Water quality in Thai & water filters? Berkey Water filters Thailand?

Arnold B

Hello everyone!  I been looking into water filters here in Thailand and wanted to ask.  Does anyone use Berkey Water filters here ?

We just moved to Bangkok from UK few months ago and i been doing some research and i see that the quality on the water here in Bangkok is quite ok now.

Tap water is supposed to be drinkable now according to the government.  (Quite not the same it was 10 years ago!) -  We have a Big Berkey waterfilter back home in UK and been using it for almost 5 years now and it's amazing.   I see they are sold here in Thailand at www.berkey-waterfilters.asia  so i wanted to ask u are anyone using waterfilters here or does everyone buy bottled water ?        Also....... Does anyone drink the normal tap water ?  Is it ok?

All the best!  Arnold B 

Hey John  Yeah they are great too !  U use Reverse Omosis ?
My next one will be RO and UV, for now I filter then boil....but still buy bottled "drinking water"
In the UK I drank water straight from the tap even with Victorian lead pipes...here I'm a bit more weary of the implementation/enforcement of "international high standards"

Water in Bangkok at most locations has been safe to drink for decades - when I was here in 1979 US Embassy medical unit had testing done and tap water was consistently better quality that bottled water of that period.  The issue was low pressure making the chance of contamination possible at point of use.  That has greatly improved but most people still buy bottled water (much higher quality these days) or use some filtration.  We use RO and find it removes bad tastes and is easy and not expensive.  

In Bangkok water is continually tested at all pumping locations and information on web.

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Asking for trouble if you drink from the tap here. Sure the water may be potable from the source, but after traveling through the piping and picking up god knows what? 

Go ahead if you feel like it, but I use a small Reverse Osmosis/UV kit for the house drinking water. 

Just be aware that RO creates waste water. Something like 30%. 

I use something like this in the house for drinking water:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/colandas-reverse-osmosis-50-gpd-i398363-s425645.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.677b2663qkdqKf&search=1

Thanks for this.   I been comparing both RO and Berkey and i choose Berkey for sure as Berkey is more ''natural'' way to filters the water and does not change the water in any way.  Only removes the bad stuff 

But i know RO is great too 

thanks for the map!   Will look into this

1 hour ago, Arnold B said:

Thanks for this.   I been comparing both RO and Berkey and i choose Berkey for sure as Berkey is more ''natural'' way to filters the water and does not change the water in any way.  Only removes the bad stuff 

But i know RO is great too 

thanks for the map!   Will look into this

You should certainly read an independent opinion on the berkey system and ask your self why the company is not testing to NSF/ANSI standards  this is one Berkey review

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You should certainly read an independent opinion on the berkey system and ask your self why the company is not testing to NSF/ANSI standards  this is one Berkey review

Thanks for this.  But there are many reviews like this against almost all the big waterfilter companies.  I do not take these independent reviews seriously.  On the official Berkey site are many real lab tests from official labs in USA and more countries.    - They are trustworthy and reliable.

But thanks for the link ????

Im not promoting this product in any way.  Simply have one myself and like it.  

Also most health sites and comparision sites do recommend the Big Berkeys and RO systems.

Before i had a jug Brita.   Many years ago.   Can't compare the quality as they are not as effective.

2 hours ago, Arnold B said:

On the official Berkey site are many real lab tests from official labs in USA and more countries.    - They are trustworthy and reliable.

Without testing to independent NSF/ANSI standards or an equivalent testing regime, the lab tests are valueless. The lab tests you refer to are paid for buy the company with the extents of the testing specifications set by the company.

Just look at the Monsanto testing that shows that dioxins do not cause cancer in humans for an example of how lab test can and do lie by omission and by carful selection of what and how test are done.

Also which is fake, your name or your photo 

Archived