Hapatite C, what hospital?

Captor

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, there is no rush, take your time, get your blood work done, and perhaps get a second or third blood wool and opinion. Once you’re certain of the genotype you can start planning what medication she can use and how you will go about getting it.

Hep C is not cancer, there is no hurry.

Hi,

We have now some more information. But we are not able to understand all of it. The Ultrasound seems to look good at least. The Chemistry too. The Fibro scan is over our head and the Hematology as well. Hemotocrit is out of normal values. Should we be worried? And there are some comments about Abnormal RBC which is beyond our knowledge as well.

The geno type will we hopefully get tomorrow. I hope, because they called from the hospital today and wondered if we still have the bill for that! It is an external company that is doing that. And they we must pay separately which we did. Hopefully they have found everything by tomorrow.

Anyway, is there anything in this tests that should worry us? Would be nice to have a hint about what will hit us tomorrow.

Please see attached files. The test are from 2 hospitals: Praram 2 and Rajawithi (Fibro scan).

Chemistry.jpg

Fibro scan.jpg

Hamotology.jpg

Ultrasound.jpg

She has a mild microcytic anemia. This is usually due to iron deficiency, but in Thais can also be due to thalessemia. They may want to do a serium ferritin (iron).

Liver function seems normal, no sign of damage or abnormal function.

Dear Sheryl,

Can that be due too that she gave? But that is already 6 weeks ago and she have eaten the iron pills, However not all of them due to that we thought that they might be hard on the liver no that she has Hep C. I guess she can start again then and eating all of them.

Besides that she is very healthy with the food. No alcohol whatsoever for example. A lot vegetables, fish and meat (not read meat) very mixed and drinking almost only water. And a LOT of fruit.

But that is good news then, right? I mean in total it could be much worse.

It will be very interesting at the hospital tomorrow when we meet the doctor. Whe have decided to try to go with the 30-bath scheme IF the goverement accept to give her some new medicine. If they want to try with interferon we will go for other alternatives. Like India. By the way, it look like Greg Jefferies homepage is not in use anymore. But he is on FB and I am member of he´s group there but I have not talked to him jet. I want to see what will happen tomorrow first.

This guy Sumit Grupta at Aurel Pharmacy that many here are talking positive about seems unfortunately  not to be in business anymore. I have managed to find he´s email address but that is not in use anymore.

Also I have done an inquiry via TradeIndia with no result.

Without the genotype shopping for medication is pointless.

In any event, even if you import meds, she will (as I understand it) need regular blood work.

If you’re going to import medication, make sure it is medication her doctor approves, and that he or she will continue to see her through the treatment.

Yes, that we will do. I have just checked out the market for now. Covering all the bases so to speak. We will see if we get to know the geno type and maybe the viral load tomorrow. And who knows, maybe the Thai government pays for the medicine. I think there is a fair chance for that.

IF we will import then it has to be with the help of a doctor regarding WHAT to import and also regular blood check ups.

Maybe we know more tomorrow, thanks.

Hi, here comes an update after todays visit at the doctor at Rajavithi.

The viral load is 3 139 836 IU/ml and I think that is pretty high or not?

The Genotype is 6n.

But still no damage on the liver. So it is to early for treatment for free with the 30-bath scheme. The fibro scan is 6 and should at least be 7 for the free medicine.

Maybe in 6 months or in 12 months he said. Or longer. But have to check the liver and blood regularly.

Then he said that we can of course buy the new medicine privately and the cost for that is 6 740 THB for 28 pills!

And that is much more cheap then expected. So we did go for that without hesitating.

After 1 months she has to come  back and check blood again. For checking the virus load. And also if there have been side effects before he then gives a prescription for 2 more months of pills.

So all in all this is OK. Price is very OK and no much use in buying from India. I think this also is the same if it is a foreigner who buys the medicine and not only Thai people or people with insurance. This is outside the 30-bath scheme so everyone can do that in a government hospital for that price per today.

We have already got the medicine and she will start tomorrow. The medicine name is LEDVIR from Mylan.

See attached. Also the doctor gave a first vaccin for Hepatite B.

LEDVIR.jpg

There is not very much to do when you got Hepatitis C. The available medicine that can remove it from the liver is still under patent so it's very expensive. You can count on up to 2 million baht for a treatment that takes 4-6 months. Otherwise there's not much more to do than keep healthy and avoid alcohol. The biggest reason for Hep-C is that people people have shared needles with each other. While you are at it take a HIV test also, most thais have never done that even when they are in the risk group.

4 minutes ago, milys said:

There is not very much to do when you got Hepatitis C. The available medicine that can remove it from the liver is still under patent so it's very expensive. You can count on up to 2 million baht for a treatment that takes 4-6 months. Otherwise there's not much more to do than keep healthy and avoid alcohol. The biggest reason for Hep-C is that people people have shared needles with each other. While you are at it take a HIV test also, most thais have never done that even when they are in the risk group.

LEDVIR is manufactured by Mylan under license from Gilead.

14 hours ago, Captor said:

LEDVIR is manufactured by Mylan under license from Gilead.

Harvoni (ledipasvir/sofosbuvir) dosing, indications, interactions ...

google that.......says it is used for genotype 6      

viral load of 3 million not very high   

if med works which it should viral LOAD should be

nil within a short time.

I have not been following the news on availability of generic Harvoni ( licensed and made in India).

GREAT that you got it here.   And the price is right !   

Her liver tests are fine........stop worrying, take the med. ,  in 3 months she will be clear of the virus (my prediction)

i know you have been overwhelmed with info from many sides......too much thinking will just cause confusion.   Take the pills,.  Thank the drs, the drug company (finally making the med. available at an affordable price) .....  then forget about them and go back to enjoying life  ( no tatoos, needles....)

Great news that Ledvir is obtainable from hospitals in Thailand. I did not know that. It is nto registered for sale here, the hospitals must be bringing it in themselves.

Cure rate is something like 95% for genotype 6 with this treatment.

The prior poster's suggestion of an HIV test is valid, as mode of transmission is similar.

Sheryl, yes, the HIV test was negative. I maybe forgot to mention it. The medicine is available in all the BIG government hospitals the doctor said.

Yes that is very good news and great luck for us. As special that the price not was so bad.

Rumak, right! We are very happy right now!

And thanks you all for the fantastic support and help here at TV. You have been great! Especially Sheryl! You are amazing!

We have been speculating in if it maybe can come from pedicure? It has been blood sometimes and if the tools are not clean....? Or what about mosquitos? If the mosquito has taken blood from one person and continues to next? Spreading the blood. Yeah it is not easy to know...

Anyway, we have got for 28 days only and then the doctor want to see her again for check and also about side effect before we get the rest for 3 months intake. So we are on it.

I will update later with the result or if something else new comes up regarding this.

I am having my thoughts if it is correct that also non Thai people can do this if they pay the medicine and the blood test etc.. That is what my gf said she over heard but I want to check in on that again if that really is correct. That can help a lot in the same situation here at TV.

Yes, certainly a non Thai can do this. They will have to pay for everything (doctor visit, labs etc) but those costs are small at a government hospital.

Very good news that this generic drug is now available in govt hospitals, thanks for that info.

Mosquitoes cannot transmit Hep C. 

There is a scarcity of data on transmission via manicure or pedicure but it is theoretically possible. 

It can definitely be transmitted via tattooing (body tattoo,  eyebrow tattoo etc).  A prior sexual partner is also a possible source.

So then she heard correct then. Yes that is very good news for a lot.

I can find out the exactly costs we had to pay for the blood test, Ultrasound and Fibro scan.

The most expensive was the external company who checked the geno type and viral load i remember. That was 5000 THB. The others were about 2-3000 THB each.

Good to know about mosquitos. We almost freaked out when we thought about that????

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys,

Here comes a short update and prices so far. In case someone want to do this without buying meds from India or use private hospital or using the 30-bath scheme.

We just went to a government hospital (Rajawithi) and payed the bill due to her liver was not to bad :-).

After almost half the first bottle she has not noticed any side effects at all! Maybe..maybe she has some minor sleeping problem sometimes but that can also be within the normal

behavior. I think most people have lees sleeping quality sometimes.

The costs so fare have been:

Ultrasound 650

Geno test 5000

Blood test 3200

Fibro scan 2080

Ledvir 28 pills (3 x 28 pills is required) 6740

Next visit it will be a new blood test and then we will get a new prescription for the rest of the pills (2 x 28 pills). That is the plan anyway.

And my guess is after the total time there will be one more blood test.

Ouch! That is a lot more. I think this will end up in 37-38000 THB. More if the doctor want to take a Fibro scan again. But that is a very reasonable amount.

Why did your treatment last 6 months? I thought 3 months is the normal length? Did it not help the first time? Or did you got older medicine? Not this new one?

Ouch! That is a lot more. I think this will end up in 37-38000 THB. More if the doctor want to take a Fibro scan again. But that is a very reasonable amount.
Why did your treatment last 6 months? I thought 3 months is the normal length? Did it not help the first time? Or did you got older medicine? Not this new one?

This was 6-10 years ago, interferon and riba—-something.

Side effects were a nightmare, still clear though...

On 1/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Captor said:

A relief that there are new medicines with very moderate side effects. 

Glad to hear you are still OK. I hope that will last too.

you indeed are very lucky ( and due to your good research and advice ) to get the Ledvir !  Many (millions)

people still do not have access to this very effective and safe drug because of the exorbitant price (USA and many other "first world" countries do not offer the generic.  Its ALL about the MONEY.

Sure your gf will be rid of the virus soon. 

Yes, we can be very lucky. Thank you! Also we are very glad for all your guys here in TV. That help and support is priceless! You know who you are:-)

Yes, it as a shame that everything is about money. One should think when it is about health it should not be that extreme! OK, I understand that companies that comes out with new medicines want there research money back and also profit. But this is ridiculous and shameless. Not only this treatment. Others too I have read.

We hope that the medicine will help. There is always the small possibility that it not help. I am optimistic but cautious. We cross our fingers! But maybe then if it not works, should it be an option to take the medicine 3 more months? For a second chance? I have thought about that outcome too.

Under all circumstances I will keep you at TV updated.

Archived