BANGKOK 23 January 2019 22:36
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Top Democrats say Trump may face impeachment, jail over hush money

10 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Ah yes, the main source and basis for this entire article is a New York Democrat. 

You clearly do not understand the fact that starting the process of Impeachment is always political.

• Haha 1

I agree with emster23 I think we are looking at the tip of the iceberg much much worse to come 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Individual-1may be impeached in the House for this but it would never pass the Senate.

I agree with you on that and sympathize with your position on this matter.

Just one thing to add, and maybe this is part of your point, my guess is that a number of Senate Republicans do not want to have to vote on whether to convict if the House does impeach Trump.  There may even be a lot of House Republicans who would prefer that an impeachment vote never comes up.  

It's one thing for a politician to release statements that hedge issues so they can pander to as many of their constituency as is possible.  It's another thing to be on record - whether yea or nay - regarding a clear issue that many voters will take seriously. 

I am not sure how that will play out.  There's still a lot of factors coming down the pike.  However, I am pretty sure that politicians' next election prospects will come into play.  As I recall, it was a few influential Congressional Republicans that convinced Nixon to resign rather than go through the ignominy of a final floor vote for impeachment and a Senate trial.  Of course, in Nixon's case, they had the "smoking gun" tape.

Then again, would Trump - if it comes to that - resign for the sake of his party and his country?  I think for him it will be more of a business decision.

Edited by helpisgood
typo