BANGKOK 24 January 2019 03:16
watgate

Air quality in chiang mai currently

I realize their already is a topic for smoke and pollution but decided to post here to try and get some immediate feedback concerning the current situation of smoke and pollution in chiang mai. I have been experiencing problems with my breathing this year in chiang mai and it started about 1 month ago. I have been coming here for the past 9 years and arrived this year in May. This is the first year where it has hit me hard and I finished off a course of antibiotics and other assorted meds about 1 month ago and I was feeling better. Now, again I am coughing and spewing up stuff from my lungs and most likely have developed another infection in my lungs. I am concerned about long term effects of the lack of air quality in chang mai and the detrimental effects in has on your lungs and breathing. A guy at the gym I go to who has only been in chiang mai for a few weeks has told me he is having problems with his breathing and can smell smoke. He also said other farangs in the hotel where he is staying are also experiencing problems with their breathing. I always thought the air started to deteriorate in January due to the burning and it gets progressively worse as the burning intensifies and the end of January and February and March are very bad due to all the burning that is going on in Thailand and SE Asia. My g/f is trying to tell me to go get some meds at a pharmacy and I will feel better in a few days but I am thinking that this is only masking the problem and not dealing with the root cause of my breathing problems. I guess if I had a car and lived in a place with a/c  and spent a lot of time in a/c  malls you could maybe escape some of the pollution but then you would be a captive to the pollution. I have always enjoyed coming to chiang mai to spend time with my g/f but am worried about ruining my health due to this incessant pollution in chiang mai. Is the air quality bad now in chiang mai? I am having to reconsider my future plans going forward and am thinking of  going to Isan for a couple of months to get away from this air pollution. I was wondering what other folks think and if they are experiencing any health related problems associated with the air quality in chiang mai?

Personally I think it's good at present but there certainly was a smoke smell in the air around the 9/10th but that's now passed. I am in the city so experiences out of town may differ.

If you are concerned about your health have an evacuation plan in place for mid February but Isaan or anywhere else in northern parts of Thailand, Burma and India will not necessarily offer any cleaner air.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MalandLee said:

Ignore these and dozens more reports like them at your peril :-

Those reports are from March and very few if any who live here deny that March and April the air is absolutely deplorable and anyone/everyone who can get out of here does so but the point of the initial post was present air conditions here. To me it's absolutely fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, watgate said:

decided to post here to try and get some immediate feedback concerning the current situation of smoke and pollution in chiang mai

It really depends where you are exactly. There is local burning going on since the rains stopped. There has also been local burning going on during the rainy season, whenever there was a big enough interval to allow that.

The air quality is undoubtedly worse than this time in previous years, but that is what you would expect from a city that has been growing hyperactively for the past few years. This is unconnected to the smoky season.

People who stay mostly in the center might not realize how the outer ring roads have been upgraded and how many new condo blocks and gated housing estates have been springing up in previously empty spaces. Development has been radiating outwards to the North, East and South.

Most of those people have cars and, even before the high season hit, traffic jams were becoming more common. Now you find that some journeys that used to take ten minutes take over an hour, and all those trapped cars sit there, belching out pollution.

The new base level of pollution in this city comes from different sources than the smoky season, but it will, of course, compound it. My lung health is good, so, I only leave during the truly dangerous period (mid-January to mid-April / Songkran), but if I was having any sort of lung problems, even just recovering from an infection earlier in the year, I would not stay in any Asian city.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

We noticed the burning has got off to an early start 2 weeks ago on the Samoeng loop Rd.Just indiviuals raking and burning mostly leaves in at least 6 different locations.Yes its stupid but put it down to ignorance/lack of rural education.All our leaves go into a compost heap.Composting seems an unknown method that is beneficial once its returned to the soil.

To me its also been an unusually "hot" winter so far and a distinct lack of breeze.That doesnt help as CM geographically lies in a bowl affect,once the smog settles it just doesnt go away. 

• Like 1

If you check the AQI of various places it looks like CM is not doing badly yet. For example CM is currently on a 56 score, Singapore 75, New York NY 57, London 57, New Delhi 227, Beijing 73 & Tokyo 37.

It will be fascinating to see how this develops in the burning season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Where my friends is perfect in this world?

In a quiet mind that forgets perfection.

~o:37;

2 hours ago, brommers said:

It will be fascinating to see how this develops in the burning season.

Just make sure you are fascinatedly watching how it develops from somewhere safe, far away.

For maximum schadenfreude, be sure to enjoy how all the posters who spend the rest of the year downplaying how bad the smoky season is on all the forums and Chiang Mai Facebook groups, suddenly disappear once it actually kicks in 😄

17 minutes ago, donnacha said:

For maximum schadenfreude, be sure to enjoy how all the posters who spend the rest of the year downplaying how bad the smoky season is on all the forums and Chiang Mai Facebook groups, suddenly disappear once it actually kicks in 😄

I'm just hoping for a bit of dry weather, never mind the smoke.

Raining again today!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1