Warning about fancy lights as 10 year old electrocuted in Thailand's north east

webfact

Warning about fancy lights as 10 year old electrocuted in Thailand's north east

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A ten year old boy out admiring the New Year lights in Nakhon Phanom was lucky to live after being electrocuted on the banks of the Mekong River. 

Thai Rath reported that the youngster is recovering in Nakhon Phanom hospital. 

The family called on the authorities in the city to check electrical installations such as fancy lights. 

Provincial governor Siam Sirimongkhon ordered his minions to carry out inspections. 

And he reminded the public not to let their children wander off into restricted areas. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-11

Very nice that the governor warned the parents to act responsibly. Very nice indeed. Are these restricted areas  indicated or roped off etc.? Or should we just act on the basis that any public display  featuring wires and electrical fixtures is a no go zone and we should avoid such places?

As I note in every one of these similar topics. RCDs save lives!

I opened this thread with trepidation, "electrocuted" usually means death is involved. At least the little one didn't die, this time.

We have loads of these mains powered LED lights, well out of reach except for the tree (which is in the dry), all are on a 10mA RCBO obtained for the purpose. As safe as I can make them in the absence of sensibly priced low-voltage lights.

Now lets hope the kid will recover soon so he can enjoy a motobike trip without a helmet.   Accidents waiting to happen, you're lucky if you can live to 40 in this country  . 

These " Party" , "Christmas", "Xmass", "Kareoke" lights are  sold all over the world. 

As ungrounded electrical systems  any  combination  with wet  areas,  inquisitive  children , ignorant  parents, more ignorant officianados who  request  unprotected installations the outcome  is  not a problem with  the product. Stupidity is what  makes lives cheap.

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I totally agree but how about this I witnessed and photographed in Kanchanaburi:-

image.thumb.png.ea6f7897e1ed57a069983b5ca446209f.png

Must be something about Kanchanaburi, where I live, as this is the wiring outside of our local Post Office, which is currently being renovated after a major fire......caused by an electrical fault!

FB_IMG_15445340757711173.jpg

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Very nice that the governor warned the parents to act responsibly. Very nice indeed. Are these restricted areas  indicated or roped off etc.? Or should we just act on the basis that any public display  featuring wires and electrical fixtures is a no go zone and we should avoid such places?

Yesterday, I visited a market in Hua Hin, just off the main road in which there were several boxes of electrical sockets for the stall-holders to use, none of which had lids (doors) on them, and being just a bit more than a metre off the ground, they were all exposed to young kids, adults and to rainfall.  Everybody knows the danger they represent, including the officials who permit the market to take place there and presumably provide the sockets, but of course nothing will be done until someone gets electrocuted.  I have reported similar incidents particularly in hotels I have stayed at, but on subsequent visits found that absolutely nothing had been done about it. Clearly, they want to await the first electrocution before bothering to take any action.

22 minutes ago, madusa said:

All the while I thought they were using the battery operated low voltage for those lights. The live wires will kill many people if it is raining and the wire fell to the floor wouldn't it?

Yes, but who cares?   Just wait until it happens, then form a committee to decide what to do.

Archived