Toyota GPS

poppysdad

Don't know if its just me or is the above a law unto itself. I live in Hua Hin but often go to Bangkok for a day trip or overnights sometimes and about 6 months ago i bought the top spec CHR. Trying to input anywhere on its GPS seems to be a nightmare,I have 3 GPS apps on my iPhone and can input and find just about anywhere in a few seconds but after 2 hours the other day i almost ripped it out of the car on just trying to input the hotel i had booked, my iPhone app had it in seconds. A few weeks ago had booked a night in the Holiday Inn in Silom, every combination of it resulted in a cannot find and by accident i eventually put in Si Lom and suddenly there it was. Now i know doubt someone will say that is the correct spelling but surely the GPS should have found the holiday inn alone. Another example is the development where i live - it doesn't exist according to Toyota although every other GPS finds it, so i mark the spot as home when I'm parked and it comes up with a name prefix that nobody has ever seen or heard of.

Bottom line is it seems to be letter specific with no intelligence and maps are probably a poor translation from Thai to English (which doesn't affect my phone apps in the slightest). When i do rarely succeed in inputting a destination it works with excellence, so is it me or can someone point me in the right direction with it and yes I do have the English instruction manual which sits on my knee as i try.

I recomment you install "google search" on your car. Then you can search the location with that and then transfer the location to the Onboard Navigation.

I also had my problems somtimes to find the desired location, especially when you only have a name of a spot and not the exact location with street name.

With the google search app (you need internet, this I do with WiFi sharing from my phone) so I can use the google engine to find the place I want.. and then the app give the coordinates to the Navigation onboard system. This works always.

Bye the Way, even when searching with thai letters I not always can find the place, if I only have the name of the spot. So I don't think it's a problem of poor translation as more of the onboard navi not have that many places availabe.

12 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Unfortunately the C-HR doesn’t come with apple CarPlay but has Toyota tConnect. Perhaps something in there but will use my iPhone which makes it all very simple although quite ludicrous as well that I need too.

Wow I am surprised that it didn't come with Apple CarPlay. I guess Toyota is still using Fujitsu Ten for their systems and those might work well in Japan (logical street names, addressed, etc), but they don't really work here.

Not in a Toyo, but i have Apple CarPlay.. Dont know how it works, dealer set it for me. As i sit down before engine fire up, the dash reads I phone now connected. Hows it do that ?, its in my pocket turned off.!. You have to turn on Maps, ,but then it tells you directions without ever using a screen, In fact all that Air Craft Gizmo  stuff built in never gets used. That annoys me a bit, you cant say you dont want it and get a fair few Beer Tokes back.

All of Toyo Sat Navs seem to be different in every lump. I have found I don't have a problem with mine. Either put in Hotel or other places you want. Or address. Press OK and go, and it comes up With either a selection of the hotels if their are more than 1 of them or address.

The only thing that I find annoying is the Blue tooth as that seems to pick up my phone even when it's about 60 feet away. The times I have left the Tank in the cleaning place gone for a coffee and cant use the phone as it goes strait to the Tanks set up and blanks my phone. (That's if they are moving it)

One of the good things I like, is the auto large split screen when you get near to your destination.

I normally use address first then when I get near to destination press on accommodation nearby and then press go on that. Must admit though that it can be a bit of a bugger having to faff about till you get the set up to your satisfaction. 

At first couldn't work the thing much to complicated so Toyo set a man to my house to clue me up on same. Top marks Toyo on that.

7 minutes ago, Matt the Cat said:

you can't search POIs or choose a destination without stopping the vehicle! I suppose "unusable" would be the correct term

I think they call that safety restrictions, which seemingly are wasted on you.

Do you also send sms messages or post on TV while driving the car?

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes it's for safety.

But often I have my wife sit next to me and she could search for the spot, while I am driving out.

OK, I have a button to switch off this safety restriction, so my wife is able to search for the spot while driving. But after the search have to switch the safety feature on again, because for some reason the navigation is not working properly while this safety feature is set off.

21 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Hand-eye coordination is a challenge for you? Maybe they should limit you to 80kph maximum or the engine cuts off and the alarm and emergency signals go off just to keep us safe from you. ???? Of course, I don't send sms messages or post on TV while driving the car. DUH! Do you close your eyes? Odd my Gamin doesn't have that function. Maybe I should I complain? ????

hampik.

Tried your suggestions and as going away touring up north tomorrow found our first destination on Google, found the map coordinates and entered them into the Toyota GPS.

Doesn't want to know about it so after a thorough read of the manual once again it would appear that if coordinates don't tally with a destination already in the system then you cannot input any.

What absolute nonsense this system is so my iPhone maps will be getting heavy useage  over the next few days.

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

hampik.

Tried your suggestions and as going away touring up north tomorrow found our first destination on Google, found the map coordinates and entered them into the Toyota GPS.

Doesn't want to know about it so after a thorough read of the manual once again it would appear that if coordinates don't tally with a destination already in the system then you cannot input any.

What absolute nonsense this system is so my iPhone maps will be getting heavy useage  over the next few days.

Sorry, there is a small misunderstanding. You have to download the google app on the Toyota system. and then search the spot with this google app. With this app you have the option to transfer the information the the the navigation system.

With the coordinates I think they messed it up. I just tried it once to enter, and somehow i had to swap the coordinates. So with the google app on the car system it works, as I can find some places with the onboard system was not able to find.

Hope this info helps...

If you want all the apps you can get on a smart fone, get rid of the factory garbage (this goes for all brands) and install an Android based system. Updates keep all the apps current, and no waiting for the auto maker to get off their backside and update, which will be outdated anyway.

Did this on our Teana, about 20K, and very pleased. Touch screen just like a smart fone.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If you want all the apps you can get on a smart fone, get rid of the factory garbage (this goes for all brands) and install an Android based system. Updates keep all the apps current, and no waiting for the auto maker to get off their backside and update, which will be outdated anyway.

Did this on our Teana, about 20K, and very pleased. Touch screen just like a smart fone.

Or just use Android Auto or Apple Carplay...Works fine in my civic.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:22 PM, JoeW said:

Or just use Android Auto or Apple Carplay...Works fine in my civic.

Impossible with a Toyota factory Satnav.

I think Toyota is the only manufacturer in the world who doesnt have Apple carplay or Android Auto.

It's beyond my understanding why they dont listen to their customers and the biggest Downside of a Toyota Vehicle.

As far as i know Toyota refuses to equip their cars with one of these Systems because they want to use their own System.

Update:

Finaly Toyota jumps on the Android Auto train after years of pushing back on it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-auto-finally-coming-toyota-vehicles

But i think it will take a couple of years until it land in Thailand too.

• 3 weeks later...

What sunscreen do you have? Toyota fit standard sunscreen. They do not fit sunscreen that is meant for GPS's. I had this problem a few years back. They fitted the sunscreen but my it wasn't compatible with their GPS. I contacted HQ Toyota BKK and complained my GPS was not working it was them that asked me about the sunscreen.

Cutting this short. My local dealers would not help me and said they do not stock the sunscreen that is compatible. Only option I had was to have the sunscreen removed from my windscreen and have sunscreen fitted that is compatible with GPS. Standard sunscreen has metal in it which interferes with the signal and causes the GPS to not function properly. 

^^^ as said above, you must replace the entire head unit. Rip out the factory junk.

Depending on if you choose to replace speakers also, 20K baht will have it set up and working just fine.

For antennae - mount on the roof. Shark Fin models available, run wiring under trim to head unit.

Window tint can stay as it is.

Been in a lot of new cars - all their head units are cheap pieces of manure.

Archived