Grasscutter cutting out

Sophon

We have an approximately 3 year old four stroke Honda grasscutter, that has been giving us problems the last couple of months. It starts fine and works OK for a while but then (when it gets hot?), the motor starts cutting out. After a couple of minutes it will start again, but only to stop again a few minutes later. 

Two of the local shops have tried to fix the grasscutter (one have had four tries, the other two), but all they have done is clean the air and oil filters and change the spark plug. Now one of the shops (the one that have had four previous tries at it), says that the carburetor has to be changed. They may be correct, but to be honest I have no longer any confidence in either shop and think they are now just guessing. I would like to take the grasscutter to a really professional shop, where they know what they are doing. After the latest cleaning of the oil filter, it worked OK for a day, but this morning the problem is back.

We live in Lamphun midway between Chiang Mai and Lampang. Does anyone know a really good shop in Chiang Mai, Lamphun or Lampang that can take our grasscutter apart and fix whatever the problem is?

Thank you in advance for any recommendation.

Sophon

These engines are really simple. Definitely not beyond the half competent DIYer. Some info, manuals etc. in this thread

Ours did something similar after I re-built the engine. Turned out to be the ignition coil (it's actually a magneto but for our purposes ...), 500 Baht.

Did you try the massive tool shop at the Chang puak intersection about 1km past the Tesco.

from the roadside its about 10 tool shops in one but at the back they have teams repairing grasscutters, chainsaws, pumps, gennys.

I cant vouch for their ability but judging by the amount of gear awaiting repair its the go to place.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

These engines are really simple. Definitely not beyond the half competent DIYer. Some info, manuals etc. in this thread

Ours did something similar after I re-built the engine. Turned out to be the ignition coil (it's actually a magneto but for our purposes ...), 500 Baht.

I'm afraid that leaves me out then ????

Sophon

14 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Did you try the massive tool shop at the Chang puak intersection about 1km past the Tesco.

from the roadside its about 10 tool shops in one but at the back they have teams repairing grasscutters, chainsaws, pumps, gennys.

I cant vouch for their ability but judging by the amount of gear awaiting repair its the go to place.

We have only tried the two local shops in our small village in Mae Tha, Lamphun. I'm afraid that I don't know the place you are talking about (I assume in Chiang Mai?), any chance you could get some GPS coordinates from Google maps?

Sophon

34 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I'm afraid that leaves me out then ????

Sophon

Actually, I just took a look at a Youtube video and our grasscutter, and replacing the ignition coil seem to be a very simple job. The question is where to get a new ignition coil (Lazada?).

Sophon

20 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Just head into CM going past Thai Watsadu. When you cross the river take the road to Tesco, just carry on a little further and park up before the lights.

Screenshot_20181210_161611.jpg

Thanks, I will try to locate that place. 

Sophon

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

Actually, I just took a look at a Youtube video and our grasscutter, and replacing the ignition coil seem to be a very simple job. The question is where to get a new ignition coil (Lazada?).

Lazada, AliExpress or your local farm shop. These little engines (and the Chinese copies) are ubiquitous and parts (genuine and copy) are available pretty well everywhere.

We are lucky in having several farm equipment shops within easy range, everything from Kubota diesel engines to bearings for your Hatari fan available at stupidly low prices and the Old Dear in the Honda bits shop still thinks she's ripping off the farang (I mean, 10 Baht for two Honda priming bulbs has to be a rip off).

• 4 months later...

I've replaced the carburetor in a Patco brush cutter with a genuine Honda engine that I bought in Buriram in 2005.  Seems the family had used poor gasohol in the machine. A genuine Honda carburetor for the Honda GX35 is easy to buy at an authorized Honda Power Products dealer in Thailand. I'd personally steer clear of copy parts for any machine I want to last for more than one year when in fact genuine parts are readily available in Thailand for mainstream brands such as Honda. Patco is a fairly large Thai company that uses genuine Honda Power Products in several items they assemble. 

Archived