that happen easily.

Many years ago in the 1970s when I was in the RAF working deep strips on aircraft, the engine guys used to have to replace internal wing fuel tanks.

The tanks were defuelled and the remainder siphoned and mopped dry, then left overnight.

The next day one guy was inside the tank wearing full safety kit and a gas mask. He was secure tied to a rope with 2 guys on the outside, one with a mask to go and get him if necessary, The other to haul him out, plus there was compressed air blown into the tank all the time.

We never lost a man in the 4 years I was stationed there.

When my mate was the inside tank man and went home for lunch his wife made him undress outside, shower and put clean clothes on before letting him in to eat.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Criminal negligence at least. RAMS should be minimum requirement but never is in Asia.

This happens in building too in Thailand. The building managers turn off the ventilation and ac to save money. 

Cleaners often have to use dangerous chemicals during these times and when this issue is raised. If your the contractors manager you run the risk of losing the contact. 

Many contractors will then stop their objection rather then protect their employees.

I've experienced this first hand and stopped work. Protect Life before profit!

A couple of years ago I had a problem with a cracked water pipe at my townhouse. Basically and to cut a long story short, it did not leak all the time, only when the pump ran. So, the pipes run in a vertical tunnel from ground level to third floor, the only access is a largish panel in the second floor shower room, and the water is leakimg through the kitchen ceiling.

Having eventually located the problem, the only solution was to replace some pipework in the vertical tunnel.......but no way could I fit, even though I am only 70kg.

A Thai technical teacher, who does "homers" as a sideline, was found and agreed to do the job. But, no way would he climb into that tunnel without a fan running at full speed and pointing directly at the opening! Quite unnecessary, as it was open top and bottom, no gasses could possibly accumulate....but at least it shows some ARE aware and mindful of the potential dangers.

A tragedy like this could have easily been prevented. Just shows Thailand is still a 3rd world country when it comes to safety procedures.  But will they learn ? Mai pen rai. 

Archived