Thinking about leaving LOS for PI - Might be worth thinking again...

Mike Teavee

As I've posted previously, I'm a big fan of the Philippines (Especially Davao) & it has always been among my "Plan B" countries if for any reason Thailand doesn't work out , but just came across a post on a Philippine board that means it may have slipped to the "Plan C" countries.... 

I'm not sure if it's ok to post the link so I've copied it below (hope this is OK) & added some comments alongside the key points).... 

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

• Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
  • Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
  • Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
  • Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
  • New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa- [MTV] Speechless
  • Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
  • Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
  • Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
  • Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
  • Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter, 

18 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing unreasonable in the    regulations  indicated. The only people who will be inconvenienced will be those intent on seeking prostitutes or  enaging in unlawful acts. it's about time the PI cleaned up its country and rid itself of the   foreign deviants.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my post was meant to highlight the upcoming changes that moves the Philippines to having similar requirements as the ones that I see people complaining most about in Thailand e.g...

• Having to have the money in the bank - It looks like you will now need to do this in PI
  • Having to do Address reporting - it looks like you will now need to do this in PI
  • Inconsistent / "Unknown" Immigration Offices - Looks like you will now have this in the PI

I agree with you partly about cleaning up the prostitution but as somebody who believes an adult should have the right to choose for themselves would like to see it legalized rather than being banned - I do think this opens the door to a lot of Scams/Stings e.g. Meet a girl on DIA, go out for dinner, go back to your room, police bust in and accuse you of being with a prostitute, pay the "Fine" or out on your backside you go.

None of these changes would greatly impact me personally (I would go the $20k in the Bank Route & can't remember the last time I spent more than 2 months in any country without visiting somewhere else, and Tax Clearance wouldn't be an issue) , but Never say Never (I could have married my Filippina gf of 8 years, fallen out with her or something and she decides that I'm not supporting her so out I go).

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Philippine board that means it may have slipped to the "Plan C" countries

The Philippines is still a choice by UK ex's because uk gov pension not frozen.

Vietnam seems favorite for plan 'C' I hear.

Deportable offenses:

engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude"

OMG
for being rude? Feel bad for those that went there because thailand didn't "love" them. I bet they regret it now

Looks like the only poor alternative is Vietnam

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Deportable offenses:

engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude"

OMG
for being rude? Feel bad for those that went there because thailand didn't "love" them. I bet they regret it now

It's a bit worrying that previously "Safe" (In terms of being able to stay long term) countries like Thailand, Cambodia and Philippines are making it more difficult to stay, Vietnam seems to currently be going the other way but for how long.

I think the lesson here is that anybody considering retiring to any of these 4 countries (at 52 I put myself in this camp) should always have a plan B,C,D etc... + a Plan "Y" (Plan "Z" being retire in your own Country) for somewhere where you have a guaranteed right to reside (Unfortunately for us Brits the choice is soon to get much, much smaller, so whereas my Plan "Y" was to retire to Portugal, this may not be an option for too much longer).

If I had to leave Thailand and settle down somewhere else in Asia it would be Vietnam for me. Growing economy and they do welcome foreigners even if their immigration policies are not the best . 

I'm here in Thailand 18 yrs. While reading the (most interesting) OP I was saying to myself..."Wow!...will never emigrate to there".   It was like a slap in the face to read on further that the new rules were only "catching up" with the ones here. Glad I never realized this before today....might never have moved here. I had never noticed it ..it would have sounded "too strict" for me had I known all this in advance.

True what they say ..."Ignorence is bliss"....I would have missed out on the best 18 yrs. of my life.

I'm here in Thailand 18 yrs. While reading the (most interesting) OP I was saying to myself..."Wow!...will never emigrate to there".   It was like a slap in the face to read on further that the new rules were only "catching up" with the ones here. Glad I never realized this before today....might never have moved here. I had never noticed it ..it would have sounded "too strict" for me had I known all this in advance.   True what they say ..."Ignorence is bliss"....I would have missed out on the best 18 yrs. of my life.

You don't get deported here for being " rude 'That's scary as hell

You don't get deported here for engaging with prostitutes . Thailand would be devoid of most tourists

Catching up? You must be kidding, they zoomed straight past

It’s all about the same wherever you go as a ex pat the only advantage is the exchange rate now the thai exchange rate is so low

no longeris it the best place to holiday or live

cambodia Vietnam or Philippines is better

im off to the Philippines soon I have been visiting there for 18 years same as Thailand nothing really changes 

life goes on the same it’s what you make of it

for me I’m happy as long as I can get good value for my money 

life is good always while you are smiling ????????????

1 hour ago, vinegarbase said:

Look into Panama, 

You can get permanent residency in about 2-3 months for about $8k USD. I did it years ago and am working on my citizenship as we speak. These are the guys to use. 

https://www.joyful-feet.com

As long as you stay in your gated community in Panama you will be fine and have a nice cheap life. But leave those gates and be careful very careful you are a target.  Beech property and maids cheap. But I don’t know want to live anywhere where I can’t move around the country without concern for my safety. 

On 12/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, madmen said:

Deportable offenses:

OMG

Why havent you guys looked at Bali ?????

modern, clean , good hospitals , cheap , more & more Aussies moving there !!!!!

https://www.9now.com.au/a-current-affair/2018/episode-248

On 12/11/2018 at 11:42 AM, Mike Teavee said:
On 12/11/2018 at 11:13 AM, geriatrickid said:

Nothing unreasonable in the    regulations  indicated. The only people who will be inconvenienced will be those intent on seeking prostitutes or  enaging in unlawful acts. it's about time the PI cleaned up its country and rid itself of the   foreign deviants.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my post was meant to highlight the upcoming changes that moves the Philippines to having similar requirements as the ones that I see people complaining most about in Thailand e.g...

Your post was crystal clear, the 'other' poster was just doing 'their job'. One which has nothing to do about requirements financial or otherwise affecting retirees. sigh, go figure  :thumbsup:

On 12/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, Mike Teavee said:

• Having to have the money in the bank - It looks like you will now need to do this in PI
  • Having to do Address reporting - it looks like you will now need to do this in PI
  • Inconsistent / "Unknown" Immigration Offices - Looks like you will now have this in the PI

I agree with you partly about cleaning up the prostitution but as somebody who believes an adult should have the right to choose for themselves would like to see it legalized rather than being banned - I do think this opens the door to a lot of Scams/Stings e.g. Meet a girl on DIA, go out for dinner, go back to your room, police bust in and accuse you of being with a prostitute, pay the "Fine" or out on your backside you go.

None of these changes would greatly impact me personally (I would go the $20k in the Bank Route & can't remember the last time I spent more than 2 months in any country without visiting somewhere else, and Tax Clearance wouldn't be an issue) , but Never say Never (I could have married my Filippina gf of 8 years, fallen out with her or something and she decides that I'm not supporting her so out I go).

How about Asia is cleaning up its act moving into the modern world and hopefully is finally ready to be rid of desperate pensioners who mostly live in Asia because they can't afford to live anywhere else and are majority responsible face of prostitution in those countries. Yes yes I know Asians see far more prostitutes than foreigners but they are smart enough to at least be discrete about it. Sounds fairly reasonable to me. Much like if you want to live in Thailand as a retiree if you can't afford to pony up the required money in a bank then you can't afford to live here...boo hoo bye bye.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, madmen said:

You don't get deported here for being " rude 'That's scary as hell

You don't get deported here for engaging with prostitutes . Thailand would be devoid of most tourists

Catching up? You must be kidding, they zoomed straight past

Devoid of most tourists? Really ...what year do you think this is 1968...stupidest comment I've read in quite a while. So of the @30 million tourists visiting thailand yearly now what percentage of them would compose of people coming for prostitution?

On 12/12/2018 at 7:26 AM, vinegarbase said:

Look into Panama, 

You can get permanent residency in about 2-3 months for about $8k USD. I did it years ago and am working on my citizenship as we speak. These are the guys to use. 

https://www.joyful-feet.com

Panama is a very nice place actually I’ve been to SAN Blas, and Panama City which is in most parts very advanced. Nice people as well.

2 hours ago, starky said:

How about Asia is cleaning up its act moving into the modern world and hopefully is finally ready to be rid of desperate pensioners who mostly live in Asia because they can't afford to live anywhere else and are majority responsible face of prostitution in those countries. Yes yes I know Asians see far more prostitutes than foreigners but they are smart enough to at least be discrete about it. Sounds fairly reasonable to me. Much like if you want to live in Thailand as a retiree if you can't afford to pony up the required money in a bank then you can't afford to live here...boo hoo bye bye.

I think a lot of people don’t have the 20k but live perfectly good lives here, but with declining exchange rates and  4-5 % inflation a lot will get squeezed out over the long term. 

Not it sure on the prostitutes angle certainally in London the small adds are full of adverts for friendly services and in the main those of us that visit Thailand don’t all come to visit prostitutes ( but I don’t blame those that do). 

On 12/11/2018 at 11:13 AM, geriatrickid said:

Oh, come on, man.

I guess there are 10 million women and girls having children from "fathers" with a disappearing act.

Pinoy "fathers" that is.

Because of those children forcing said girls and women into prostitution because there are no jobs.

And yes, the girls are mostly very young.

Of course there are deviant foreigners, but many, many more Pinoy deviants.

It all is a matter of money, these new rules.

The money spent by foreigners is eyed with growing lust, hence the openings for, errr, envelopes?

I do know, I support two women with a total of seven children from six "fathers".

The stories from them, family and friends just illustrate the problems in The Phillipines are the Phillipinos, the foreigners are just a sideshow, interesting for financial gain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, maprao said:

Why would you go to yo the PI if not for cheap living and cheap girls ????????????????

In fairness, there is lots more to love about the Philippines...

1. The People - Outside of Manila/Angeles, some of the nicest people I've ever met, especially Davao 10 years ago when you could go a week without seeing another foreigner and the Davoenos were genuinely interested in talking to you & learning more about where you were from.
  2. Beautiful beaches, some of the clearest waters you'll ever see... 1st time in Cebu I was stood neck deep in the sea & could clearly see my toes & the fish swimming around me
  3. Amazing nature - Go swimming with Whale Sharks, even swam with a giant turtle of one of the islands 

I honestly love the Philippines, but the infrastructure & food sucks so I'd rather live in Thailand & just visit there for holidays, but please visit Coron, Bahol, Boracay, Surigao etc... & don't judge the place on Angeles & Manila, that's worse than judging Thailand on Pattaya or judging the UK on Liverpool (Joke, I'm from Warrington so we like to have a laugh with scousers & the mancs :))

Archived