BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
DeDanan

Buddhist Forum

Do we want a "Buddhist View" Forum?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First I would like to see a dedicated forum for Buddhism Q&A,

We have 14 different topics in the general area. There is room for the Buddha in here.

Directly or indirectly Buddhism IS going to have an influence on your future if you plan to spend any length of time in LoS.

We all have questions, give us the room to express and discuss our views in a Buddhist / Farang Forum.

Up to you!

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

Good luck with it DeDanan. I will look in from time to time to ensure nobody hijacks the thread. PM George, Huski or me if you run into problems.

There is already a lot written on this forum about Islam, which counts for the religion of only about 6 percent of the population in Thailand and this mostly in a corner in Southern Thailand, which is rarely visited by foreigners.

Why not to post more about Buddhism, which is almost everywhere present in whole Thailand?

Johann

I am all for it, there is nothing to prevent one from posting on the topic. If there is going to be enough interest, maybe think about a 'Buddhist Forum'.

Sorry, I will be busy moving apartment for the next few days, so my absence will not be out of lack of interest. Good luck!

My vote is no. I will explain why I vote no.

I think that a forum in Buddhism is not inclusive enough. I would have it on "Philosophy and Religion." This way more things can be discussed besides strictly Buddism.

You could argue that in certain sense I am voting yes. Ok. Fine. However my point is that we should not exclude then more general theological topics that are of the same nature than Buddism.

Yes, let's learn more about Buddishm, the only non violent faith I can think of, and if we have to live in Thailand it's good to know what's all about.

I'm all for it. As been said, it sure beats talking about Vegimite, Erco et.al. :o

I replied no.

For two reasons.

1. Most of us do not know budhism and will probably answer in some ways that could offend people.

2. Budhism is a religion and as such is a very emotional subject. People in their majority have very little control of their emotions when religion is concerned. It could lead to another bearpit or worse,...

My opinion only.

I replied no.

For two reasons.

1. Most of us do not know budhism and will probably answer in some ways that could offend people.

2. Budhism is a religion and as such is a very emotional subject. People in their majority have very little control of their emotions when religion is concerned. It could lead to another bearpit or worse,...

My opinion only.

People staying in Thailand for a long time MUST learn about Buddhism, even if they don't want to: just being with and talking to people of that religion must educate even the thickest farang with a bit of knowledge about Buddhism.

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn. But, as with everything you read on the Internet, it is just other peoples words - it is up to you who you believe about anything, not just religion.

People staying in Thailand for a long time MUST learn about Buddhism, even if they don't want to: just being with and talking to people of that religion must educate even the thickest farang with a bit of knowledge about Buddhism.

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn.

Not so sure, RDN.

A lot of the people writing here do not live in Thailand.

And saying that the ones who stay here MUST learn about Buddhism sounds a bit like, well, what has been heard from many other religions,...

Besides, what do you mean by learning?

Learning and convincing are two totally different matters.

And I'm not sure where you stand in that respect,...

And even if talking (posting on this forum) about it DOES offend some people, there will always be someone else to correct the offensive views that are put, allowing all readers to learn.

Unfortunately, offence leads to MORE offence.

As much as you do not like it and I don't, this is the way it is.

And very often leads to "destructive" postings,...

Not so sure, Sonthaya.

A lot of the people writing here do not live in Thailand.

And saying that the ones who stay here MUST learn about Buddhism sounds a bit like, well, what has been heard from many other religions,...

Besides, what do you mean by learning?

Learning and convincing are two totally different matters.

And I'm not sure where you stand in that respect,...

When I said "MUST learn" I meant "can't help but learn". So, just being here and talking to Thai people, you cannot stop yourself learning something about Buddhism. I did not mean it to sound as if you are obliged to learn. Sorry for the unclear English. And this was directed at people who stay here for a long time.

Sure, "learning" and "convincing" are different, but it can't do any harm to talk about religion, surely?