EC: Political party reform must involve public

webfact

EC: Political party reform must involve public

PNPOL611209001000101.jpg

BANGKOK,  (NNT) – The Election Commission (EC) has stressed that the reform of political parties must be centered on public participation and involvement. 

Secretary-General of the EC, Pol Col Jarungwit Phumma says the Organic Political Party Act strives to modernize political parties and lift their operational standards. The law states that in order to form a party, there must be no fewer than 500 founding members who must match the qualifications of those sitting in the lower house, as well as a seed fund of at least 1 million baht created by all of the co-founders contributing amounts between 1,000 and 50,000 baht. 

The law also stipulates that total donations to a party must not exceed a combined 10 million baht per year, in order to prevent parties from being manipulated by an outsider. 

But the key to political party reform is public involvement, he reiterated, adding that members of the general public must be allowed to take part in policy development. 

In terms of building a democratic political culture, he said efforts must start with local communities – villages and sub-districts – before moving on to provincial and national levels. 

Jarungwit noted that the electoral organ has set up democracy promotion centers across Thai communities to educate people about democracy, public participation in politics, elections, and nation building.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-12-10

I understand the 10 million baht per year donations, to prevent outside influence however this also limits how much money the amount of money a party has for campaigning and other stuff. It basically makes them member driven (for their finances). Looks like a huge blow to political parties. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I understand the 10 million baht per year donations, to prevent outside influence however this also limits how much money the amount of money a party has for campaigning and other stuff. It basically makes them member driven (for their finances). Looks like a huge blow to political parties. 

How interesting. In the other paper this morning there is a thread under politics about the PPRP for 200 tables at 3,000,000 per table to raise funds. To be held on 19th December.

That is 600,000,000 baht alone which makes a mockery of the 10,000,000 donations that robblok is on about.

I cannot post any links or post to it but it isn't hard to find

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

How interesting. In the other paper this morning there is a thread under politics about the PPRP for 200 tables at 3,000,000 per table to raise funds. To be held on 19th December.

That is 600,000,000 baht alone which makes a mockery of the 10,000,000 donations that robblok is on about.

I cannot post any links or post to it but it isn't hard to find

I read the same thing, maybe they mean 10.000.000 per entity person. I have no idea... but I feel that 10.000.000 donation is far to low if it was a combined donation. 

I suspect most are missing the bigger picture or any picture, for that matter. 

Reform - used in the rhetorical sense. Too easy. Often repeated, yet never practiced.

A thorough cleansing of the systems is required. Nothing more, nothing. 

21 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I suspect most are missing the bigger picture or any picture, for that matter. 

Reform - used in the rhetorical sense. Too easy. Often repeated, yet never practiced.

A thorough cleansing of the systems is required. Nothing more, nothing. 

Let's not act in haste here, the status quo has served the upper echelon for generations, Winners are grinners. As far as involving the public, we saw that on display with the constitution, the public are not well enough educated to participate.

4 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Let's not act in haste here, the status quo has served the upper echelon for generations, Winners are grinners. As far as involving the public, we saw that on display with the constitution, the public are not well enough educated to participate.

Education doesn't guarantee anything. As we continually witness here.

Intuitive knowledge is a different beast altogether. 

Archived