"Lean-to" roofing between house and garden wall.

cheeryble

Hi

We've just built a new house which is kind of an extension of a chalet I built for mum a couple of years ago.

So stage one the chalet......32sqm between columns plus plenty of roof overhang.....is done.

Stage two the main house is on the finishing touches.

Stage three will be to build behind between the house and the new garden wall, over 2.5m gap so well worth using, in which area I hope to have mum's small bathroom, an outside simple Thai kitchen, possibly part of a study which I hope will go in the three metre gap between the chalet and the new house then extend across to the garden wall. Also plenty of storage, some sealed against dust and water, and another part maybe aerated for garden tools, bikes etc.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32IMG_6238.thumb.JPG.0e7b8dd8ca2ed062c66f7354a4d637e3.JPG

the gap between the chalet and house, the roofs are joined as best as possible, and a floor laid.

IMG_6239.thumb.JPG.1925389b6695bb7020740908562cb136.JPG

Looking right the area will be an open atrium with water sounds and plants to be enjoyed from the extended bathroom glass doors whilst having a shower or sitting having a pony.

IMG_6237.thumb.JPG.4847f4cef6bd92cb3b578bf93c1db2e1.JPG

From the aforesaid bathroom across the atrium past the gap on the left then the chalet.

IMG_6234.JPG.ce6e613ae04a817eeaf14be6c0cbad77.JPG

the blue area at top left plus maybe the orange area extended to the garden wall. I large square = 1 metre

So its mostlySomething like this. (I envisage raising the wall height in this are by a couple or three AAC blocks)

IMG_3985.thumb.jpg.10b43c71d8d19c2d5d703486b89d61da.jpg

So forgetting the layout detail and dividing walls for now, I think I should start by considering what type of roof to fit.

I must consider:

1.some of the enclosed areas should be aerated like tool shed and thai kitchen, but some storage area and bathroom and study should be sealed somehow.

2. It doesn't need to be high and fit under the existing roof, I imagine it hanging off a vertical member fixed to the house wall.

3. Have to consider water drainage off this roof (and the fact that the upper roof is unguttered in this area) and ease of cleaning...ie the lower end comes into some sort of guttering?

4. Would like some panels to be opaque, but some to let light in. (Wondering if poss to use same metal sheet as roof if they make translucent with same profile.)

It's largely a question of how to seal a profiled sheet at top and bottom and if I can get clear and opaque panels of anything to fit with a matching profile or not.

Gotta run.......shoud be enough here to set brain cells ticking.

From your drawing it looks like it's actually worth extending the house roof to the wall. No difficult sealing jobs then.

You'll need a gutter to stop the roof water going outside your boundary.

If you use some glass blocks to raise the wall that should let light in and keep the weather and beasties out.

I would consider some steel verticals on simple concrete footings at the wall end to avoid loading the wall, they're never very well supported.

^Yeah.  Connecting your structure to the wall is not a good idea.  Maybe use the same dimensions as that room extending out next to the area you want to cover?  Then, no need for gutters unless you worry about splash.  And, don't know about your mum, but in my experience, a Thai kitchen can be covered but NOT enclosed.

I will concur about not using that boundary wall.

What you may not appreciate is that to extend the existing roofline, the boundary wall would need to be built up about 1m, not very practical on a wall already touching two metres high in typical post and block construction. Any lean to or extended rafters would put lateral load force on the wall and it would collapse without a few tie beams.

So that rules out a glass block option.

I am familiar with Cheerybles job here and have been trying to persuade him to maintain a 600/900 access pathway between the boundary wall and a new independent wall structure to carry the lean to.

There are currently water services running along the boundary wall line and at some future point we also discussed potential new drainage runs from said bathroom and kitchen

Having a lean to roof at a lower level is no big deal really, quite rightly a bearer needs to be planted on the back wall and thereafter if you are lucky to find a sheet roof profile that has a compatible flashing cap (flat at the back, profiled at the front) then the job is easy.

Thanx for all input most useful with your three brains and my half a brain the picture is getting clearer.

Mr Eye-catcher has been for a visit today and we were talking about an inner wall closer to the house as mentioned my Bankrupt and Eye-catcher. It would make the lean to add on about 2m wide.....still a useful space.

I will go looking to see if my main roof metal sheet has a corresponding translucent equivalent and if there's a "flashing" profile for where the lean to roof will meet the wall.

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that you are not to build to within 3m of a boundary wall.

I'm sure I'm wrong but that is the main reason all my agri buildings are 3m+ from the fence line. Probably different for residential buildings anyway.

12 hours ago, grollies said:

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that you are not to build to within 3m of a boundary wall.

I'm sure I'm wrong but that is the main reason all my agri buildings are 3m+ from the fence line. Probably different for residential buildings anyway.

Not 3 metres but 2 and a different distance if there are no windows in the house wall facing the boundary wall but an absolute prohibition on allowing rain water from the roof to flow over the wall, and probably even through or under it as well.

Not sure of the exact requirements but we OK'd with the tesabahn for the house.
Naturally if we do put a lightweight lean to structure up we will deal with our own rainwater, and in any case the land is an orchard only and the owner friends with our family. He should also be very happy to get a free wall.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Not sure of the exact requirements but we OK'd with the tesabahn for the house.
Naturally if we do put a lightweight lean to structure up we will deal with our own rainwater, and in any case the land is an orchard only and the owner friends with our family. He should also be very happy to get a free wall.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I wouldn't bet on it.

Archived