French minister asks Trump not to meddle in French affairs

webfact

French minister asks Trump not to meddle in French affairs

fr.jpg

FILE PHOTO: French Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian. September 24, 2018. REUTERS/Amr Alfiky/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump should not meddle in French affairs, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Sunday after Trump criticised France in two tweets following riots in Paris.

Anti-government protesters faced off with riot police in Paris and other French cities on Saturday, hurling stones, torching cars and vandalising shops and restaurants in a fourth weekend of unrest that has shaken President Emmanuel Macron's authority.

"The Paris Agreement isn't working out so well for Paris. Protests and riots all over France," Trump wrote on his Twitter account on Saturday.

"People do not want to pay large sums of money, much to third world countries (that are questionably run), in order to maybe protect the environment. Chanting "We Want Trump!" Love France," Trump wrote.

Le Drian said on LCI television: "The yellow vest demonstration was not protesting in English, as far as I know."

He said that images published in the United States with people chanting "We want Trump" were filmed during a Trump visit to London several months ago.

In a separate tweet, Trump also said: "Very sad day & night in Paris. Maybe it's time to end the ridiculous and extremely expensive Paris Agreement and return money back to the people in the form of lower taxes? The U.S. was way ahead of the curve on that and the only major country where emissions went down last year!"

Le Drian said the French government does not comment on American politics and that this should work both ways.

"I say to Donald Trump, and the President of the Republic tells him too: we do not take part in American debates, let us live our life in our country," he said.

Le Drian also said that most Americans disagreed with Trump over his decision to walk away from the 2015 Paris climate agreement.

In the past few months, Trump has published a series of tweets criticising Macron's climate and defence policies, as well as Macron's low approval rating.

(Reporting by Emmanuel Jarry; Writing by Geert De Clercq. Editing by Jane Merriman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-10

I'm reminded of an occasion when Charles De Gaulle met an American bigwig post - Second World War, and the American was pointing out how the US had saved France's bacon. Turning aside, De Gaulle remarked to one of his aides " Qui a fait entrer ce cochon?" ( Who let this pig in? )

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

Perhaps he should ask NZ or African nations about France meddling in other countries affairs.

Most countries do this in some form or another.

That would indicate that he's even moderately informed about/interested in world politics and as we know he's not even capable of reading short briefs.

As usual you give him waaaay too much credit.

"PARIS (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump should not meddle in French affairs, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Sunday after Trump criticised France in two tweets following riots in Paris."

Anything to draw attention away from this guy:

benghazi-in-3-years-o-indictments-o-guilty-pleas-o-35397085.png

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

One of the best Tweets ever. It completely wiped the smirk off that virtue signalling globalist child that somehow beat Ms Le Pen at the last election. I just knew the French would bitterly regret their voting, and seeing France burning is proof enough. Keep turning the screw Mr Trump, largely thanks to you we in Europe have a real chance to get our countries back.

Nonsense. Point to one policy trump has enacted to increase EU country security. The fact is to date Trump has been undermining security for EU countries.

28 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes Washington, shut up meddling in French affairs. France is an ally, stop attacking France. Go and have a pop at whatever other country, any country that's not one of our allies.

Well Macron has been taking rather a pop at the UK in recent weeks, so I'm not sure that the "allies" line really works.

Having said that, I'm not trying to defend Trump's tweets: the most successful troll in the world.

But nor would I defend Macron. His strange mix of Napoleonic delusions of grandeur and contempt for the working class has revealed the true nature of his pseudo-liberalism. And backfired in a way no-one foresaw.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Because at 64, I can not remember a time when there was so much unhappiness and strife in the western world.

Thats interesting because 1: you are just out of range of WW2, and 2: the western world is unhappy and in strife due to straight-up globalism. 

If countries focused on their own citizens like they virtue signal at illegal aliens, carbon taxes, and employment migration there wouldn't be any real strife to speak of. 

Yet you sit here at 64 contemplating the meaning of life?

Yeah man it pisses citizens off when they are sidelined in favor of unelected global elites with an agenda. 

You see strife? I see patriotic heroism. 

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

One of the best Tweets ever. It completely wiped the smirk off that virtue signalling globalist child that somehow beat Ms Le Pen at the last election. I just knew the French would bitterly regret their voting, and seeing France burning is proof enough. Keep turning the screw Mr Trump, largely thanks to you we in Europe have a real chance to get our countries back.

You admire a clown that never read a book in his life, that has a so limited vocabulary that all his thoughts of a week can be put in only one tweet !!!

1 hour ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Haha. 

Macron takes every opportunity to try and publicly dunk on Trump. 

Now his chit is on fire and his admin wants Trump to stop meddling? 

You reap what you sow, punk. Enjoy your riots. 

If Marcon would do that then he wouldn't talk about anything else but Trump.

And what do you think people will think about someone who writes: "You reap what you sow, punk. Enjoy your riots."?

Did you subscribe to Thai Visa, Donald?

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And what do you think people will think about someone who writes: "You reap what you sow, punk. Enjoy your riots."?

I think the people rioting are patriotic heros standing up for themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

PS. My apologies if your ramblings are the result of a medical condition or advanced age. 

Its the world you made sir. The one thats allowed you to live here in retirement, away from the chit, and drink "cold ones" upon waking while you belittle the people that have to live with the horsechit policy you contributed to. 

You reap what you sow, punk. Enjoy your riots.

2 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes Washington, shut up meddling in French affairs. France is an ally, stop attacking France. Go and have a pop at whatever other country, any country that's not one of our allies.

Since Trump has been POTUS the USA is starting to run out of allies and friends.

He has done more damage in 2 years than any of the last 10 POTUS put together.

It will take years and probably decades to repair the damage if it ever can be repaired.

Putin must be very proud of him.

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Well Macron has been taking rather a pop at the UK in recent weeks, so I'm not sure that the "allies" line really works.

Having said that, I'm not trying to defend Trump's tweets: the most successful troll in the world.

But nor would I defend Macron. His strange mix of Napoleonic delusions of grandeur and contempt for the working class has revealed the true nature of his pseudo-liberalism. And backfired in a way no-one foresaw.

It's an interesting phenomenon how so many politicians, regardless of what they say to the electorate to get votes, actually hold the working class, the bulk of the electorate in contempt whilst regarding themselves as totally entitled to grandeur.

And this little Napoleon is a good example of that.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

It's an interesting phenomenon how so many politicians, regardless of what they say to the electorate to get votes, actually hold the working class, the bulk of the electorate in contempt whilst regarding themselves as totally entitled to grandeur.

And this little Napoleon is a good example of that.

Didn't The Daily Telegraph call him "President Pepé Le Pew."?

6 hours ago, Becker said:

That would indicate that he's even moderately informed about/interested in world politics and as we know he's not even capable of reading short briefs.

As usual you give him waaaay too much credit.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The "he" I was referring to was the French Foreign Minister.

You of course immediately turned it upon Trump. As you say, you are a liberal so just cannot help it. Funny how the term "liberal" is used by people who are anything but liberal. Pretty much the same as people who call themselves "progressive" are actually regressive authoritarians. I am a center-right libertarian so you can have a go back at me now. I do like to be fair after all.

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

who said anything about policy? But one thing Trump did single handedly to increase EU countries security was to blow the lid of the no-go-zone secret. Pre-Trump the European authorities 100% denied such things existed. After Trump tweeted about them Merkel and others were forced into finally admitting such things existed and thus it is possible at some future stage to deal properly with them. Sweeping problems under the rug is not an acceptable way of dealing with them.

You mean these no go zones? ????

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/01/18/fox-news-corrects-apologizes-for-no-go-zone-remarks/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.402c655d9b02

Le Drian said the French government does not comment on American politics and that this should work both ways.

"I say to Donald Trump, and the President of the Republic tells him too: we do not take part in American debates, let us live our life in our country," he said

Ironically, that is exactly what the UK is trying to do with its Brexit decision.  We do not want 27 other countries (in practice just two, France and Germany, it seems)  making decisions on our behalf.  As I have said many times before, it is not always about money only.  Some of us were and are prepared to accept some temporary hardship in order to take back control of our own country.

11 hours ago, candide said:

No. The poster is referring to a warning issued by a police chief in Germany to which Merkel responded in early 2018. Really hyped up by the right of centre and nothing to do with a tweet by trump.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/angela-merkel-claims-no-go-areas-exist-germany-090315792.html?guccounter=1

Macron came to power on pro-EU ticket. Lots of hi-falutin ideas of rapid and deeper and EU integration - all up in smoke now.

Like some other "progressives", his hypocrisy is out. This article from yesterday's Guardian hits the spot.

"It was the most important TV appearance of Emmanuel Macron’s presidency: the 40-year-old former banker had to prove to an angry nation that he was not an arrogant “president of the rich” and that he understood ordinary French people’s struggle to make ends meet.

Yet Macron’s choice to deliver his prerecorded speech on social inequality from one of the most opulent and golden rooms in the luxurious, 365-room Élysée Palace was not lost on gilets jaunes protesters who have been occupying protest barricades on rural roundabouts.

Indeed, the Élysée Palace, the French presidential residence and workplace that is twice the size of the US White House and costs €104m a year to run, has been the object of fury during the protests. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/11/macron-president-of-the-rich-speech-elysee-palace-gilets-jaunes

Archived