Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 January 2019 11:03
webfact

UK: Who was the 'Thai bride' dumped in the hills?

Recommended Posts

Who was the 'Thai bride' dumped in the hills?

By Alex Moss

BBC News

 

_104616392_alex1.jpg

When Richard Hill posed for this picture, he did not realise a body was wrapped around the rocks behind him//RICHARD HILL

 

Moments after Richard Hill posed for this picture, he and his friends discovered a corpse lying in the mountain stream. More than 14 years later, police remain baffled as to the identity of the woman dumped in the Yorkshire Dales. But forensic advances have at last offered a clue, giving weight to a new theory about the final years of her life.

 

Stormy weather battered the five walkers as they set off from the quaint village of Horton in Ribblesdale for Yorkshire's famous Three Peaks.

 

After reaching the summit of the smallest, Pen-y-ghent, they were forced back to flat land by the wind and rain and took a detour along the Pennine Way.

 

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-46287954

 
bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-12-10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_102509994_d72f74b3-d778-4891-a9db-5d7a3e55df2c.jpg.350e052378fbc703366cee8717ac8a40.jpg

Cold case reviewers said an artist's impression released at the time was not necessarily an accurate reflection of her because it was based on her after death.

 

Despite extensive inquiries, North Yorkshire Police has so far failed to answer the two most important questions: who is this woman and how did she die?

 

Examination of her body put her height at 4ft 11ins (149 cm) and her weight at about 10 stone (63kg).

 

 

 

(Highlighted "cut and past" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-46287954)

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if, at the time she was found, this was reported properly in the Thai press?  Possibly not but it should be now with every effort made to get it out there to as large an audience as possible in the hope her family will come forward.  But just as importantly if she was married to an Brit and was living in England then there should be a paper trail.  UK immigration should be able to identify her and her husband who should be brought to book!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You're jumping the gun a bit there but generally I agree.

That is why I said "should be".  I am not naïve enough to believe it will happen like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nah...they are way to busy for this case they do real policing and arresting, like people speaking bad about each other

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wombat said:

nah...they are way to busy for this case they do real policing and arresting, like people speaking bad about each other

Is not solving this case "Real Policing"...

 

The case is not closed, it has been reviewed, forensic tests that were not available 14 years ago have now been done and they are able to shed some more light on the case.

 

I for one would like to see:

  • She is identified
  • Her family informed
  • The cause of death ascertained
  • And if she was murdered the murderer brought to justice 

Is that not a reasonable request?

 

EDIT:

Sorry read your post wrong...

 

You mean the police should not be looking for the racist thugs who throw banana skins at black football players???

 

Edited by Basil B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

But just as importantly if she was married to an Brit and was living in England then there should be a paper trail.  UK immigration should be able to identify her and her husband who should be brought to book!

 In order to identify her husband, assuming she did enter the UK as a spouse, the authorities first have to identify her.

 

These days with all UK visa applicants having to enrol their biometrics, this could be done via her fingerprints. But 14 years ago there was no biometric enrolment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

 In order to identify her husband, assuming she did enter the UK as a spouse, the authorities first have to identify her.

 

These days with all UK visa applicants having to enrol their biometrics, this could be done via her fingerprints. But 14 years ago there was no biometric enrolment.

you have a time frame and the part of the country it happened in.  Just process the Englishmen who brought their Thai brides to live in the UK.  You trace her through him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

you have a time frame and the part of the country it happened in.  Just process the Englishmen who brought their Thai brides to live in the UK.  You trace her through him.

Not that easy...

Quote

According to the Office of National Statistics, in 2004 there were 3,000 people in Cumbria and Lancashire who were born in a south-east Asian country.

I assume immigration does not keep a database of addresses of "aliens", they would have to trawl through every application that was given "leave to enter" from about 1980 to 2004, then trace their current whereabouts.

 

Could do better to start with the 2001 census, even then it would be a big trawl with lots of dead ends. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Not sure if, at the time she was found, this was reported properly in the Thai press?  Possibly not but it should be now with every effort made to get it out there to as large an audience as possible in the hope her family will come forward.  But just as importantly if she was married to an Brit and was living in England then there should be a paper trail.  UK immigration should be able to identify her and her husband who should be brought to book!

I would think that Thai ladies in that area would be few and far between and therefore known to neighbours and friends and missed by them. If a husband or partner says "she's gone home", some proof should be offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, Basil B said:

Not that easy...

I assume immigration does not keep a database of addresses of "aliens", they would have to trawl through every application that was given "leave to enter" from about 1980 to 2004, then trace their current whereabouts.

 

Could do better to start with the 2001 census, even then it would be a big trawl with lots of dead ends. 

        Possibly, they had been living in another part of the UK. 

              Her partner ,  could have arranged  a walking trek  out of their local area , and done his  well planned deed..

               

Edited by elliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×