what is the best visa for me to stay in Thailand and to travel on business

Yes you could obtain retirement if you could time your stay right - and that would be fine. 

If you can deduct as a business expense the Elite type visas would make sense - and maybe even if not as believe provides good travel benefits.  

With 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht a month income you can get an extension of stay, based on retirement, for a year at a time. First you need an O visa (90 days) that can be converted to the extension of stay.

When you say travel on business the business would have to be outside Thailand as you would need a Work Permit and that would be almost impossible to get if you are retired.

The other option would be an OA long stay 'visa' from a Thai Embassy in your home country, that can last you 2 years with unlimited travel in and out of Thailand with the minimum of hassles. Still doesn't allow you to work in Thailand.

Edited by overherebc

You could get a OA long stay visa at a Thai embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence. The visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. It is possible to get a total stay of almost 2 years from the visa.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

2 hours ago, d190 said:

What is the best visa for me to stay in Thailand and to travel on business?

There are two questions. 1. Stay in Thailand and 2. Travel on business. Are you going to travel on business outside Thailand or inside Thailand? 

Anybody who is over 50, an O-A visa is the best bet. I don't like EV for people over 50 because I think it is a waste money unless you have few a million dollars. For the same one million baht you would spend on an EV visa, you can park 800K in a Thai bank and spend the reaming 200K for hiring agents to avoid hassle with immigration, hire limo services and VIP services at airports for ease of entry, etc. And you still have access to 800K liquid asset that you could tap into anytime you want.

IMO, O-A every two years or O-A + extension is the best bet. Of course it won't allow you to work so also EV. But I think it will allow you to conduct some business (others can comment on this one more specifically) like attending trade shows, buying samples, attending business seminars, etc. 

Edited by onera1961

4 hours ago, d190 said:

What is the best visa for me to stay in Thailand and to travel on business?

I'm over 50 can i get a retirement visa?

Depends on how much time you’ll be staying in Thailand as to which visa/permit option would work best.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could get a OA long stay visa at a Thai embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence. The visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. It is possible to get a total stay of almost 2 years from the visa.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

I travel to Thailand about 4-6 times a year using visa exempts and tv. I am not ready to live in thailand at the moment so this O-A longstay visa is the suggested way to do this instead of retirement visa which i am eligble for. Last entry i questioned if i was working and told get visa next time. As has to be applied for in home country(Australia) can i show the equivalent of 800k baht in my aus account? Also would i be abie to obtain 5year drivers license when my existing 2year license expires? 

Edited by Jdmagpie
Spelling

15 minutes ago, Jdmagpie said:

As has to be applied for in home country(Australia) can i show the equivalent of 800k baht in my aus account? Also would i be abie to obtain 5year drivers license when my existing 2year license expires? 

You can apply for the OA visa by showing the equivalent of 800k baht in a bank in Australia or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. 

You can get a 5 year license with a OA visa.

29 minutes ago, Jdmagpie said:

I travel to Thailand about 4-6 times a year using visa exempts and tv. I am not ready to live in thailand at the moment so this O-A longstay visa is the suggested way to do this instead of retirement visa which i am eligble for. Last entry i questioned if i was working and told get visa next time. As has to be applied for in home country(Australia) can i show the equivalent of 800k baht in my aus account? Also would i be abie to obtain 5year drivers license when my existing 2year license expires? 

You will need to show equivalent 800k baht in an Australian bank.

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

(From Canberra Thai embassy Website)

You can get a 5 year licence but will need to obtain a residence certificate from immigration.

Edited by jacko45k