Hua Hin Car Rental

Finlaco

Hi

I will be in Hua Hin in January and as I have yet to rent a car in Thailand, I'm wondering if any TV Member has any relevant and recent experience.  HI, Regular Posters, yes I know its crazy to drive in Thailand but if you have any relevant experience with renting, I'd appreciate some feedback.

17 minutes ago, Finlaco said:

thanks  -could you expand a little bit wrt your recent experience with Avis?  Thanks

Avis and budget is international and I have rented cars world wide with no problem. Also in Thailand. 

However I have also rented from backyard rentals, and ended up paying tickets for no correct papers etc. Go for the international ones, and you should be safe, but it cost more, and do take the offered insurance they have. 

Just now, Hummin said:

Avis and budget is international and I have rented cars world wide with no problem. Also in Thailand. 

However I have also rented from backyard rentals, and ended up paying tickets for no correct papers etc. Go for the international ones, and you should be safe, but it cost more, and do take the offered insurance they have. 

Even everything looks ok with rental cars from an backyard rentals, their insurance is not good for rentalservice even they have class 1 insurance. For rentalcars they need to be an registered company running legal rentingservice. Also if you rent from your neighbour, you have to say you borrow it. 

Read about local and international renters here

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/travel/car-rental-thailand/

• 2 weeks later...

Have your Home Country drivers licence and International Permit, so you are good on that front.  Or Thai DL of course.

I have rented with a couple places, local Thai that are not International brands.  They ask for 2000 cash deposit, and bring back with same fuel level.

Never had a problem getting deposit back or any issues.  As with any rental, take a moment to go around the vehicle for any existing damage and have it noted.
Also take pictures with your phone just incase.

Consider getting a cell mount (suction or otherwise) for the car, so you can view GPS/map in a comfortable position.  Also lighter-USB for charging phone(s) or devices.

And if for extended duration or intend to drive in future, could consider a dashcam incase of any issues.  Some members have 2 to cover the back too.

Good luck and safe travels.

Archived