PM May should renegotiate Brexit deal if loses vote in parliament: Johnson

webfact

PM May should renegotiate Brexit deal if loses vote in parliament: Johnson

2018-12-09T113840Z_1_LYNXMPEEB808J_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-JOHNSON-PARLIAMENT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Conservative MP Boris Johnson speaks at the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) annual party conference in Belfast, Northern Ireland November 24, 2018. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Former British foreign minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday Theresa May could stay on as prime minister and go back to Brussels and renegotiate the divorce agreement if she loses a crucial parliamentary vote on Tuesday on her Brexit deal.

Johnson, a leading Brexit campaigner who is seen as a possible successor to May, said Brussels would listen if she asked for the removal from the deal of the Irish "backstop", an insurance policy designed to prevent a post-Brexithard border between EU member Ireland and British-ruled Northern Ireland.

Asked if she could stay on as leader and go back to the EU to renegotiate the deal if she loses the vote, Johnson told the BBC: "Of course, that is exactly what needs to happen."

"What people want to hear now is not stuff about leadership elections and personalities, what they want to hear is that there a plan to get out of this mess," he said.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-10

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...PM May should renegotiate Brexit deal if loses vote in parliament: Johnson..."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Why would the EU renegotiate? Seriously, why? For what reason?

What will the UK do if the EU does NOT renegotiate? Leave?

This is becoming more and more of a farce everyday. I like the UK and have many British friends, but I have to say that the UK has crossed over to the point where they are embarrassing themselves.

I think 'Brexit' is a terrible idea, but that is the policy of the UK, so...

Pack up your stuff and go; you made your choice and now it is time to live with the consequences (sad as they are).

???? Hit the road, Jack ????

???? Don't ya come back no more no more no more... ????

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...PM May should renegotiate Brexit deal if loses vote in parliament: Johnson..."

This is becoming more and more of a farce everyday. I like the UK and have many British friends, but I have to say that the UK has crossed over to the point where they are embarrassing themselves.

Pack up your stuff and go; you made your choice and now it is time to live with the consequences (sad as they are).

Well, one reason the EU would renegotiate is because other than Britain, some northern countries and Germany, most of the other EU countries are basket cases.

Take a close look at the economies of Greece, Italy, France, most of the eastern countries. These are basket cases and the EU should be thinking of ways to get rid of them.

Belgium is now in almost open revolt at EU policies and more countries will follow. The EU ideal is dead as is to be expected from such diverse economies as anarchist Italy, Greece and France and stable, staple, moderate countries such as Germany, Scandinavia and Britain.

The  EU needs Britain, not the other way around.

Happy days are here again..

She's leaving now, bye bye.

You don't have a monopoly on very old tunes.

2 hours ago, damascase said:

‘Basket cases’? ‘Stable moderate countries such as Britain’?

I’m having a good laugh, early in the morning. Thanks for that!

As you will have read by now, the brexit deal as proposed by Ms May is a dud according to British legal opinion. Enough to make you choke on your weeties.

If you cared to check on most EU countries debt, you will also choke and splutter a bit. Not a good look for you or anyone that wants to remain in the EU.

Do you think that the mayhem in France will stay contained there. Wait till Italy and Greece have a go too.

The riots in France tally up to 2 million euros so far and rising. Expect it to go higher. And how much total debt does France have. They cannot pay it off in 2 generations of fiscal restraint. And one thing that France does not have is restaint. So who is going to bail out France once again. Surely not the Brits again, don't you think they have done their bit already over the centuries.

I could suggest who else qualifies as a basket case but Mr Trump won't allow me to say. Proffessional ettiquet and all that. 

And there we have it, Alexander Boris (man of the people) De Pfeffl Johnson, a leadings light of the Leave campaign has lost his former will lead Britain to Brexit.

If he were not sure Brexit is a crock that can’t be improved he’d be eagerly putting himself forward together with the Brexiteer Plan B he and his chums have been hiding from the nation.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Parliament looks like it can't decide, so let the people.

The people have already decided, I repeat only the losers want another vote.

Take a look at this video, I need to warn posters that it contains scenes with Alistair Campbell, which some viewers may find offending, it is not reconmended for people with a nervous disposition.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Take a look at this video, I need to warn posters that it contains scenes with Alistair Campbell, which some viewers may find offending, it is not reconmended for people with a nervous disposition.

The video has zero bearing on the UK’s deal with the EU.

The issue is the deal.

And it is the exact crock that it was always going to be.

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Parliament looks like it can't decide, so let the people.

I agree with you entirely, but it should be pointed out that Britain already has voted to leave the EU.

The Ms May solution is a dud and will be voted down tomorrow. That is when she should leave

the parliament along with her dud deal. Already enough schemers and liars in parliament without having the leader of one party being blatantly caught out.

It should be remembered that she is supposed to represent all of Britain, not just her busines and lobbyist cronies.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The video has zero bearing on the UK’s deal with the EU.

The issue is the deal.

And it is the exact crock that it was always going to be.

So are you saying if we had another vote, whichever way the vote went would not influence the outcome of 'the deal' strange.????

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If there were another vote regarding Brexit, it would be the same result but by a bigger margin IMO.

I would not be at all surprised. We've all learnt a great deal over the past two or three years ago. I've learnt that there are FAR more poorly educated people in England than I ever expected. I just hope that our much vaunted representative democracy does what it says on the tin.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

...PM May should renegotiate Brexit deal if loses vote in parliament: Johnson..."

Why would May want to subject herself to further whims of a conflicted parliament and back a plan that she obviously thought not to negotiate with the EU? If the EU-May agreed plan is voted down, May should resign and keep her sanity.

44 minutes ago, vogie said:

There can only be one reason why this grot gets so much air time on national TV.

Well, maybe two!

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If there were another vote regarding Brexit, it would be the same result but by a bigger margin IMO.

I tend to sgree with you. Everyone can see that what is happening in France is just a foretaste of what is to come.

Scandinavia, Germany and very few other EU countries have any fiscal restraint, never mind any public minded restraint.

EU is headed for total mayhem. The Union bit has already left town.

And the massive debt owed by so many Mediterranean countries can not be paid for by many generations, even if they had some fiscal restraint.

It is like buying a house where you have to pay off the previous owners massive debt, plus interest.

Maybe Ms Merkel can dip into German reserves to pay a fraction off. Not likely.

Britain needs to get out while it can. 

As a Brexiteer..I hope it's TAXI FOR MAY later today..Boris installed as interim pm..brussels told to go forth and multiply re may's deal and whistle for the alledged 39 big ones.[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]
Also waiting re poland's and greece's financial claim to move forward against germany re WW2.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

easy to say when it will not affect you, regardless of the end game

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

I'm sure I read the option of a no Brexit quoted by May by bbc yesterday. First I saw this in a very long time. No Brexit is the one thanks and this week before Christmas would be fine by me.

Yes, her rhetoric has changed from 'no deal is better than a bad deal' to 'either accept my deal, or no brexit'!

I'm sure nobody saw this coming.....????.....

32 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I would not be at all surprised. We've all learnt a great deal over the past two or three years ago. I've learnt that there are FAR more poorly educated people in England than I ever expected. I just hope that our much vaunted representative democracy does what it says on the tin.

so which party over the years has been responsible for that poor education

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Even though you agree (IIRC) that MPs are not very intelligent, know no more than many of the electorate and are mostly interested in their own financial well-being?

In view of the above, why on earth would you want them over-riding the democratic referendum result?

How about this: Give Johnson the PM job for a month and let him demonstrate what he can do.

Option a) He will negotiate a great deal with the EU and the UK parliament will confirm it and everybody will live happily ever after.

Option b) He will demonstrate one more time that he has a big mouth and that he blames everybody else but he is not capable of doing anything constructive. In that case make sure he signs an agreement that he will quit politics and never go public again.

May is incapable to negotiate or even re-negotiate a deal with 

Brussels, why? cos she's a remainer and wants to stay as close to the EU as possible.

She needs to GO ASAP!

Appoint David Davis as interim then propose to leave the EU with a clean NO DEAL WTO arrangement.

Once the 29th March deadline surpasses and Britain is totally free from the EU clasp, offer the EU a free trade deal on British terms and watch them take it with both hands and return to Brussels with their tail between their legs. Otherwise 

stay on WTO with them, as they will be the fiscal losers.

Then, Britain can start negotiating trade deals with the rest of the world as what the Brexit intention was in the first place!

10 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

As a Brexiteer..I hope it's TAXI FOR MAY later today..Boris installed as interim pm..brussels told to go forth and multiply re may's deal and whistle for the alledged 39 big ones.emoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.png
Also waiting re poland's and greece's financial claim to move forward against germany re WW2.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Boris installed as interim pm."

Disagree entirely!  He ran for the hills when the party were electing another leader, and is now advocating returning to the eu to re-negotiate - rather than just leaving!

He's entirely untrustworthy, and it's clear (to me anyway) that he doesn't actually want to leave the eu - he just wants to be seen as an mp to be supported by those who want to leave.....

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

As you will have read by now, the brexit deal as proposed by Ms May is a dud according to British legal opinion. Enough to make you choke on your weeties.

If you cared to check on most EU countries debt, you will also choke and splutter a bit. Not a good look for you or anyone that wants to remain in the EU.

Do you think that the mayhem in France will stay contained there. Wait till Italy and Greece have a go too.

The riots in France tally up to 2 million euros so far and rising. Expect it to go higher. And how much total debt does France have. They cannot pay it off in 2 generations of fiscal restraint. And one thing that France does not have is restaint. So who is going to bail out France once again. Surely not the Brits again, don't you think they have done their bit already over the centuries.

I could suggest who else qualifies as a basket case but Mr Trump won't allow me to say. Proffessional ettiquet and all that. 

France's debt is about 97.7 percent of GDP.  The UK's is 85.8 percent. Is that 11.9 percent the crucial difference between restraint and being a spendthrift? By the way, the Eurozone's ratio is 81.5 percent.

Just now, sotsira said:

May is incapable to negotiate or even re-negotiate a deal with 

Brussels, why? cos she's a remainer and wants to stay as close to the EU as possible.

She needs to GO ASAP!

Appoint David Davis as interim then propose to leave the EU with a clean NO DEAL WTO arrangement.

Once the 29th March deadline surpasses and Britain is totally free from the EU clasp, offer the EU a free trade deal on British terms and watch them take it with both hands and return to Brussels with their tail between their legs. Otherwise 

stay on WTO with them, as they will be the fiscal losers.

Then, Britain can start negotiating trade deals with the rest of the world as what the Brexit intention was in the first place!

"May is incapable to negotiate or even re-negotiate a deal with 

She needs to GO ASAP!"

Agree entirely.

"Appoint David Davis as interim then propose to leave the EU with a clean NO DEAL WTO arrangement."

I'd agree, except David Davies is also talking about going back to the eu to re-negotiate, and it's very obvious that the eu won't start negotiating sensibly until they are told that the uk is leaving at the end of the article 50 period ☹️.

Archived