Air quality in chiang mai currently

watgate

6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

So here's a question regarding the PM2.5 particles: do ordinary cloth/paper masks deny those tiny particles entry into my lungs?  Sure, the masks will stop the big things but 2.5 microns is pretty darn small and might sneak through the weave of the mask.

No, you need an N95 type mask to deal with PM2.5 particles, the kind of masks that 3M sells here in Thailand.  The regular paper masks won't do anything to prevent the inhalation of PM2.5.

44 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

the particulate matter 2.5 microns or under is the indicator to look at.

Its seems fairly consistently in the ‘moderate’ range.

PM2.5 levels in the "moderate" range on the AQI scale wouldn't normally be expected to cause the kind of respiratory problems cited by the OP. At least for a normal health person without any other underlying health issues.

Moderate is an even lower level of air pollution that the "unhealthy for sensitive people" level.

7 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

So here's a question regarding the PM2.5 particles: do ordinary cloth/paper masks deny those tiny particles entry into my lungs?  Sure, the masks will stop the big things but 2.5 microns is pretty darn small and might sneak through the weave of the mask.

No....there are special masks for PM 2.5

pharma choice sell them

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PM2.5 levels in the "moderate" range on the AQI scale wouldn't normally be expected to cause the kind of respiratory problems cited by the OP. At least for a normal health person without any other underlying health issues.

Moderate is an even lower level of air pollution that the "unhealthy for sensitive people" level.

I’m not happy with long term exposure to ‘Moderate’ personally.

1 hour ago, mikey88 said:

I’m not happy with long term exposure to ‘Moderate’ personally.

Nor am I, personally. I spend most of my time indoors at home (including sleeping, of course), and I use HEPA air purifiers there to keep the indoor air well into the good range, and usually around 0-5 micrograms, which is an AQI of about 17 or under. That range is the lower/best half of the "good" range.

When I'm outdoors, however, I'll generally accept anything in the good to moderate range of AQI. And if it gets into the unhealthy for sensitive people range, than's when I'll start wearing a N95 mask while outdoors. But that's just my personal preference and habit for dealing with air pollution here.

Archived