International Schools in Bangkok Recomendations

Rimkok

I am looking for a recommendation for an international school in Bangkok.

My requirements are:

Maximum 400,000 baht a year at high school level

In a nice area outside of Bangkok, I intend to move as close to the school as possible

Close to decent restaurants and bars that are family orientated

Shopping mall nearby

British or American curriculum

Within 30 minutes of the airport

Near a golf course would be very nice

Does anybody know of any schools that fit all the above requirements

Many thanks in advance

Google 'list of international schools in Bangkok'. The first hit is a page that lists all of them with their reported fees and a map to show locations.

Heathfield might be your best shout as it is further from town, lots of housing communities around that area, the school goes up to the end of secondary, very near the airport, has a few golf courses around (Unico, Krungthep Kreetha etc) and is only slightly over your budget. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, BobbyL said:

Google 'list of international schools in Bangkok'. The first hit is a page that lists all of them with their reported fees and a map to show locations.

Heathfield might be your best shout as it is further from town, lots of housing communities around that area, the school goes up to the end of secondary, very near the airport, has a few golf courses around (Unico, Krungthep Kreetha etc) and is only slightly over your budget. 

Thanks I will check it out.

I did a bit of research on Heathfield School and it looks like a very nice school. It did receive a few negative reviews years ago mainly about the owners.

Does anybody on the board have any recent experiences with the school?

Also any recommendations on a housing estate nearby in the 30k a month price range?

Many thanks in advance.

NIST, ISB and Bangkok Pattana. Not anywhere close but you should check them out to see what that money buys - world class education.

Wells has a few campuses, my hunch is about this priceish.

Note the curriculum.

Are ALL teachers QTS or US credentialed?

Be certain to ask for where the students are admitted to university and evidence of this. SAT scores would also be a great performance indicator.

19 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

NIST, ISB and Bangkok Pattana. Not anywhere close but you should check them out to see what that money buys - world class education.

Wells has a few campuses, my hunch is about this priceish.

Note the curriculum.

Are ALL teachers QTS or US credentialed?

Be certain to ask for where the students are admitted to university and evidence of this. SAT scores would also be a great performance indicator.

Thanks for the tips!!

5 hours ago, Rimkok said:

Thanks for the tips!!

If the schools are British curriculum, they might not be pushing SATs all that much as this is an American thing.

Ask for a tour, look at the teachers. Do they look and act professional?

This sort of money tends to get the facilities but not necessarily the strong teaching.

I'm loathe to suggest it because they don't hire Americans, but you also might look at Amnuay Silpa.

Regents and Garden might also meet your criteria. Not sure at all about tuition, but know they are not nearly as much as the three I'd mentioned, also outside CBD.

The likes of NIST, ISB, Pattana, and even Regents etc are all far more than that. You might get under 400k for EYFS but that would be it. I do know some of those schools once in secondary can be 700k+ per year. Madness. 

I know someone who works at Heathfield. A new head is in there and it seems to be very well ran compared to previous years. It is growing and they're opening new classes as the intake increases. 

If your kid is half Thai then Amnuay Silpa is also a good option. A full UK curriculum with qualified staff and management now. Slightly under 400k I believe but it is far more central than you wanted. 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, BobbyL said:

The likes of NIST, ISB, Pattana, and even Regents etc are all far more than that. You might get under 400k for EYFS but that would be it. I do know some of those schools once in secondary can be 700k+ per year. Madness.

ISB is running a bit over 900K a year in the secondary school. That's without adding on the extras for when you first apply.  If you need transportation to school through their buss service you're going to have to tack on some more.  

You are correct though with the statement, "Madness".

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, Rimkok said:

I did a bit of research on Heathfield School and it looks like a very nice school. It did receive a few negative reviews years ago mainly about the owners.

Does anybody on the board have any recent experiences with the school?

Also any recommendations on a housing estate nearby in the 30k a month price range?

Many thanks in advance.

I wonder in your research you found out that it is not linked to the very famous and prestigious Heathfield school in the UK at all. The famous Heathfield School for girls is in Ascot, Berkshire and has nothing to do with its Bangkok namesake. There is a link with a school called Heathfield in the UK but it is an obscure place with no particular reputation. I wonder how many parents in Thailand have been fooled into thinking otherwise.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:45 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

The top tier British ones are out of my budget.  I'm looking at Ascot.

https://ascot.ac.th/

I would be interested to know your views in due course. For budget-conscious parents the trick might be to identify second-tier schools which are on the way up/ rapidly improving but not yet charging exorbitant fees. I heard quite good reports of Ascot so it might fall into this category

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, jayboy said:

I would be interested to know your views in due course. For budget-conscious parents the trick might be to identify second-tier schools which are on the way up/ rapidly improving but not yet charging exorbitant fees. I heard quite good reports of Ascot so it might fall into this category

I am going to make an appointment to take a look at this school. I do like the look of it and after a bit of research I note favorable reviews.

It won't be until March but I will report back. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 10:10 AM, BobbyL said:

I know someone who works at Heathfield. A new head is in there and it seems to be very well ran compared to previous years. It is growing and they're opening new classes as the intake increases. 

If your kid is half Thai then Amnuay Silpa is also a good option. A full UK curriculum with qualified staff and management now. Slightly under 400k I believe but it is far more central than you wanted. 

Amnuay Silpa running ad now for teacher/s 55K. Down considerably from past. You might get lucky and grab a good teacher for that, maybe not.

Also limiting the school to UK teachers is cutting any potential pool in half

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Amnuay Silpa running ad now for teacher/s 55K. Down considerably from past. You might get lucky and grab a good teacher for that, maybe not.

Yes, that is true.

Where is the ad? They usually only advertise on TES. 

I know teachers with QTS start on around 95k there. 

I know it is not what you are looking for, but United World College in Singapore is 100% worth the sacrifice - look at the college acceptances and the IB scores. AND it gets your kids away from the pollution, as well as the very real dangers to teenagers in Thailand of drugs and motorbikes. Make the Sacrifice, take a 15K a month flat, and give your kids the best education.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 7:50 AM, BobbyL said:

Yes, that is true.

Where is the ad? They usually only advertise on TES. 

I know teachers with QTS start on around 95k there. 

It was run on ajarn. They should state as all British curriculum no Americans need apply. Stop wasting our time.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, SuperTed said:

I know it is not what you are looking for, but United World College in Singapore is 100% worth the sacrifice - look at the college acceptances and the IB scores. AND it gets your kids away from the pollution, as well as the very real dangers to teenagers in Thailand of drugs and motorbikes. Make the Sacrifice, take a 15K a month flat, and give your kids the best education.

Bang on.

As we all know there is a tradition of enrolling one's children at prestigious and productive boarding scools elsewhere.

The Singapore example looks like a good one..

The supposed Thai "elite" schools merely borrowed their names from educational facilities overseas and are every bit as 'Potemkin village' as the rest of the country.

I would be looking at some of the Indian universities and colleges as well.They are crackerjack.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, Number 6 said:

If you have a mixed race child and opt for an international school, it's essential that he/she is given instruction by native English speakers. I have come across a case at an international school(second tier) where reading/writing instruction is given by a smart young Thai woman - and without going into details it's just not good enough. The mainly Thai parents apparently don't get her deficiencies indeed think she is the bees knees, mainly because they don't have advanced English speaking skills themselves.

Turning to salaries, I don't think schools will be able to recruit first class experienced UK originated teachers for much less than Bt 70,000 pm.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:05 AM, SuperTed said:

Looks like a great school. It would cost upwards of 3 million baht a year including accommodation. On top of that a car is double the cost of Thailand. Very expensive, I think these schools are designed for the expat population working in Singapore when the company pays (probably at a discounted rate)

Archived