Buddhist Forum

DeDanan

Do we want a "Buddhist View" Forum?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First I would like to see a dedicated forum for Buddhism Q&A,

We have 14 different topics in the general area. There is room for the Buddha in here.

Directly or indirectly Buddhism IS going to have an influence on your future if you plan to spend any length of time in LoS.

We all have questions, give us the room to express and discuss our views in a Buddhist / Farang Forum.

Up to you!

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is already a lot written on this forum about Islam, which counts for the religion of only about 6 percent of the population in Thailand and this mostly in a corner in Southern Thailand, which is rarely visited by foreigners.

Why not to post more about Buddhism, which is almost everywhere present in whole Thailand?

Johann

I am all for it, there is nothing to prevent one from posting on the topic. If there is going to be enough interest, maybe think about a 'Buddhist Forum'.

Sorry, I will be busy moving apartment for the next few days, so my absence will not be out of lack of interest. Good luck!

My vote is no. I will explain why I vote no.

I think that a forum in Buddhism is not inclusive enough. I would have it on "Philosophy and Religion." This way more things can be discussed besides strictly Buddism.

You could argue that in certain sense I am voting yes. Ok. Fine. However my point is that we should not exclude then more general theological topics that are of the same nature than Buddism.

I replied no.

For two reasons.

1. Most of us do not know budhism and will probably answer in some ways that could offend people.

2. Budhism is a religion and as such is a very emotional subject. People in their majority have very little control of their emotions when religion is concerned. It could lead to another bearpit or worse,...

My opinion only.

I replied no.

For two reasons.

1. Most of us do not know budhism and will probably answer in some ways that could offend people.

2. Budhism is a religion and as such is a very emotional subject. People in their majority have very little control of their emotions when religion is concerned. It could lead to another bearpit or worse,...

My opinion only.

People staying in Thailand for a long time MUST learn about Buddhism, even if they don't want to: just being with and talking to people of that religion must educate even the thickest farang with a bit of knowledge about Buddhism.

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn. But, as with everything you read on the Internet, it is just other peoples words - it is up to you who you believe about anything, not just religion.

People staying in Thailand for a long time MUST learn about Buddhism, even if they don't want to: just being with and talking to people of that religion must educate even the thickest farang with a bit of knowledge about Buddhism.

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn.

Not so sure, RDN.

A lot of the people writing here do not live in Thailand.

And saying that the ones who stay here MUST learn about Buddhism sounds a bit like, well, what has been heard from many other religions,...

Besides, what do you mean by learning?

Learning and convincing are two totally different matters.

And I'm not sure where you stand in that respect,...

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn.

Unfortunately, offence leads to MORE offence.

As much as you do not like it and I don't, this is the way it is.

And very often leads to "destructive" postings,...

Not so sure, Sonthaya.

A lot of the people writing here do not live in Thailand.

And saying that the ones who stay here MUST learn about Buddhism sounds a bit like, well, what has been heard from many other religions,...

Besides, what do you mean by learning?

Learning and convincing are two totally different matters.

And I'm not sure where you stand in that respect,...

When I said "MUST learn" I meant "can't help but learn". So, just being here and talking to Thai people, you cannot stop yourself learning something about Buddhism. I did not mean it to sound as if you are obliged to learn. Sorry for the unclear English. And this was directed at people who stay here for a long time.

Sure, "learning" and "convincing" are different, but it can't do any harm to talk about religion, surely?

but it can't do any harm to talk about religion, surely?

Is religion more powerful than politics?

Sure it is by a wide margin.

Is talking about politics harmful?

No, of course, just "boring" for the people who are not concerned.

And hateful for the people who are concerned,...

What will it be with religion?

We go one step further.

I'm right, you're wrong.

I believe, you don't.

But in a very, very big way.

In a "godlike" way.

Does not accept or deserve any criticism.

Whatever the religion.

We can try.

Up to you, George,...

Yes, let's learn more about Buddishm, the only non violent faith I can think of........

The history of Thailand shows, that this is not true.

Buddhist Thais fought cruel wars as aggressors and tortured prisoners, even helpless small children and pregnant women in a horrible way.

This was noticed and reported by the crews of British warships, especially by Sherard Osborn 1838. He wrote: the Siamese have shown their policy of terror, extermination, torture and atrocity.

His report contains a description of various acts of cruelty, including cooking human beings alive. He writes of unspeakable pain, and questioned because of these acts of cruelty for which side the British had to fight for.

The only not violent faith?

Better check Thai history first, before writing that down....

By the way, also Christianity and Islam are claiming to be non-violent.....

Johann

I replied no.

For two reasons.

My opinion only.

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn. But, as with everything you read on the Internet, it is just other peoples words - it is up to you who you believe about anything, not just religion.

Absolutely! Everyone who desires to be comfortable in Thailand must understand Buddhism. Since it's a non-judgemental religion, don't feel it will offend anyone if we discuss various aspects of it us Farang don't understand. :o

Since it's a non-judgemental religion, don't feel it will offend anyone if we discuss various aspects of it us Farang don't understand. :o

Come on, Boon mee.

NO religion is non-judgemental.

The basic principle of religion is JUDGEMENT.

What you do right and what you do wrong,...

And what you will gain by doing "right" or "wrong".

Human nature, I guess, again,...

I do not think, there is much difference between a discussion about Christianity, Islam, Hindu and Buddhism.

All are claiming they are different from the others and are claiming therefore only they are the true religion....

Therefore endless discussions....No result possible.....

How many Farang know, for example, not to put their feet out in the direction of a Monk?

If you are a Buddhist, you should know, and if you are not a Buddhist, why should you care?

As a Buddhist, you should exercise to tolerate the feet of the farang, as there are many feet in this world and not only the feet of the Buddhist.

You should not complain, as Buddhism is a religion of self discipline, tolerance and non-violence.

As a Buddhist, therefore you should exercise to tolerate not only the feet of the farang, but the farang as a whole -

This might help a Buddhist for deeper understanding of his own religion.

Johann

Sorry Yohan I think you're missing the point.

I don't think the suggestion for a forum on Buddhism was as an attempt to convert anyone. It is simply true that Buddhism has defined the Thai culture, and as an expat in LOS, it is to your advantage to understand that culture.

If you become an expat in the middle east (outside of Isreal of course) then you would need to understand the way Islam defines the culture there in exactly the same way.

I think it would be useful to understand our hosts, what defines their culture and way of life. I see a lot of questions arising on this forum, many repetative, since I 've been a member that simply come down to our lack of understanding of the Thai and their culture.

I also think that whether the Siamese were good Buddhists or not historically is of little relevence. The religion has defined a lot of what is Thai, but older Thai Animism and culture has also had an impression on Thai Buddhism too. For example, eating meat, house spirits, horoscopes, spirit trees - all from Animism. All that could be part of the suggested forum, and information that could help us understand the Thai physch.

If my understanding is wrong, and the original poster was after a doctoring forum, then - no, we don't need it, plenty of Theravada Buddhist site out there for learning.

I also don't think you can compare Buddhism to Islam or Christianity - both of these are separatist faiths. They want to convert - true religion or off to he77 you go. Buddha was an athiest (go on flame me!) - he believed the way you lived your life was important to you and to all others, he never said "believe in me and you'll get to heaven...bla bla bla", he said "get rid of your desires, your wants and anxieties, and you'll be happy". It is entirely possible to be a Buddhist and still follow another faith as Buddhism is a way of life, a set of guides (not rules or laws). There are no "Thou Shalt Not"'s in Buddhism - there are "if you don't do this (eg steal) then in the long run you will be happier and so will others".

Buddhism is the ONLY main stream religion not to have a holly war. Why? because it makes no sense. How can war make you happy? How can it make others happy? By forcing others to follow your religion, you are craving, and oppressing - both bad things in Buddhism. There is no "Kill the unbeliever".

Don't mean to preach, but statements like some of the above shows that some of you do not understand the basic tenant of the religion, which is definatly part of the Thai physch - that is where non-confrontation comes from, and must hamper your understanding of Thais.

I'm a Thai and used to be a monk and studied in Buddhist for two years.

I have a question for you guys.

Why most of people always laught or smile when they feel happy?

Why most of people always cry when they feel so sad?

cheers

boran :o

I also think that whether the Siamese were good Buddhists or not historically is of little relevence.

Buddhism is the ONLY main stream religion not to have a holly war. Why? because it makes no sense. How can war make you happy? How can it make others happy? By forcing others to follow your religion, you are craving, and oppressing - both bad things in Buddhism. There is no "Kill the unbeliever". 

I am sorry, but I do not share your opinion.

I think, history can be called somewhat a mirror....

There were cruel wars of aggression by Thai Buddhists in the past.

Everybody who was not a Thai Buddhist, was tortured and killed - in a way of terror and atrocity, unknown by Christians and Moslems...

The ones, who survived, were kept as slaves....

Slavery in Thailand was abolished 1905..... not such a long time ago....

And this should make - using your own words - the others happy?

And by the way, there is no -kill the unbeliever- in Islam....even an Iranian Mullah will confirm you that. It is against Islam, to kill an innocent person, regardless of his religion.

Comparing the history, I do not think, the Buddhists are the better ones....

And by the way, the Japanese Buddhists were quite nice to the Protestant British prisoners of war in Thailand.....

Johann

We smile/Laugh when we are happy, because as humans that is the way our brains choose to express that particular emotion. We are a group species and therefore important to show our family group what mood we are in.

Crying is noisy and attracts our mother's attention when we are young. It becomes more stiffled as we mature as it is less important.

I suppose this is not the answer you were after however.

:o

Why most of people always laught or smile when they feel happy?

Why most of people always cry when they feel so sad?

The answer is, you express your own (egoistic) feelings....

without considering the others, whose circumstances might be the reason, why you smile or cry.

It is not relevant, if you are alone, or in a group like with family members.

If you gain an advantage, you will smile, even if another human will suffer because of it.

If you lost a chance, you will cry, even if your missed chance will bring happiness to another person..

Johann

How many Farang know, for example, not to put their feet out in the direction of a Monk?

If you are a Buddhist, you should know, and if you are not a Buddhist, why should you care?

My point exactly! If you live in Thailand, married to a local you are going to encounter Buddhist Monks at some point in your life. You should be familiar with the customs...duh... :o